Why does everyone think it's WHAT they eat that matters?

Replies

• richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    I think we need a MFP craft beer meetup. Hatred of Miller Lite, bringing MFP together since 2013.

There's a group for that!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/11910-craft-beer-and-home-brewing
  • kevokie
    kevokie Posts: 53 Member
    Instead of Guinness drink a Miller Lite.

With that statement, you lost all credibility! Someone said it best, only a crazy person would say that. Now gtfo. And good luck.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member

^ This is not an option! Otherwise, I agree.

Haha, agreed.

Although I don't agree with the OP. Calories from fruit or vegetables is fat better for you than calories from chocolate or beer. Yes, it is about calories but your macros also come into it and that does depend on what foods you are eating.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Because macros are still important. You can't just be under your calorie goal eating only cake and expect to be healthy or feel good. Not that you have to cut it out, but sometimes when people have that one slice of pizza it turns into half a pizza (that's what happens to me every time) or one beer turns into six.

This^
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    I read so many threads on here about giving up this or that, limiting this or that, etc. It's not what you eat, it's how much you eat that matters. You just need to chose if you want calorie-dense food or more of a less-dense food.

If you have to lose a lot of weight and restrict what tastes good you're going to fail. So instead of giving up pizza why not just eat one less slice per meal? Instead of Guinness drink a Miller Lite. I really don't understand why people are so dang hard on themselves. Good luck!

I did what you're referring to for 3 years... and I lost weight, but I didn't look good. Ever since I started eating more "clean" I've felt healthier, stronger, and my body looks better than ever.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member

Believe it or not despite it's thickness guiness is one of the lower calorie beers out there at 120 per 12 ounces (compared to 150 for the average lager, 160-210 for ale and 200-220 for a porter). The malt is toasted which burns off some of the sugars

http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/guinness/draught-(can)
    http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/03/17/guinness-a-dieters-beer-choice/

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 can (14.9oz)

Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 0Calories 155

% Daily Values*
    Total Fat 0g 0%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 0mg 0%
    Potassium 0mg
    Total Carbohydrate 9.9g 3%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 0g
    Protein 0.3g

Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 0% Iron 0%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
  • benapp21
    benapp21 Posts: 5
    what? whats the point of eating that one less slice if its unhealthy... you're not going to feel any better and you will just feel even more hungry and craving another slice. why don't you just save that pizza for a cheat meal? Not really any healthy selections when it comes to pizza anyways unless you find a pizza doh substitute. You just have to eat smaller portions and have certain foods in moderation.
  • gretchenk77
    gretchenk77 Posts: 13
    We all have to start somewhere.

I don't have the willpower, yet, to leap directly from my half-a-pizza habit into completely healthy ones. But just by being here, and being completely honest in my food diary, I'm already more *aware* of what I'm putting into my mouth than I have been in years. Baby steps.

As far as beer goes? Meh. I'd rather have vodka.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    I think people should just do what's right for them. I cut out a lot of food and for good reason. For me, it's just easier if I just don't eat/drink certain things even if it's in moderation. But I do understand your point.
  • You should not just be concerned with weight loss, you should be concerned with your overall health. Being healthy should be a goal for everyone to have. When's the last time you heard someone honestly say "I really want to die young!" "I am excited to get cancer!" or "All this GMO stuff is awesome, give me more chemicals please!"

It should be ALL about WHAT you eat, not just the marcos.

QFabsoluteT :flowerforyou:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    As reported on CNN:

Twinkies. Nutty bars. Powdered donuts.

For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.

His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.

The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months.

For a class project, Haub limited himself to less than 1,800 calories a day. A man of Haub's pre-dieting size usually consumes about 2,600 calories daily. So he followed a basic principle of weight loss: He consumed significantly fewer calories than he burned.

His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds.

But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.

Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.

AND

He also took a multivitamin pill and drank a protein shake daily. And he ate vegetables, typically a can of green beans or three to four celery stalks.

So basically he did 600 calories of protein/veggies, took care of basic vitamin needs, and ate 1200 calories of crap per day for 10 weeks. He lost weight because he ate below maintenance. He wasn't trying to go to the next level (actually looking good) - he was just trying to get to a normal BMI. And he succeeded at that.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member

Agreed. Miller Lite tastes like @ss, I'll take the extra calories, thank you.

