6 Exercise Myths

Options
Six Exercise Myths

Chances are you've heard all kinds of advice when it comes to working out. But are these maxims fact — or fiction? Don't believe these common workout whoppers:

Myth #1: Exercise should hurt. Whether you've been told "No pain, no gain," or that you should "feel the burn," the reality is that exercise doesn't have to be painful to be effective. In fact, pushing yourself too hard, too fast will most likely lead to an injury — not a fit physique!

Myth #2: You can target specific areas. Don't buy into the myth of spot exercising to reduce fat in a particular area. While it's true that strengthening exercises will target specific muscles — for example, crunches strengthen your abdominal muscles — no exercise can burn fat in a specific area.

Myth #3: To benefit from cardio, you have to do it for at least an hour at a time. It's just not true that if you don't have an hour to exercise, you may as well not bother. For weight loss, it's just as effective to work out frequently for shorter periods (such as 10 or 15 minutes). Remember, it all adds up.

Myth #4: If you strength train, you'll get bulky. Many people avoid strength training because they're afraid it will cause them to bulk up. The truth is, while resistance training helps you maintain your lean muscle mass, building substantial amounts of muscle is very difficult, especially when you're losing weight. Unless you're a bodybuilder following a program designed to increase your muscle mass, odds are you won't bulk up.

Myth #5: If you exercise, you can eat whatever you want. While exercise does burn calories, what and how much you eat still matters. For example, a one-mile walk burns about 100 calories — so you'd have to walk for 12 miles to burn off the typical 1,200-calorie fast-food meal of a hamburger, fries, and a soft drink!

Myth #6: There's a quick fix. When it comes to fitness, slow and steady wins the race. Don't buy into advertisements that promise certain fitness equipment or activities will get you in shape quickly or with no effort.

From Duke Diet & Fitness
Home | About the Duke Diet | Tools | Meet the Experts | Lifestyle Coaching | Food and Recipes
This site does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

More information.
Visit EverydayHealth.com for Expert Advice on:
Copyright © 2010 Everyday Health, Inc.
Use of this site is subject to our terms of service and privacy policy. All material provided on this website is provided for informational or educational purposes only. Consult a physician regarding the applicability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your symptoms or medical condition.

Replies

• sheyna1983
    sheyna1983 Posts: 137
    Options

Myth #5: If you exercise, you can eat whatever you want. While exercise does burn calories, what and how much you eat still matters. For example, a one-mile walk burns about 100 calories — so you'd have to walk for 12 miles to burn off the typical 1,200-calorie fast-food meal of a hamburger, fries, and a soft drink!

Haha...I wish that were true! :tongue:
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post. I think we need reminders sometimes....I know I do :laugh:

Mary
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options

Myth #1: Exercise should hurt. Whether you've been told "No pain, no gain," or that you should "feel the burn," the reality is that exercise doesn't have to be painful to be effective. In fact, pushing yourself too hard, too fast will most likely lead to an injury — not a fit physique!

Man , I hurt all the time anyways! lol
    Myth #4: If you strength train, you'll get bulky. Many people avoid strength training because they're afraid it will cause them to bulk up. The truth is, while resistance training helps you maintain your lean muscle mass, building substantial amounts of muscle is very difficult, especially when you're losing weight. Unless you're a bodybuilder following a program designed to increase your muscle mass, odds are you won't bulk up.

This one drives me crazy! I just wanna scream at every girl that tells me they dont lift weights cuz they dont want to look manly. AHH!
  • sheyna1983
    sheyna1983 Posts: 137
    Options
    Yah I hurt all the time too.....I thought it was a good thing :indifferent:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options

This one drives me crazy! I just wanna scream at every girl that tells me they dont lift weights cuz they dont want to look manly. AHH!

Or how about they will gain weight if they strength train, so they only want to do cardio. Or muscle weighs more than fat. Need I go on. Yes a lot of myths on this point, especially among women. Men's bodies are made to build muscle anyways. We would have to be in gym non-stop and probably taking steroids to gain TOO much muscle mass.
  • callie365
    callie365 Posts: 689
    Options
    Bump... Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • MPJS
    MPJS Posts: 465
    Options
    Mollie you have the best stuff on earth!
    it's like you know right what to say!
    THANK YOU:flowerforyou: