How to Cook Spinach

Options
I know it may be a silly question, but I'm curious as to how to cook spinach. I'm not the best cook by any means and I've been wanting to branch out and try some fruits and vegetables that I don't usually eat. I do enjoy spinach but most videos and recipes I see online call for it to be dowsed in oil and salt and what not. Is there any way to boil spinach without having to have all the added fat?

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I put a little water in a pan and put the spinach in and cover. The water basically steams the spinach.
  • JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Do you season it at all or just eat it plain?
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I do the "steam" method as well. I, myself, LOVE salt a little too much and add it. You could use any seasoning that you like. :)
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    A little fresh lemon on lime squirted on it is downright awesome!! :heart:
  • ssteinbring677
    ssteinbring677 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I usually spray a pan with cooking spray, mince a clove of garlic, chop some onion, and throw it all together in the pan uncovered, stirring often. Takes about 3 minutes and tastes so good!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I steam it and add a little butter and salt to it on my plate.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Do you season it at all or just eat it plain?

I like to drizzle a few drops of soy paste on it and a little black pepper.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    The nutrients are absorbed better if you add just a bit of olive oil. I use a teaspoon to 4 cups of a veggie.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I usually spray a pan with cooking spray, mince a clove of garlic, chop some onion, and throw it all together in the pan uncovered, stirring often. Takes about 3 minutes and tastes so good!

Almost exactly what we do except we just put a little olive oil in the pan instead of a spray =)
    It is SO good <3 My fiancé loves spinach!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    I just wilt mine in a non-stick skillet with a bit of olive oil. S&P to taste.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Quick steam till it's bright green and not wilted.

spray butter and light salt to taste, or I like using flavored vinegars.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I love spinach. I was raised having it steamed and then served with butter, salt and pepper on top. I like to toss spinach into stir fries, pasta sauces etc at the end and just let it wilt.
    I also like to saute some onions in a non-stick pan with a little butter or olive oil and let them soften, then I add garlic and the spinach and let it cook.
  • tarajoyce09
    tarajoyce09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use a little bit of Olive and add garlic and sautee...Delish And some times i had a little bite of Fat Free feta my husband loves it.

And also I will take that and stuff chicken breast with it and bake.