Help - Sushi!

Options
xarra
xarra Posts: 128 Member
It's our wedding anniversary today and we're planning to go out for dinner at our favourite all-you-can-eat sushi restaurant with a converyor belt.

I'm not going to find it easy to log each bit of sushi... Is there anything I should really avoid (huge plates of rice for one!) and please tell me it won't hurt my weight loss!

I'm going to avoid soy sauce - too much salt...

Replies

• sheyna1983
    sheyna1983 Posts: 137
    Options
    You'll be fine....stick to the protein plates - avoid rice and anything deep fried
  • xarra
    xarra Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Proiblem is, most of the sushi is rice based! And I LOVE their tempura... :/
  • sheyna1983
    Options
    Most....but not all :wink:

OR just make it a cheat day and eat whatever you want.....lol....I'm in the middle of a diet-vacation - been eating what I want for like 5 days and gained 2 pounds back - returning to my diet tomorrow. I need these diet-vacations once in awhile.....I know that's not the best advice but sometimes constant deprivation is bad for the psyche :indifferent:
  • wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Try exercising beforehand so you have some extra calories. Happy anniversary!
  • zazaz
    zazaz Posts: 36
    Options
    Me too I love cheat day. It's important for staying in the track!
  • kelseyfaith
    Options
    I also love sushi,

It is also actually quite a healthy choice and Not that many calls really.

I think its good advice to go and do some exercise before you go and that way you have some extra calls to play with.

dont worry to much it is only one meal out of the rest of your life.

enjoy xxxx happy anniversary xx
  • kimberly428
    Options
    My mouth is watering now...thanks LOL
    Check this link out, it might help you ease your mind. Someone on MFP shared it with me :D

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    I absolutely agree with kelseyfaith. This is one meal out of your life. You're not going to put 10lbs on because you had a little to much sushi one evening! This is an occasion to be enjoyed. You shouldn't be worrying about a few extra calories. I go out maybe once a month for a meal and I have whatever I want. I'm out for a treat and I want something yummy. I can make low-fat slop at home, I'm not going to pay a premium for it at a restaurant!

Exercise before if it makes you feel better. Have whatever you want, just make sure you stop when you're full. This is what I've being doing and I've lost over 50lbs since Xmas.

Enjoy!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You can either a) make it your night out and don't worry too much (just be careful about portions) or b) stick to rolls without cream cheese, eel, creamy sauce or tempora. An average tuna roll (not spicy tuna roll) is approximately 200 calories, for the whole roll (seaweed on outside type). When you have a tempora roll it is more like 600 calories, and a ton of fat.

What I do is, get a cucumber roll to start (delish and refreshing) and eat the whole thing, along with a seaweed salad, and I'm only in for 170 calories (and pretty full by then too)...then my husband and I get a couple of the yummy rolls, and I eat a piece or two from those. I am satisfied, and have actually done well calorie wise!!!
  • dj_stevie_c
    Options
    Sashimi is fine.
    Look for the snacks like Edemame beans (though a little high on salt)
    Try for the rolls that are seeweed but without rice.
    See if you can 'order' something like a Tuna steak or a bento box then just avoid the rice.
  • Kasuko
    Kasuko Posts: 42
    Options
    Cheat days are great, just admit it before hand and don't go over board.

You won't gain all the weight back in one day, and if you admit that it is a cheat day BEFORE the cheating there is no guilt.

What's the point of weightloss if you are just as unhapppy about what you don't get to eat. I am a big believer in balance, that means eating whats right but also getting to eat whats good. Just like everything excess is bad.
  • abbiez
    abbiez Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt do a WHOLE cheat dya, maybe a cheat meal? then again i dont have the emotional capacity for a cheat day.
  • sheyna1983
    Options
    i wouldnt do a WHOLE cheat dya, maybe a cheat meal? then again i dont have the emotional capacity for a cheat day.

hahaha I don't have the emotional capacity to NOT have cheat days :explode:
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I am off to an all-you-can-eat sushi place for lunch.

I pick out avacodo limit cream cheese rolls. No sauces or dips. I just eat sushi..no extra rice, noodles, spring/egg rolls etc. limit tempura (fried) . It still adds up!
    I ate a LIGHT breakfast, small snack and ran 4 miles. I am not planning on eating dinner. I have 1400 calories for lunch and I will probably use that many if not more..sushi adds up FAST! I did this awhile back. This place you actually get to order rolls but you can order as many as you like and each roll is 4 pieces so I was able to remember it (i think) and I was floored how fast the calories went. Today I am prepared!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    It's your anniversary!!! That comes once a year and how often do you get to go out for sushi?? I say.... enjoy the meal and don't worry about it!

I had a "birthday weekend" a couple of weeks ago.... went out for sushi one night (yes, I ate rolls with fried shrimp in it, pretty sure there was a mayo based sauced on one, white rice, etc.) I just enjoyed the meal because it was such a rare treat to get to go out for sushi! (I do always use low sodium soy sauce) I also had a few birthday cupcakes that weekend.... I just made sure that I still exercised as I normally would and ate healthy during my other meals. And Monday morning, I still showed a loss on the scale!

Life is short! Splurge and enjoy the meal! Happy Anniversary!! :drinker:
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I am off to an all-you-can-eat sushi place for lunch.

I pick out avacodo limit cream cheese rolls. No sauces or dips. I just eat sushi..no extra rice, noodles, spring/egg rolls etc. limit tempura (fried) . It still adds up!
    I ate a LIGHT breakfast, small snack and ran 4 miles. I am not planning on eating dinner. I have 1400 calories for lunch and I will probably use that many if not more..sushi adds up FAST! I did this awhile back. This place you actually get to order rolls but you can order as many as you like and each roll is 4 pieces so I was able to remember it (i think) and I was floored how fast the calories went. Today I am prepared!

I would not advise skipping dinner!! :noway:
    It's better to exceed your calories for the day than to skip meals!
  • miss_amy
    miss_amy Posts: 351
    Options
    sushi is my ultimate weakness! so delicious! of course, i'm a sucker for the bad rolls.

i say, enjoy your night out! don't go too overboard, but just remember to work a little harder next time you work out. :)

everyone needs their cheat meals/cheat days!!
  • dcturcotte
    Options
    Try exercising beforehand so you have some extra calories. Happy anniversary!

X2! Try to get a good sweat going just an hour or 2 before you go out for your big night! Not only will this offset your cheat meal it will also get your metabolism firing on all cylinders so that tempura you love so much can burn rather then store. These days/meals are important to scratch that guilty pleasure food itch. It's your anniversary! Live a little! :love:

DON'T skip a meal, this will bite you in the @** your metabolism will slow right down and you're likely to store all you eat at supper!!
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I log each peice of sushi, it's my favorite food on the plant
    -I'm sure you already ate, but this is what I get - nothing deep fried! -

Ebi Sunumono Salad (Shrimp, noodle, cucumbers and carrots)
    4 Pc Salmon Sashimi
    4 Pc Tune Sashimi
    1 brown rice Avacado roll
    With Green Tea

(did your restaurant offer brown rice sushi ? Oh and happy happy anniversary! )
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I just read about this this morning on Eat This, Not That.
    Check out their website rules on Sushi.
    They make great points on what you should eat vs. what you shouldn't.
    Like stay away from cream cheese, eel, anything that comes slathered in sauce (spicy tuna, eel, tempura - also cause it's fried). California rolls are also a no-no. There aren't enough healthy fats in them (according to the article, don't shoot the messenger!).