Need motivation and tips for first half marathon

Options
amyx593
amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
Hi everyone!

I'm running my first half marathon on June 2nd. I've never participated in an organized race before, and just started jogging back in February. I was never a runner before.

I signed up for this because a friend convinced me to- he has run a few before and it was almost a dare to do it. I was eager to sign up because running a HM is on my bucket list! If he wasn't involved in my starting to run, I would have started out slower (a few 5ks... 10ks... etc, slowly). Anyhow, I have almost completed my training schedule and although I'm slow, I feel confident that I can complete this thing.

Problem is.... he just dropped out. He claims to be having back problems (cough, cough). I have never even been to a race. I don't know what to expect or how to prepare! I was counting on him for this. He pushed me to do this and now I'm left figuring out all of the details on my own, last minute.

Basically, I am looking for motivational support... advice... What do I wear? When and what should I eat pre-race? Do I eat those gel thingies? Should I start out slow? Is it going to be really hectic and confusing? How much water should I drink? I am just nervous because I have no idea what to expect.

FYI, additional details- this is the Rock and Roll San Diego HM. My only goal is to FINISH! Hopefully no longer than 2hr 45min. My training only takes me up to 10 miles, which I jogged/walked last Saturday. All of my training runs have been in the afternoon, but the run starts at 6:45am- will that be a problem? I am F, 27 y/o, new to running. Doing this alone :( hopefully being alone won't take the fun out of it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Replies

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Contact (or even better, join) a running club or running shoe store in the area and get paired with a new partner or join a training group that is doing this race.........people will help you, honest , and runnners are some great people, generous with time for someone in your situation. You do realize that what you are doing is going to be pretty major and not easy? Best of luck!!!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    If the race has pace groups, sign up with one. Regardless, just go do it. You'll make friends with the people around you.

Otherwise, don't try anything new on race day. Eat what you are used to eating, wear what you are used to wearing. There is good advice in here. Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race?hl=your+first+race
  • Run_Forever
    Run_Forever Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Congrats on signing up for a half ! The important thing is to concentrate on finishing the race, don't even worry about your time considering this is your first race.

"What do I wear?" Wear whatever you feel most comfortable in. It really doesn't matter what you wear, just wear something you feel comfortable in.

"When and what should I eat pre-race?" Personally I start carb loading with foods like pasta about 48 hours prior to a race. I wouldn't change up to much of your diet but if you can get a few extra carbs into your body 24 to 48 hours before it would be helpful.

"Should I start out slow? " Yes, it will be better to start off slow rather than fast. Considering this is going to be the furthest distance you have ever run your body will thank you later for starting off slow.

"Is it going to be really hectic and confusing?" Races are generally very well organized, shouldn't be any issues.

"How much water should I drink?" If you are thirsty drink, you may want to consider investing in a hydration belt. Its a belt that holds between 2 to 4 small water bottles and sometimes its way more convenient than trying to get water at aid stations. I usually get water at aid stations and save the water on my hydration belt until I really need it.

Most importantly have fun ! My first race I was so nervous but it was so much fun I got hooked.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    All I can say is good luck! I am at a 5 mile (running nonstop) wall and I have never ran more than an hour. My goal is to run a 10k I couldn't even imagine doing a half marathon!! Get out there as much as you can to increase your distance, until the day before the race (you should rest!! Good luck!! Oh, yeah it is easier to run in the morning!!
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you everyone! I feel a lot better now. I do realize that this is a major thing- I think that's why I'm stressing over it so much! I know that no matter what, I will be proud of myself after I cross that finish line, walking OR running! I will look into these running groups and/or make sure to get to know those around me.

Thanks again, it means a lot!
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Bump for the advice. OP I'm like you and running my first ever race this summer which also happens to be a half marathon. I started running in January.
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    First off... congrats!! Its a blast.. Just take it slow... your training will get you to the finish, just dont destroy it by eating weird things and not being hydrated. Use all the water stops and kepp moving forward.. Good luck too you!!
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on tackling your first half! I just did my first half this past Sunday, and it was lots of fun. All the above advice is terrific, and the only thing I'd add is to get a good night's sleep and lay out all your gear the night before.

Don't do what I did: I tried just thinking of it as an extended long run but still didn't sleep well. I should have relaxed more and thought less. Just chill and think of how awesome you are going to be!

Good luck and have fun!