What does a 'rest day' mean for you?

Options
I was thinking about this last night, as I have not taken a 'rest day' in 25 days, mostly because of my fear of falling off of fitness altogether like I have so many times before. I have worked with personal trainers and read many articles about the importance of having a rest day, that most of the work our bodies are doing with weight loss is after the exercising is done. So I am not asking for advice regarding if we should rest or not, but more what does a 'rest day' entail. In my personal opinion it does not mean we should lay around doing nothing at all, but more about curtailing the power fitness sessions we engage in all the other days.

So what do you do on your 'rest days'? Or what does a 'rest day' mean for you? No exercise at all? Light exercise outside your normal cardio/weightlifting days? Or vegging on the couch all day? I am not looking for 'know it all' trollers on here so please take that somewhere else. The reason I say this is because I have seen so much condescension and rude people on the forums. I have been reluctant to even post. I am just curious as to what others do and don't do.

Love&Light
Nirvani

Replies

• skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I take rest days twice a week, and sometimes three times if I am unusually busy or traveling. I live in an urban area and walk almost everywhere or take public transportation, so on my rest days, I usually end up walking somewhere, but that's it.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i do not BELIEVE in rest days,, every day i do something, just not as intense,, and i do a different thing every day 7 days a week,
  • Nsdnjbl
    Nsdnjbl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Eating right, not excersising maybe. Rest day doesn't mean going to get Mcdonalds frappe....although I love them.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i dont do rest days
  • brentbarrie
    brentbarrie Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Other than a day that I take off from my workout, nothing. I still watch mo calories and go about my day as I would any other. The only thing different is that I don't work out.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I try to take a rest day once a week and that just means that I don't do an intense workout. I will still walk the dog, maybe do an easy 30 min on treadmill if I am feeling antsy. My rest day means no sweating :laugh:
  • brentbarrie
    brentbarrie Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Eating right, not excersising maybe. Rest day doesn't mean going to get Mcdonalds frappe....although I love them.

I want to try one of those new caramel ones at Starbucks SO bad.
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Options
    In my opinion, it's good to take a day off at least once a week (depending on the intensity of your workouts). By "take a day off" I don't mean sit on the couch all day, I mean don't do any kind of vigorous exercise. It's still good to get up and move around.

If you continually workout every single day eventually you'll burn yourself out on it and quit altogether (this is true for any hobby, not just working out). It's important to take a break from time to time not only to allow your body to recuperate, but to allow yourself some personal time to do other things.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I lift 5 days a week, and I have my rest days on the weekends with yoga and swimming. :smile:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    For me, it's a day I don't go to the gym or do home bodyweight exercises. Basically just a recovery day. Still do regular activities (mow, walk around, whatever). If I could take a "day of sleep" I'd definitely do that. Just can't.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Go about my normal routine minus working out.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    It pertains to my workout schedule (not my food schedule). I aim for 5 days a week of working out. 2 rest days.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    A rest day for me is still staying within my calorie target and NOT doing a a planned workout. This might still include a walk or some other active activity with the family.
    For me a workout includes cardio (for warm-up, + more if I have time) and a heavy weight lifting session, which is usually about 30mins. The weights I do on alternate days to allow for muscle recovery.
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Try and have 1 complete rest day, no lifting/running/swimming/cycling - I'll still go out for a walk, but that's it. stay on track with exercise.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I had to take one yesterday. I worked out hard Sunday and Monday and I had such muscle soreness that the thought of going to them almost brought me to tears. I did manage to take the dog for two long walks I usually take 2-3 rest days a week. As stated, it pertains to my workout schedule but not my food goals. I continue to try to be active (walk on the treadmill or take the dog for long walks if the weather is nice). But it means skipping a gym day and letting my muscles rest.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    About one day per week, I don't do any intense physical activity. I do manage to walk the dogs for a couple miles on my "rest" day, so I'm still active, just not doing something that my body will need to recover from. In the last few months I've really stepped up my exercise, so it's important to let my body recover. I'm finding my body really benefits from a rest day, so I force myself to do it. I'm not into "cheat" days food wise, so that always stays the same.
  • Lessthanpenguins
    Lessthanpenguins Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My rest days are days where I just don't do my lifting. I might do some moderate to intense cardio workouts or maybe go play some vollyball or soccer but I avoid the weights like the plague.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Work out less (walks are not with the intent of working out, for example), and stay on-track with calories and macros.
  • SammyRotten
    SammyRotten Posts: 20
    Options
    i sometimes just need rest days because i'm sore or too busy. for me a rest day means clean eating (like always) and less or no exercise.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    What is this "rest day" you speak of? O_o haha

I do something every day. Right now it's Insanity 6 days a week and I am starting a running program to add in 4 days a week as well. Saturday is technically my rest day - but I still run, or lift, or do a long walk. But I don't just take a pass to veg out all day.