I'll third this. I would exercise an extra 30 mins to ear the extra calories in Guinness that choke down that yellow swill. But on the rest, I agree with OP, as long as IIFYM.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    I read so many threads on here about giving up this or that, limiting this or that, etc. It's not what you eat, it's how much you eat that matters.

If you just ate sugar, but you limited the intake to keep a caloric deficit, that would help you lose weight. Sure. But the point of trying to incorporate healthier food choices is not just about weight loss but to find more balanced choices that allow you to eat food with other nutritional value or that are less processed. Of course you have to limit those higher calorie foods. But it is aslo good for satiety and feeling full to find healthier choices.

I ate a bag of Kit Kat mins yesterday. 320 calories.
    I had almost 8 ounces of Tilapia, with better protein and nutrtional value at 340 calories.

Now, I don't completely cut Kit Kat minis, cuz honestly, I don't want to and they rule. But I do make a better choice more often to NOT have them.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member

I'll third this. I would exercise an extra 30 mins to ear the extra calories in Guinness that choke down that yellow swill. But on the rest, I agree with OP, as long as IIFYM.

I posted this on FB and here earlier today.

575779_391474097631445_1292018283_n.jpg
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Our stomachs don't actually measure the amount of calories we eat, it simply doesn't matter to our stomach. But, our stomachs do measure the volume of food we eat and it is amazingly accurate at doing so. So for many of us we simply have to eat foods that are heavier and have more volume but, far less calories than what we were eating. There is no law that these foods can't taste good, they can, but we certainly can't just eat less and expect our stomach to just automatically go along with that.

This is, from my understanding, and personal experience, only half the story. If I eat enough salad and soup to make it physically uncomfortable for me to eat any more, if my caloric needs have not been fulfilled, I will still be hungry. This is to do with hormonal signals from the body.

This is how a body is meant to work. In those who are obese, or who have been obese, it can stop working properly. I sometimes wonder if this is why so many on mfp seem to think that a full stomach means they can't be hungry.
  • apriljackss
    apriljackss Posts: 96 Member
    Instead of Guinness drink a Miller Lite

To some degree I agree with most of what you said, but Miller Lite for Guiness. Blasphemy! Besides, a 12 oz. bottle of Guinness or Guinness draft is only 125 calories, only about 30 more than miller. It's the way it's brewed that makes it feel so much heavier. So drink up, people! :drinker:
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Guinness is actually one of the most naturally light beers!!! (Just wanted to let OP know in case he's been forgoing Guiness!!!)

As you were.

For God's sake ... Guiness is not a beer ... don't be lumping it in there ...
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member

I posted this on FB and here earlier today.

575779_391474097631445_1292018283_n.jpg

Shhh, now I won't do the extra workout... :tongue: But good to know. I love me some Guiness!!!
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Guinness is pretty low calorie. Now, a nice microbrewed imperial stout at 300+ calories per 12 oz. yeah, those'll getchya.
    True but those calories are sooooo worth it.
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    " Instead of Guinness drink a Miller Lite."

No thank you. I'd rather stop drinking all together if I had to put down my Guinness :P
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    I aim for balance, but balance for some of us is hard, especially for those who are prone to addiction, or to emotional eating issues, or who are sensitive to sugar. I have to reach a very delicate balance with my treats, because if I have just a little too much, it can spiral into a full on binge. I also feel better mentally and physically when I am putting good things into my body. Thus, I get in plenty of lean protein, fruit, vegetables and healthy complex carbs, and workout hard so I can also have cake, chocolate and ice cream in moderate amounts if I so wish.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member

Very ironic statement. Isn't this changing WHAT you eat not how much.

Plus both of these are not exactly fine examples of beers. How about have one flavour-packed micro brew beer instead of six ****ty mass-produced beers. That would be an appropriate example of changing how much you eat
  • badgerbabs
    badgerbabs Posts: 49 Member
    Spoken like a 29-year-old. You're still young enough to get away with eating pretty much anything you want to, and yeah, if you stay under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. However...

