success tips that helped you the most

Options

Replies

• kellymill2
    kellymill2 Posts: 21
    Options
    Yes, Heart Rate Monitor is awesome idea. love it. Also keeping track of the calories that you burned. Another thing I found extremely helpful was detoxing off the bad carbs and refined sugar. That makes the biggest difference.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    learn the correct definition of "wasteful"

wasteful is not
    - leaving food on your plate in a restaurant because you've had enough
    - throwing away food leftover from a party because it doesn't fit your nutrition plan
    - discarding the last of the brown lettuce and getting a nice fresh one because you know you'll feel like eating it if it is fresh
    - throwing away candy that someone bought for you
    - ordering dessert but eating only a couple bites because you just wanted a little taste of something sweet
    - buying new pants in the in-between size of your weight loss because looking better will help motivate you

wasteful is
    - using too much dressing on your salad because there's a little bit left at the end of the bottle
    - buying cookies instead of fruit because you know every single one will be eaten before they go bad
    - downing the last mouthful of juice as you get up from the table just because it's in your glass
    - emptying the last of the sauce onto your plate because you can't stand the sight of some left in the pan
    - saving your fat clothes "just in case" instead of donating them or selling them

"wasteful" is wasting calories and money on stuff that is not good for your body. if you discard something that isn't good for you, then it is not wasteful.
    ^ I needed that! Love it!
  • ayankeefan51
    ayankeefan51 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. I would also add to make small weight loss goals if you have a lot to lose. Whatever you eat make sure to stay within your daily calories even if that means adding what you'll eat for the day before the meal so you know what you'll have left to use. Workout everyday at least 30 min. Strength train at least a couple times a week. Also watch your sodium levels because that can make you gain weight.
  • mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    bump! great tips!
  • LovelyVegetarian
    LovelyVegetarian Posts: 117 Member
    Options

wasteful is not
    - throwing away food leftover from a party because it doesn't fit your nutrition plan
    - discarding the last of the brown lettuce and getting a nice fresh one because you know you'll feel like eating it if it is fresh
    - ordering dessert but eating only a couple bites because you just wanted a little taste of something sweet
    - buying new pants in the in-between size of your weight loss because looking better will help motivate you

wasteful is
    - using too much dressing on your salad because there's a little bit left at the end of the bottle
    - buying cookies instead of fruit because you know every single one will be eaten before they go bad
    - downing the last mouthful of juice as you get up from the table just because it's in your glass
    - emptying the last of the sauce onto your plate because you can't stand the sight of some left in the pan
    - saving your fat clothes "just in case" instead of donating them or selling them

"wasteful" is wasting calories and money on stuff that is not good for your body. if you discard something that isn't good for you, then it is not wasteful.

THIS!!!!! Learn that it's ok to throw out the leftovers of your kids food if it's not what fits in your overall goal. One of the hardest things for me to learn.
  • LovelyVegetarian
    LovelyVegetarian Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I second (third, fourth, fifth etc.) the WATER comments. If i don't drink enough, I get headaches. Also, and I know this isn't for everyone, skip breakfast. I don't like breafast, never have - I'm not hungry in the morning and I don't want to force myself to eat just because I'm supposed to. Ever since I've followed my own body and eaten when I do feel hungry, it's made a huge difference! Also, watch those carbs....they are in everything!
  • springsmomto3
    springsmomto3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is great advice! If it's something you can't stick with long term.....you never will.
  • dcazll
    dcazll Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    For me, working on my attitude, expectations and knowing the realities of this process have helped me not only lose weight but to stick with it.

*Weight loss is not linear, and one bad weigh in is not going to discourage me to the point of quitting. Gains and maintains are part of the process as well as the losses.

*I don't rely on much as motivation as much as I rely on determination.

*Slipping up is not the end of the world. I accept what I have done, figure out how to handle it better the next time and move on. If I slip up early in the day I don't use it as an excuse to call the rest of the day a loss and I don't skip meals to make up for it.

*Life is too short for substitutes and it's ok to have what I want in moderation.
  • hladams8110
    hladams8110 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

wasteful is not

wasteful is

THIS!!!!! Learn that it's ok to throw out the leftovers of your kids food if it's not what fits in your overall goal. One of the hardest things for me to learn.

This is all awesome advice. Also, don't finish eating something if you don't like it, even if it causes people to make comments
  • cheryl1586
    cheryl1586 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • getrealforme
    Options
    Get moving........move, move move and move some more. Get a Fitbit, or Jawbone UP, so that you know exactly what your BMR and TDEE is, and how much you really should be eating.

"Being overweight, and out of shape is difficult. Losing weight, and getting in shape is difficult. Pick your difficult:"
  • montlucia
    montlucia Posts: 90
    Options
    1. Do it for yourself.
    2. Every day is a new day. Don't be tempted to get into a cycle of feeling guilty if you allow yourself to indulge.
    3. Don't write off a whole day if you eat one unhealthy thing.
    4. Be patient. Achieving goals takes time and it doesn't matter if you don't achieve it quickly. You feel good just because you're working towards something.

:)
  • lunaleah
    lunaleah Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    SLEEP. Less alcohol. Log every day no matter what. Keep a checklist of little to bigger goals and mark them off as you go. Keep one pair of before pants and keep trying them back on to see your progress. Don't eat chemical laden foods. Only water and real juices. Also, SLEEP. SLEEP. SLEEP.
  • JustME1611
    JustME1611 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain the weight overnight and you are not going to lose the weight overnight either. Don't give up no matter what adversity you face. Even if you have a bad couple of days, just get right back to it!
  • muktyfitness
    muktyfitness Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    great post

wasteful is not

wasteful is

Thanks for posting this I just printeded it out. This is one thing that I have always and still struggle with. I don't have to eat that last bite.
    [/quote]
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Have patience is the single greatest tip you can embrace. After that, I would say never give up, regardless if you haven't lost any weight for a month, or two months etc..
  • Csoldano
    Csoldano Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    do what works for YOU...just don't lie to yourself and make yourself think something is working, be honest with yourself.

Also eating crud every once in awhile won't gain everything you lost over night. THAT is something I still have issues with..
  • theedge56
    theedge56 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This is a very simple game.
    You throw the ball,
    you catch the ball,
    you hit the ball
  • AnnElizabeth11
    Options
    Never ever give up no matter how hard it may seem at times and don't discourage yourself if you take rest days and indulge in something unhealthy once and a while, or haven't lost weight as fast as you have imagined you would. Enjoy the burn and have patience, in the end it'll be worth all of your hard work. You only out what you put into it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!