P90X Questions

Options
So a friend of my husband has P90X and offered to let me borrow it. I do 3 days of cardio (speed intervals for 20-30 mins) and on the other 3 days of a set routine of strength exercises. I also have just started doing Jillian's 30 Day Shred every weekday. I am interested in the program but concerned about my fitness level being ready for that leap. His friend suggested just starting out with the core stuff as an addition to my current routine and then going in to P90X. Any thoughts from someone who has tried it?

Replies

• jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I just started P90X last week and loved it, but it is intense. Prior to starting, I have been an avid runner (I logged 35 miles the week before I started) and strength trained for 45 minutes at least twice a week.

I have taken it easy on the P90X since starting (you choose how many reps of each exercise you are doing, for the most part, and the DVD's do offer modifications).

I would say try it out since it's free, but go into it with caution -- after my second day I got ballsy and went hiking/rock climbing after the plyometrics workout and ended up having my calves lock up -- as a result, I had to take a week off of running. I absolutely love the workouts, though, they are super fun!! Just know your limits and don't push too hard. Don't try to do the set schedule they have if you're having a hard time. Your friend's suggestion about using the core workouts is a good idea.
  • sheyna1983
    sheyna1983 Posts: 137
    Options
    Plyometrics is probably the toughest part so just make sure you stretch well and don't push yourself too too hard with that one. That was my mistake and every time I did it I would be too sore to do any workout besides cardio for days.
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    i love it just started 4th week 4 day today !!
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    The 2 biggest hurdles w/p90x are your own mind & time. You have to have it in your mind to commit to the program & do the workouts & get your nutrition in check, etc & time because the workouts are long. As far as your fitness level, I think you're fine. Plus, you go at your own pace in p90x & just do as many push-ups or whatever as YOU can.

If you're current routine is getting old & you aren't seeing results anymore, then it is probably a great time to try p90x. You're basically already doing the schedule by working out 6 days a week. If you can do p90x for free, I say go for it. It was the best fitness decision I've ever made.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    It is tough, but the motto of the program is "Do your best and forget the rest!" You can modify the moves (doing girly pushups instead of regular, not squatting as low, etc). I went into it not having worked out in over a year and I am doing fine.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    The 2 biggest hurdles w/p90x are your own mind & time. You have to have it in your mind to commit to the program & do the workouts & get your nutrition in check, etc & time because the workouts are long. As far as your fitness level, I think you're fine. Plus, you go at your own pace in p90x & just do as many push-ups or whatever as YOU can.

If you're current routine is getting old & you aren't seeing results anymore, then it is probably a great time to try p90x. You're basically already doing the schedule by working out 6 days a week. If you can do p90x for free, I say go for it. It was the best fitness decision I've ever made.

I agree. I 'borrowed' it too and I actually started out kind of tentative at first - wondering if I'd really be able to keep up the time commitment and nutritional commitments - but I got hooked. I am now in week 8 or 9 (I extended phase 1 cuz I started out kinda half committed). I've definitely gotten a lot stronger and am starting to see abs. Just replace what you're doing now with P90x and I think you'll like it. They do a great job of showing you adjusted ways of doing the moves to eventually get you to the point where you can execute them the way they do.

If I were to go back to the beginning though, I'd say make sure to follow the nutrition plan as much as you can. I didn't take that serious until a few weeks into it and I think my visual results could've been much improved (if that's what you're after). No question it will make you stronger though.