Foods that I thought I would never try and now love!

Options
Previously I would never eat a salad that had fruit in it. I couldn't get over the thought of fruit being mixed with lettuce, meat etc
OH BUT BOY HAVE I BEEN MISSING OUT!!! For lunch I ate a salad that had Chicken, walnuts, granola, strawberries, blueberries, blue cheese crumble and of course lettuce. It was SO GOOD. What about you'al? Any foods you said you would never try and end up liking/loving them? Mine was also asparagus, squash and zucchini. Im now an ASPARASQAZINI Queen :bigsmile:. Last Saturday I tried Butternut Squash, didn't like it. I have Spheghetti squash as well lets see how that goes

~What say you'al? What's something that you thought you would never but you went out on a limb and now like/love it! OR something you that you want to try but need the guts to do so!

Replies

• fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Yum, that salad sounds good! I've never liked beets. Maybe I should give them another try.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try that salad because I tend to hate salad and fruit too!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I always hated pickled beets and would pitch a fit whenever my mom would can homemade beets because I hated the smell.

Now I love them and eat them all the time.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Along the same lines, I always thought of fruit salad as a dessert. But now, I'll eat that for lunch.

Also, sushi. I didn't think I could take raw fish. Nowadays, I'm craving it.
  • KCPT17
    KCPT17 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hummus!! Now I eat it everyday :)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Sea Urchin
    Squid guts
    Tripe

Each absolutely delicious when fresh and prepared properly
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I LOVE them now but I did roast some brussels sprouts last night and they weren't bad. I'd probably like them better if they were sauteed in bacon fat but they weren't too bad tossed with olive oil and roasted.
  • Sweet_Misery_
    Sweet_Misery_ Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I used to think the same thing, that lettuce and fruit together was just weird, and I wouldn't even try it. A couple months ago I was at a party and a friend brought this salad -- so simple too! It's just mixed greens, cut up strawberries, sliced almonds, and raspberry vinaigrette dressing. I make it at least once a week, it is soooo good, and the dressing is not even that high in calories!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    My parents were raised poor and had a taste for every piece or part of any animal you might name. So, that's what we were served as kids.
    No leaving the table till your plate was clean.
    No other food till that food was eaten.

In other words, we learned to try everything and eat (and say thank you) even when we did not like something. I've always been open to pretty much anything remotely edible.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Green beans

I could not eat them until recently

Only fresh off the plant or sauteed al dente
  • faedreamer1
    faedreamer1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Broccoli and spinach. My mother didn't buy any real fresh produce other than iceberg lettuce and tomatoes, so I had no idea how spinach was supposed to taste, not the canned disgusting stuff. Same for broccoli, I'd only ever had broccoli that had been cooked to death and frozen into microwave meals.

Now I basically use baby spinach as lettuce for my salads and buy huge bunches of broccoli to cook into all my asian type dinners and to steam for on the side, too. Love. But I was 34 years old before I got on board with either of those foods.

I'd add anything vegetarian to that as well. I love meatless meatballs and veggie burgers and vegan 'bacon'. Almond milk instead of regular milk, stuff like that. I'd have wanted to vomit at the idea of eating any of that a few years ago, but now they're staples in my diet and I'll often have whole days where I don't eat meat without even noticing because I had a veggie burger or something instead.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    My taste has changed a lot lately.
    I never use to like pork tenderloin, beets, sprouts, ribs
    are some of the main items that i never use to eat and now crave to eat.
  • diaryofaskinnygirl
    Options
    Hummus, Peanut Butter and Sushi. Yummy :)
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I used to be the pickiest eater as a kid. Throughout my adult life I seem to be eating more and more, not just simply because of MFP.

But I still can't do fish, seafood or onions. Yah I'm pretty weird.
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    vegetables... i HATE vegetables.... i dont love them yet but im slowly working my way to eating more and i am starting to like them. :smile: