Why or why not is shakeology right for me?

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I don't get why so many people bash Shakeology. If you don't like it, don't drink it. Why can't people be happy with doing what they like?!

OP asked for opinions. People provided opinions. Thread did as thread was intended to do.

People don't know what bashing is. Here's an example to help stop the confusion:

"Shakeology is the dumbest f***ing thing ever and anyone who even thinks about trying it is the dumbest f***ing person in the world."

That would be considered bashing. This wasn't done in any of the posts that expressed a dislike for using Shakeology for nutrition and weight-loss.
  • brower47
    Options
    Here's the deal. If you aren't going to use it as "meal" for life, then why bother. Statistics will show that people that use any "diet" program will lose weight if followed, but if that isn't a sustainable program for life, that weight regain is inevitable. So the correct approach would be to adapt to a lifestyle of eating food that you KNOW you can control and do throughout your life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

exactly... and exactly why I posed the scenario I did. If the company folds, what then?

I second this line of reasoning.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    ... they still have something to fall back on that helps them get vitamins.

...you mean, like a multivitamin, or whole foods?

I'm just saying, a lot of foods try to trick you into thinking they're healthy when they really aren't. Breads say they have healthy grains and crap, and people who don't know nutrition, think "okay that's great!" when that bread really isn't so good for you. Same thing for potatos and all. I also have a friend on my list here who continuously thinks eating eggs fried in butter is good for her, because they're eggs. Mutltivitamins are the way to go, but chances are you'll still be hungry after you have one. I just think Shakeology is a good choice for people who don't quite have a good understanding of what a "whole food" is. It isn't something that you need to be on daily, but if you happen to be one of those people who think salads are still healthy after 12 tablespoons of dressing, it might be worth a second thought.
    eggs are fine. even if they're fried in butter.

I'm not sure why you're so annoyed that people obviously have a different opinion on Shakeology than you do. If you use it, that's fine. If it's a crutch for you, and you're okay with it, then keep on sailing in that ship.

Bread isn't bad for you, neither are potatoes. The fact that you're condemning these and hugging tighter to your shakeology is a sign that you're still not learning about nutrition while you're sucking down these shakes...

so, if you're only drinking them while you learn about nutrition, might wanna hit the books a little harder.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    ...you don't think 600 calories worth of eggs fried in 6 tablespoons of butter is uh, not the best decision?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't get why so many people bash Shakeology. If you don't like it, don't drink it. If you like it, drink it. It's like broccoli. If eating broccoli suddenly became a new fad on here, half the people would bash it even if they like it. Nobody's making you buy it, or drink it, or anything.

Shakeology is good for a quick meal. You don't need it every day. You can also pop a multi, and a hardboiled egg and generally have the same effect. You can also calorie count and have a deficit to lose weight. It doesn't really matter.

My point, buy a packet off Ebay. If you like it, great. If you don't like it, great. Why can't people be happy with doing what they like?!

The original poster asked for opinions on why it's good or not. These people gave opinions.

I don't see how saying, "well, I love to CHEW my food" is a useful statement. I'm merely guessing that a lot of people who hate Shakeology have never actually tried it. My advice is to try it. Some people will like it, while others won't. No one can manage eating foods they don't like, no matter how healthy they are. You need to like foods that can help you maintain a deficit, or else you'll snap and eat everything. So if Shakeology is one of those foods that helps you not spazz out, use it. If it's broccoli, use it. If it's salad, okay then. Shakeology wasn't created for people that know how to eat properly, it was for people who don't understand nutrition. So while they're LEARNING good nutrition, they still have something to fall back on that helps them get vitamins. I used to drink it until I learned how to eat right, and now I have it once a week at the most. But maybe I'm a slower person, I couldn't learn nutrition overnight.

What if they said "in my opinion, I love to CHEW my food," would that make it more applicable to the OP where she asked for opinions? Fact is some people don't do any shakes, or they do them as suppliments to their daily routine not in replacing the food they like to chew. Personally, I take a mulitvitimin and sometimes a protein shake. I just purchased 2 month's supply of protein powder for both myself and my husband for under $100, I wanted the better "free" gift so I added a 12 box of gluten free protein bars to take me to $124. If I want all of the other stuff in shako I can either eat it or purchase more soluable suppliments. What makes you full is the carb/protein/fat ratio, which you can accomplish by getting a good protein powder and adding to it with natural yumminess like greek yogurt, oats, and fruit.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    its a waste of many and caleries
    eat real food
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

I'm just saying, a lot of foods try to trick you into thinking they're healthy when they really aren't. Breads say they have healthy grains and crap, and people who don't know nutrition, think "okay that's great!" when that bread really isn't so good for you. Same thing for potatos and all. I also have a friend on my list here who continuously thinks eating eggs fried in butter is good for her, because they're eggs. Mutltivitamins are the way to go, but chances are you'll still be hungry after you have one. I just think Shakeology is a good choice for people who don't quite have a good understanding of what a "whole food" is. It isn't something that you need to be on daily, but if you happen to be one of those people who think salads are still healthy after 12 tablespoons of dressing, it might be worth a second thought.

I'm not sure why you're so annoyed that people obviously have a different opinion on Shakeology than you do. If you use it, that's fine. If it's a crutch for you, and you're okay with it, then keep on sailing in that ship.

Bread isn't bad for you, neither are potatoes. The fact that you're condemning these and hugging tighter to your shakeology is a sign that you're still not learning about nutrition while you're sucking down these shakes...

so, if you're only drinking them while you learn about nutrition, might wanna hit the books a little harder.

This. No food is bad for you. :noway:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    ...you don't think 600 calories worth of eggs fried in 6 tablespoons of butter is uh, not the best decision?

Protein and fat. Two of my highest macros for the day..
  • brower47
    Options

I don't think the average person who would fry up 6 eggs would use 6 TBS of butter, that's just a bit of over exaggeration. When I do use butter to fry my eggs (3 eggs) I use about 1/4 of a TBS. It's just so they don't stick to the pan and for a bit of flavor. Sheesh.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

^ I agree with this.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Been using it regularly for over three years and still working great. I've gone a few months here or there without using it and eating clean, keeping my results. For me it's more convenient then taking several vitamins, plus a protein shake, then making breakfast.

yes! same.

Same for me...3 years nearly and I love the taste (I do not sell it, I buy it on Ebay) and it's my "dessert" but for breakfast. It's quick and easy and I will continue to drink it as long as they make it. If they go out of business, I'll find something else. If I could just have this 3 or 4 times a day and no food, I would be happy! LOL!
  • rainavsfood
    rainavsfood Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've done Shakeology for the past two months, and it has really helped regulate my cravings, and I've lost about 15 lbs.
    It's not a magic formula, but it does help keep you satisfied, and it keeps your calories down, which is really the name of the game.

Agreed. I have had it every day for over a month and I love it. That's it.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I drink shakeology as my afternoon snack or protein shake after lifting weights. It gives me energy and tons of vitamins that are not in any other product on the market. It has no artificial sugar and every ingredient on the label you can read. It tastes great, if you don't like you don't have to buy it, I don't get why it's such a heated topic.

Every MLM product is the best.....everyone knows that.

THIS X 1000.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    hey, to each his own. I'd rather not use that many calories towards eggs personally. I'll just leave it to Shakeology is a good supplement, but not a lifelong fix. I see a lot of people on the Beachbody website who used to be models, then started drinking Shakeology, and say it was their claim to fame.

and @brower, I wish I was making that up, but cross my heart, I have a friend on here that does about a cup shaved potatos, 4-6 eggs, and sausages in that much butter. for breakfast. I won't go into detail about the other meals because I think you'll start to get coronary disease just from reading it. I see a lot of people on here that do random things like that because somehow it's stuck in their head that there's no other alternative.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Why would you eat 600 worth of eggs fried in 6 tablespoons of butter when you can have the following for 470 calories (depending on cut of bacon):

2 eggs
    1 tbsp butter
    1 slice udi's gf whole grain bread
    2 slices bacon
    1 cup blueberries
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

If it fits in your budget it isn't a bad decision and likely someone who would actually do that isn't really worrying too much about health to start with. 6Tbsps of butter is a crap load of butter to start with.

Your comment on potatoes and bread make me think your dietary decisions aren't that great either.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I don't get why so many people bash Shakeology. If you don't like it, don't drink it. If you like it, drink it. It's like broccoli. If eating broccoli suddenly became a new fad on here, half the people would bash it even if they like it. Nobody's making you buy it, or drink it, or anything.

It's the continued advertisement by "coaches" they play off as offering help to people. The broccoli growers industry isn't here cointually hawking their stuff to boost sales. Broccoli sells itself.

Beyond that, I don't care if people choose it. I just get sick of certain people making that their only contribution to this website.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Shakeology wasn't created for people that know how to eat properly, it was for people who don't understand nutrition.
    And so that the MLM execs can make a buttload of money off the people who use it. People DON'T need to pay money out to learn about nutrition. It's FREE.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Really I think you are missing out OP.
    If it was me and I was in your situation, I'd become a beachbody coach, like now. Then just sell shakeology to your family members. They are buying it anyways, so why not become their dealer?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

What's wrong with potatoes? Excellent source of potassium and other vitamins and minerals. Potatoes are also very good for heart health and moderating blood pressure. Nothing wrong with bread either so long as you don't have a gluten allergy. I'm thinking you categorize foods as good or bad based on calorie content and you ignore actual nutritional value. I'd also wager that you think fat is bad...when in fact, a good 20-30% of your diet should be fat. Probably also think carbs are the debil...