late shift, immediate dinner ideas. ( no, not take out :) )

Options
Ok, You get in from your late shift ,you didn't think about dinner before you left for work, and you are STARVING !! what is your go-to meal ? Do you just say " sod it " and go to bed hangry or do you have a few immediate store cupboard / freezer staples that will fit the bill ?

Replies

• Fit_French
    Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Prep for the week on your day off, that way there's no excuses!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese or Greek Yogurt and berries if wanting something really fast. But I eat late almost everynight and cook something like meat/fish with veggies.
  • Mrs_Wellington
    Options
    i should get more organised !! i tend to think i'm doing ok but probably not planning far enough in front. ta.x
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Usually Campbell's Chunky Soup. Not the worst, not the best, but filling and quick.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I try to keep a veggie/dip tray in the fridge, that way, if I'm too hungry to think about eating something healthy, I can munch on them until I figure it out. I also have a stash of single servings of dinner leftovers in the freezer, they would work in a pinch!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I make a quick fried egg with an English muffin and laughing cow cheese.
  • saviarre
    saviarre Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I keep those pre-cooked grilled chicken breast strips (Tyson brand usually, or whatever's on sale) and a bag of frozen vegetables on hand. I usually toss some frozen mixed veggies and some precooked chicken breast in a bowl, toss it in the microwave, add some Mrs. Dash, and I'm happy as a clam. I also do this when I forget to bring a lunch to work. Instead of heading out for fast food, I go to the grocery store and get those and heat them at work. Much healthier than any microwave meal. Tastier too.
  • Tracie1082
    Tracie1082 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I always seem to have leftovers in my fridge that I could heat up, but if I don't then I always have sweet potatoes on hand that I could put in the microwave or make a quick stirfry with veggies. :)
  • Mrs_Wellington
    Options
    thanks guys !! i appreciate your input . will try harder-honest. x
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I usually get in really late - I work till 6, but between all my evening activities, I make it home before 9.30 pm maybe once a week.

Quick dinners for me (other than leftovers I can reheat) are:

Microwave rice and quorn chunks or beans and veggies from the freezer, plus an egg.

A vegetable stir-fry with noodles. They take less time to cook than rice.

Fresh pasta/tortellini (which take less than 5 minutes to cook) with sauce (made ahead and frozen or from a jar, in a pinch).

Pancakes - usually savoury. Tonight's dinner, for example, was buckwheat pancakes with spinach, onion, and feta filling.

An omelette and nice fresh bread with vegetables in pesto.

Hummus and things to dip in it.

And once in a while, something frozen I can shove in the oven - eg. a quorn fillet, potato wedges, and frozen vegetables - which then cooks while I shower.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    First off if you can try to prevent it from happening in the first place, that would be ideal for you. I know that when I'm starving iI either make poor food choices or overeat unintentionally (I eat so quickly that cant be bothered to measure and eat more than I should). I always carry snacks with me - protein bars, nuts, beef jerky, etc. - either in my purse, desk at work at in my car. If I end up skipping a meal or I'm out and really hungry and dont want to run to a drive through I have options. Also it prevents me from feeling like I'm starving and risking losing self control.

But sometimes it does just happen, thats why I always have some frozen meals or canned soups at home (generally I avoid them like the plague, but every now and then you need a quick meal). Or if its something you can prepare for, then prepare it like you would any other meal on the go - portion it out in advance and not cook on the spot while your starving.

Hope that helps, I know for me proper meal planning has helped a LOT in sticking with MFP and weight loss
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    or you can to drive through/ take out but make it healthy, like grilled chicken/ fish with salad or low fat soup. I also do that often.
  • princessdartany
    princessdartany Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    healthy choice steamers...frozen meals.....low sodium
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    lol. A ham sandwich or McDonald. I'm ashamed
  • emilymaya16
    emilymaya16 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm gna be short on time for cooking (for example now I have exams and am spending a lot of time revising late at the library) I make a massive batch of something and freeze it up in boxes. Chilli con carne is a really easy thing to do in batches and all you have to do is get some boil in the bag rice, and warm up your chilli portion, dinner in 5! You'll need to remember to get the box out to defrost that morning or the night before though. Other options:
    Chilli con carne
    Chicken curry
    Bolognese
    Chicken and mushrooms in creamy sauce
    Risotto
    Anything you fancy!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs in the fridge keep for weeks and are super quick.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Protein shake / smoothie.
  • Mrs_Wellington
    Options
    @okapi, could you post the recipe for the pancakes please? they sound lovely ! and cherry- we all have happy foods,lol:heart:
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    @okapi, could you post the recipe for the pancakes please? they sound lovely ! and cherry- we all have happy foods,lol:heart:

Certainly! I make my pancakes with lots of egg because my GP says I should eat more of them, but you don't really need more than one. I mix 80g of buckwheat flour, 1 or more eggs, and 100ml of milk. Add a bit of water if it's too thick. You can use plain or wholegrain flour instead, I just really like buckwheat... Then fry in a pan - make them thinnish, more like crepes than breakfast pancakes. Should make 2-3 big ones.

The filling can cook at the same time - for just myself, I use a small onion, 100g (half a bag) of spinach, 30g of feta, and some nutmeg. If you're really short on time, zap the onion in the microwave, otherwise, fry it in a little bit of oil, then add a tablespoon or two of water and the spinach, just until it wilts. Sprinkle on some salt and nutmeg as well as anything else you fancy, then stir in 30g of feta cubes and fill the pancakes with it.
  • whitterbugkru
    Options
    I grab a meat piece from the butcher area-- steak, pork chop, drumsticks, thighs.