eating after a workout

Options
I never want to eat after a workout! it seems 2-3 hours go by before I start to feel hungry. I’ve read an array of opinions pertaining to this topic, ranging from: eating after a workout is very important, to, it’s no big deal if you don’t eat after a workout. Any suggestions? Also, if I do end up force feeding myself…what would I benefit most from? many thanks 

Replies

• autumnrunning
    autumnrunning Posts: 103
    Options
    Eat when you got appetite, or try eating something light as a snack

or just drink water or tea until you get hungrier!
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    wait at least an hour! let the body work its Magic!
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Depends on the work out. After any work out I'm not hungry, but since I want to build some muscle I make sure and drink a protein shake within 15 minutes of finishing my weight training. Studies have come out showing that getting proteing soon after lifting helps with muscle building. That's when your body needs that protein the most in order to repair and build the muscles.

After cardio I normally wait at least 30 minutes before eating anything just to let my body cool down.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter when you eat... waiting 1 minute, 30 minutes, an hour or whatever doesn't matter.. trust
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake within 30 minutes if finishing my workout..helps me not get sore.
  • scottgobuck
    scottgobuck Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%, after lifting you need to get protein to the muscles within in an hour. after doing cardio for me thats running or biking it doesnt have to be as soon but I am usually hunger after an hour or so anyway
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake within 30 minutes if finishing my workout..helps me not get sore.

Yup, the anabolic window to help build/preserve muscle after lifting. It really does depend on your workout.
    tumblr_m4ivdtspdC1rwcc6bo1_500.gif
  • juniperleaves
    Options
    I've heard that if you're lifting, having protien directly afterwards helps build muscle, though I haven't really looked into it myself. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Maybe try feeding yourself something small (a piece of cheese, fruit, etc) and see if that helps your appetite.

Generally I would say to just wait and eat when you're hungry, but often times I can go through an entire day of work without ever feeling hungry and then by the end of the day I'm starving and end up eating way too much. So just nibble on something small and see what happens! :)
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    most of the research i've seen says 4:1 carb to protein ratio is best.

best in liquid form for faster digestion and the higher GI the carbs the better. the one time processed carbs are your friend.

If you don't believe in the research for god's sake at least have a protein shake or piece of chicken anyway.

As long as it fits into your calories/macros for the day, you certainly wont be hurting yourself, so why not do it just in case its important.

even if your not hungry immediately after a workout, you might find eatting right after will make for less hunger later ( well i guess thats obvious lol)
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    oh, and pretty much all the research i've read recommends this to endurance atheletes.

but then it also states that it would be appropriate for any form of exercise that heavily depleates muscle glycogen, and i'd have to say weight training does that.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i cannot imagine not being hungry after one of my workouts. if i were- i would go workout harder- until i am hungry. your muscles need protein if you are weight training and also some carbohydrates to recover. for me, the most important meal of my day is my post workout. sometimes i would have a protein shake plus a small meal (egg whites and half cup of vegetables). i guess how much you eat depends on the intensity of your workout.