quick - help me resist an evening snack?!?

Options
My first day here. I've eaten over my calories today :0(
Starving hungry and craving crackers and cheese.
What am I doing wrong? Any encouraging words to help me stay strong?

Replies

• lilalief
    lilalief Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you can, go to bed and get some rest. Avoid temptation. You can do it :-) some days are just tougher than others. Whenever I can and I crave for something at night, I go to bed or workout, depending on the time, haha.
  • SweetLove1988
    SweetLove1988 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Can't really help unless we see your diary and what you are eating.
  • KristiLeighS
    KristiLeighS Posts: 112
    Options
    if you really are hungry first drink some water then if you need to eat something do it. you should never be starving. tomorrow is a new day for you to make better food choices so that doesn't happen.
  • skinnysushicat
    skinnysushicat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Wow quick responses - thank you! How do I show you my food diary? (off to explore settings). I know EXACTLY why I went over - I ate 2 Mr Kiplings at a family lunch!!!
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My first day here. I've eaten over my calories today :0(
    Starving hungry and craving crackers and cheese.
    What am I doing wrong? Any encouraging words to help me stay strong?

fill your house with healthy snacks.....
  • skinnysushicat
    Options
    I guess I just thought as I'd eaten overall a healthy day (apart from the cakes...) that I should be feeling full :0(
  • skinnysushicat
    Options
    I have been sipping water, it helps a bit :0)
  • joyhealey
    joyhealey Posts: 3
    Options
    Cheese will pile on the calories! Drink water to make you feel full.
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If you are a coffee drinker this helps too.
  • skinnysushicat
    Options
    Don't like coffee, but might have some decaff tea - the milk will add a few more calories though!
    I know cheese is awful - I am veggie, and it is my downfall. Cream crackers are pretty bad too!
    I have shared my food diary. Apart from the obvious Mr Kiplings, what else should I change? This is a pretty average day, except usually I would eat less lunch but more dinner - the same sorts of foods though.
    I think I should swap to a healthier breakfast - it's too sugary!
  • amyLhuff
    amyLhuff Posts: 102
    Options
    Always have healthy snacks if your still hungry after a big glass of water eat something small. And if you workout that will give you extra calories just in case you do need to go over them. Your body should get used to the amount of calories soon it took me a couple weeks before I was used to eating less. Fill your day with lots of veggies protein and fiber.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Eat something if you're that hungry, unless you are just bored and in that case go brush your teeth, take a swig of mouth wash and find something to do before you go to bed.
  • heatherminshull
    Options
    Hi. You have only just started. Have you planned your food in advance. I am doing a plan (through gym) and have my meals and snacks pre-planned. I do blip once in a while but I try to put right straight after.
    It may be that you need to go back a few days...plan your menus for next week / buy food that you need/ plan snacks. The throw out the stuff you are trying to avoid. By the way - 2 crackers and a small piece of cheese is ok before bed...swap to cottage cheese and you can have more. Protein before bed is allowed. Not seen your food diary...can you give an eg
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It looks like you could stand to get some more protein in your diet. Protein, fat, and fiber all help to keep us feeling full. Ditch the crackers next time and go for hard boiled eggs, Greek yogurt, beef jerky, almonds, or anything with more protein.
  • pbrinnm
    pbrinnm Posts: 39
    Options
    This is a strategy my trainer offered and it helps me figure out if I'm really hungry or if something else is going on:

1. I ask myself if I'm hungry enough to eat the least appealing food (i.e., celery) I can think of.
    2. If I'm willing to eat the food then I'm really hungry and I know I'm eating wrong (usually not enough protein) that day.
    3. If I'm not willing to eat celery then I'm bored, under stress, something else that leads to emotional eating.
    4. I address what is leading to emotional eating (I change my routine, take a short walk, something that gets my mind off of whatever I'm craving).

My strategy might not work for anyone else, but it helped me figure out that my cravings are frequently in my head. I also gathered data about my cravings and that's when I figured out I crave when I eat too many starchy carbs and not enough protein.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I dring a big glass of water and go read a book. But I also keep celery in the fridge for "just in case". Celery is so low-cal it's practically a freebie. And it helps with the need for "crunch" that I get in the evenings.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    It's your first day and this is part of the learning process. So now you can eat something and go over your calories, or be hungry and not go over your calories. Either way, tomorrow you'll know better.
  • AspenHarrison
    AspenHarrison Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If it's too early for bed, drink up on water... chew some sugar free gum... chew ice. Smelling lemons or mint is supposed to help. Brush, gargle, and floss. Look at motivating pics and inspirational messages (I go to pinterest) or just check out some good sites, like dailyhiit :)
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Look at motivating pics and inspirational messages (I go to pinterest)
    Haha, that wouldn't help me, my Pinterest is filled with recipes :)
  • iceman7840
    iceman7840 Posts: 110
    Options
    My advice...don't expect to move mountains on the first day. Your diet doesn't have to be abolutely perfect right away. Slowly cut things out and progress towards a healthier way of living.