Man in Business Suit - Flat Front or Pleated Pants?

Options
So I'm a mid to late thirties professional in a somewhat conservative accounting firm. I just got put on a client that will require me to wear a professional business suit 3-4 days per week at the client. Acknowledging how much that is going to suck in the heat of the summer, I will still need to pick up 2-3 new suits. The big question - flat front or pleated pants?

I have a relatively athletic build while still trying to lose another 3-4 inches off my waist. The internet seems to have quite a bit of bias toward flat front, but when I look around the only people I really see wearing flat front are those in their 20's or those that are extremely lean/skinny (not muscular at all). What say you, MFP?

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    With a dress suit I like a few pleats.

Casual suit, don't care either way.

I don't really like the look of the flat front personally.
  • goldenboy2532
    goldenboy2532 Posts: 856
    Options
    I rock the flat front. Honestly, I think the pleats are well suited for the gentlemen that are more than few pounds heavy
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    flat front. always.
  • NotRailMeat
    NotRailMeat Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Suit Jacket = Pleats
    Blazer or Sports Coat = Flat Front

In case you don't know the difference between the three...
    http://dappered.com/2011/06/the-differences-between-a-sportcoat-blazer-and-suit-jacket/
  • jersey_jenn
    jersey_jenn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I prefer the look of the flat front, pleats seem too poofy, especially when seated.
  • hellokittymaui
    hellokittymaui Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm.....I'd have to see you in said flat-front or pleated suit pants. :wink:

I say, whichever one YOU feel comfortable in and feel that YOU look best in.
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    so a few years ago I heard a couple of the younger female professionals in our office discussing how some men just should not wear flat front pants. I assumed that was aimed at guys that were overweight but I'd be interested to know the female perspective here on if there are guys that should not wear flat front pants and opt for pleats. Is it simply fat guys should go for pleats?
  • fitnh
    fitnh Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I vote flat front.
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I prefer my husband in flat front pants but here's some info I found on Josbank.com

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/ContentView?storeId=11001&catalogId=10050&contentKey=DRESSPANTS

Pleated dress pants are the classic look. Pleats have a couple benefits, like adding detail to the pants as well as flattering large-built body types. If you have larger legs, carry extra weight in your midsection, or have a broad upper body, pleated pants will help balance out your appearance. They may actually help you look slimmer. One to two pleats will sufficiently capture this effect.

Flat-front pants, on the other hand, are more modern and complement a business casual look. Plain front slacks have no pleats, giving them a slimmer and more tailored appearance. Men with slim-built body types look best in this type of pant.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    IMO Flat Front looks nicer. I dont personally care for Pleated Pants on men or women.
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Always flat!
  • mulsas
    mulsas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    While purists still like pleats because they do serve a functional purpose, the trend is definitely towards flat front. Last year I picked up two BB suits (though an online reseller, I would not normally be able to afford their stuff) with flat front pants, and I think they look great. I feel like the key with flat front dress pants is that you have to be reasonably slim/fit to pull them off, otherwise it isn't flattering. But at the same time, they can't be too slim, otherwise it just isn't professional, and everyone will be able to see everything you are carrying in your pockets. There still needs to be some natural drape to them. I think some of the more fashion brand suits look silly, because they come with basically skinny pants. Also, the cut of your dress shirts needs to match the suit. Since flat fronts offer a slimmer profile, it won't look right with a fuller cut shirt.
  • Power_Man77
    Power_Man77 Posts: 207
    Options
    I rock the flat front. Honestly, I think the pleats are well suited for the gentlemen that are more than few pounds heavy

This works for me
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    In my humble opinion - Flat fronts. Always. Unless you are over 60 or still living in the 80's. I have never seen pleat fronts looking good on ANY man, fat, thin, muscled, ugly, good looking, actor, model or man in the street. None. Not one....
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    Flat fronts, provided you are mindful of the cut not showing too much. I get the thumbs up from my wife before all pants purchases.
  • kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    NO PLEATS!!! PLEASE NO PLEATS! ever.
  • PeanutButterLuver
    Options
    Defintely NO PLEATS!!!
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Flat front
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    I own both but Flat Fronts are the way to go.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    NEVER pleats. They have been horribly out of style for a very long time.