Eating on workout days

Options
I recently started "heavy" lifting with a friend of mine and was curious if anyone could give me advice on how I should prep my meals for the heavy work out days. We usually workout late evening and I go straight from work to the gym so I usually scarf down a banana in the car. Any advice would be most welcome.

Replies

• FeersFitness
    Options
    Just try to get your carbs in before and after if you're lifting heavy. A banana is all right but make sure you get a good meal post-workout. Apart from that you don't eat much different on workout days then non-workout days as long as you get your calories and macronutrients.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Just make sure that you hit your macro targets at the end of the day.

Timing should be based on hunger and performance.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Just try to get your carbs in before and after if you're lifting heavy. A banana is all right but make sure you get a good meal post-workout. Apart from that you don't eat much different on workout days then non-workout days as long as you get your calories and macronutrients.

Yeah pretty much. I always make sure I hit my carbs on lifting days with a good amount of protein and then nail protein on recovery days. Timing isn't that big of a deal as long as you hit your targets.
  • Lessthanpenguins
    Lessthanpenguins Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Cool. This makes trying to plan my meals for the day much easier. Thanks for all the advice guys.
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    assuming youre using a structured program..and your ultimate goal is to be stronger (why else would you 'lift heavy')..you should eat anything and everything to ensure that you can keep up with the program. i personally like to eat 20% of my total calories pre workout.
  • CaptainHNNNGGG
    CaptainHNNNGGG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I train at the end of my 18 hour fast. Nutrient timing doesn't matter.

1G of protien per 1 pound of lean body mass
    0.45 fat per 1 pound of body weight
    The rest carbs
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I eat every 3 hours. My trainer has me eating 20-35 grams of protein, and 20-35 grams of carbohydrates with breakfast. 15- 20 grams of protein, and veggie for snack (mid-morning), Lunch 20-35 grams protein, Veggies (15 grams of carb (on cardio day) {none of lifting day}, 15-20 grams protein, 20 - 35 grams carb for mid- afternoon snack (which I eat half an hour before I am off to the gym for my workout. Then dinner I have 20- 35 gram protein, Veggies galore, and I opt for no grain with dinner most days. If I am up long enough for another meal I have a protein snack (usually a shake). I also workout 6 days a week: 3 cardio days, 2 strength training days, 1 yoga or pilates day.
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options

The rest carbs

If nutrient timing doesnt matter then why fast? just curious.
  • CaptainHNNNGGG
    CaptainHNNNGGG Posts: 205 Member
    Options

The rest carbs

If nutrient timing doesnt matter then why fast? just curious.

Eating every 3-4 hours makes me hungry and I get to feast on 2000-3000 calories meals every day.