I now have type II diabetes because of what I ate. Even when I wasn't gaining weight, I was making myself sicker and sicker by eating WAY too much pasta and WAY too little protein. And if you're starting a weight training program, you're not going to be able to build muscle by eating (and drinking) all the carbs you want. YOU CAN'T BUILD MUSCLE WITHOUT PROTEIN.

My diagnosis took beer off the "regular intake" menu for me forever. Have I had a beer since? Yes. One. It tasted pretty good, but you know what? Not good enough to be worth jeopardizing my health. There are many other ways I'd rather spend my calories.
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    As reported on CNN:

Twinkies. Nutty bars. Powdered donuts.

For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.

His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.

The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months.

For a class project, Haub limited himself to less than 1,800 calories a day. A man of Haub's pre-dieting size usually consumes about 2,600 calories daily. So he followed a basic principle of weight loss: He consumed significantly fewer calories than he burned.

His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds.

But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.

Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.

AND

He also took a multivitamin pill and drank a protein shake daily. And he ate vegetables, typically a can of green beans or three to four celery stalks.

So basically he did 600 calories of protein/veggies, took care of basic vitamin needs, and ate 1200 calories of crap per day for 10 weeks. He lost weight because he ate below maintenance. He wasn't trying to go to the next level (actually looking good) - he was just trying to get to a normal BMI. And he succeeded at that.

Thanks for the add-on. I must have missed that part of the story.
  • sd0104
    sd0104 Posts: 40 Member
    For me, it is what I eat.
    If I eat a massive 2-lb salad with cucumber, tomato, avocado, and tuna which only comes to 300 calories, I will feel invigorated, full, and satisfied.
    If I eat a 2.5oz bar of chocolate which comes to 300 calories, it will taste good while I'm eating it, but I'll still be hungry and I will feel unsatisfied and have heartburn.

That's the point that I made, though. Your calorie-dense chocolate bar isn't satisfying whereas your big salad is. You decide what to eat for your calories. For example, as a test, if you only ate 1,200 calories of chocolate bars each day you'd still lose weight. I see so many people on this site only wanting to lose weight (and fast!). So cut down what you eat. Period. Of course it matters what we put in our bodies but from a pure calories in/out perspective just eat less. You're going to fail if you cut out pizza, beer, a candy bar, etc. That's why when I lost my weight I focused on the calories only.

^^^This^^^

I totally agree - from a purely caloric point as long as I'm within my calorie goal I'm good. Don't get me wrong, I typically choose healthy options BUT if I want a slice of pizza or cake or a chocolate bar I will eat it - for me, denying myself food I enjoy will lead me to failure. The most important thing I've learned from MFP is that portion control is everything!!! Eat the right serving size (and don't guess actually figure it out!) . If what you're doing works for you (portion control, cutting out all sweets/carbs etc..etc..) that's awesome!! As long as your able to sustain your way of eating for long term success :)
  • Dharmafor1
    Dharmafor1 Posts: 32
    I would never drink a Miller lite... Or any lite beer for that matter. If I want a Guniness, good craft or Belgium beer, and I do, I will wait for the appropriate time. I guess I haven't had a beer in about 2 months now and it's bothering my craft beer snobs more than me. I have several cases of good stock in my basement and I will wait. I love pizza too, but if a slice or two is gonna kill a bunch of calories and hard work and then I have to be more careful the rest of the day, then I personally don't think it's worth it, IMO. When I started cleaning my diet I figured a cheat meal in once a week. Ive skipped the last three weeks weekly cheat meal and I dont feel I am missing anything. You have to do what works for you. To each his or her own. There is a time for all seasons.
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Holy crap you guys took one example and totally blew it out of proportion. Let's try this another way. Say you wanted to use less gas. A Fiat is going to use a lot less than a Cadillac Escalade. So if your one goal is to reduce gas usage it makes sense to switch. No one ever said the Fiat is better, or more stylish, than the Escalade, just that on a pure gas in/gas out analysis it performs better. That's what I meant, trolls :) !
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Eating clean can be the key to how cut you are.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Certain foods make me feel happier, fuller, calmer, more energetic and/or stronger than others. Also, the same foods that tend to help me feel calm and strong are foods that help my skin and hair look awesome and are less likely to cause further cravings. But to each their own.