Why does everyone think it's WHAT they eat that matters?

Options
Jackson4590
Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
I read so many threads on here about giving up this or that, limiting this or that, etc. It's not what you eat, it's how much you eat that matters. You just need to chose if you want calorie-dense food or more of a less-dense food.

If you have to lose a lot of weight and restrict what tastes good you're going to fail. So instead of giving up pizza why not just eat one less slice per meal? Instead of Guinness drink a Miller Lite. I really don't understand why people are so dang hard on themselves. Good luck!

Replies

• jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Instead of Guinness drink a Miller Lite.

^ This is not an option! Otherwise, I agree.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

Agreed. Miller Lite tastes like @ss, I'll take the extra calories, thank you.
  • Nicki_101
    Nicki_101 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Very true
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I read so many threads on here about giving up this or that, limiting this or that, etc. It's not what you eat, it's how much you eat that matters. You just need to chose if you want calorie-dense food or more of a less-dense food.

If you have to lose a lot of weight and restrict what tastes good you're going to fail. So instead of giving up pizza why not just eat one less slice per meal? Instead of Guinness drink a Miller Lite. I really don't understand why people are so dang hard on themselves. Good luck!

I agree with this. You just need to make smarter choices, and still have that fast food if you want it. I think and feel that it is all in the choices and planning. If you know you are having a big lunch/dinner plan for it and adjust the rest of the day and exercise. I still eat pizza and pasta, just in smaller portions.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Actually, Guiness is pretty low cal as beer goes...

Other than that, I totally agree...
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Because macros are still important. You can't just be under your calorie goal eating only cake and expect to be healthy or feel good. Not that you have to cut it out, but sometimes when people have that one slice of pizza it turns into half a pizza (that's what happens to me every time) or one beer turns into six.
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't give up what I love...I just find the healthier alternative. If that's not possible..then I just walk away. Giving something up to become healthier is a lot cheaper than eating smaller amounts, and being sick. Doctors are expensive!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

I get your point and tend to agree, but in the real world, both matter, and one might be more important than the other depending on a person's goals.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options

Second this! I am not giving up a good beer, especially for Miller effin Lite. Shiz taste like water with a hint of piss.

Another thing, some people are just intolerant to some things. If I eat to many carbs, I am all bloated and gassy, which is bad for weight loss and bad for everyone around me. I definitely keep a good balance of carbs/fat/protein as much as possible.
  • JasonT1973
    JasonT1973 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I can understand your point, but you have to understand that most people wander through life eating whatever they feel like. Many people on here are trying to do things right and need to create a disciplined approach to their new lifestyle. While I can see your point about the foods, no doctor / nutritionist in the world will tell you that eating 2 scoops of ice cream and a fat slice of cake is an adequate replacement for 3 balanced, healthy meals with the same calorie count. The trick I’ve found is learning to like healthier choices. I’ve got a long way to go, but at least I’m on the right track. :happy:
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    IDK Even when I stay within my caloric goal while eating junk like pizza and McDonalds I notice it makes me stall. Not gain but not loose either . I think for some people what you eat does count.
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I wasn't serious with the Miller Lite argument, it was just an example. Sheesh you people are picky! :)
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm picking up what you're laying down, but if they truly want to get healthy, it's not just about weight loss. Sometime in the road to getting in shape and getting active, I realized that there is stuff i just don't want to consume. I"m NOT, I repeat, NOT slamming people who eat highly processed foods, or telling them that they can't lose weight if they do. That's ignorant. For me, the biggest, and definitely the most beneficial part of the process so far has been making my own food and knowing as much about what the hell is in it as possible. That is a lifestyle change and it is sustainable. People shouldn't overwhelm themselves, but when I see myself at the goal, my lifestyle doesn't include stuff that's had 90% of its nutrients destroyed BEFORE I even nuke it.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I wasn't serious with the Miller Lite argument, it was just an example. Sheesh you people are picky! :)

It should be a MFP rule, Don't mess with people's beer. Someone post in the suggestions/feedback.:laugh:
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I agree that some folks are way too strict with themselves, but nutrition matters too. Balance is the key. A few years ago I was super busy & eating sloppy. I was very little at 108 lbs, but was anything but healthy. I became very anemic, fainted and knocked myself unconscious. Guess a package of nabs with a coke shouldn't be lunch all of the time.:noway: Hindsight is 20/20. I straightened up my act right quick.

Yes, enjoy life. Eat your spinach. With a burger. :happy:
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Guinness is pretty low calorie. Now, a nice microbrewed imperial stout at 300+ calories per 12 oz. yeah, those'll getchya.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

SLAP_zps62fa0a2d.gif
  • brainzap
    brainzap Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    For me, it is what I eat.
    If I eat a massive 2-lb salad with cucumber, tomato, avocado, and tuna which only comes to 300 calories, I will feel invigorated, full, and satisfied.
    If I eat a 2.5oz bar of chocolate which comes to 300 calories, it will taste good while I'm eating it, but I'll still be hungry and I will feel unsatisfied and have heartburn.
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options

Because you cant fuel a Dragster with unleaded!

That's why!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm not being "hard on myself" by avoiding foods that make me sick. I got sick of being sick. What I was eating led me to binge eating disorder, pre-diabetes, chronic pain, severe depression... on and on. Being sick all the time sucked. I suppose your logic dictates that I should have waited to have full blown diabetes before taking action...

For ME, what I eat absolutely matters, more than anything else. And when I see other super obese people having the same difficulties as I had all of my adult life and everyone is saying "moderation" and "willpower" and "it's only calories in and calories out" (with zero understanding of how metabolism is regulated in the human body!), and then ridiculing those of us who have had different experience and want to help other people get healthy and stop hating themselves, frankly, it pisses me off. :mad: