Dissapointed with insanity calorie burn...

13»

Replies

• amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    I also enjoy both running and Insanity. I've been doing Insanity for a month, and it has definitely helped me run faster. Not sure what your running goals are, but this was a great side benefit for me! (Not to mention the toning effect and overall inches lost)
  • lexlyn14
    lexlyn14 Posts: 290 Member
    I also enjoy both running and Insanity. I've been doing Insanity for a month, and it has definitely helped me run faster. Not sure what your running goals are, but this was a great side benefit for me! (Not to mention the toning effect and overall inches lost)

Thanks I feel the same way!!!
  • dcander2
    dcander2 Posts: 19
    Firstly, well done for committing to the 60-day program. Having done it myself, I know it's tough.

As for your calorie burns, I still manage to burn 600+ cals in a 50 minute Insanity: Asylum workout, but what's important to remember is that, when you strip it down to its bare bones, it's HIIT training. This means that not only do you burn calories during the workout, but you've also got the 'afterburn effect', which states that, even when you've stopped exercising, you will continue to burn calories at a higher rate than you would if you had done steady-state cardio. This extra post-workout calorie burn will not be reflected in your HRM readings, but will certainly contribute to your daily calorie burn.

Don't be disheartened by the figure on your HRM. Keep that information in your head, it'll help you feel more motivated and rewarded. Insanity is a wonderful tool to reshape your body and if you enjoy your running, it'll help you aerobically so much. Stick at it...I wish you the best of luck with the rest of the program.

Seeing such low #'s on insanity compared to others results was really getting me down because it felt like a "waste" even though I was tired and extremely sore. Knowing that the after effects are different with this style makes me a feel a bit better. perhaps i'll keep my HRM on tomorrow after i do it to compare calories burned with normal calories w/o a workout
  • dianna912
    dianna912 Posts: 1 Member
    I am wondering if you are using a combined GPS/HRM. I use the Garmin 405, and I noticed my calorie burn was ridiculously low when I used it the heart rate. Essentially it was still basing calories on mileage (which was, surprisingly around .7 miles, I guess because you move around so much. At an average HR of 166 for 30 minutes, I knew it couldn't be right, so I used a calculator online based on average heart rate, time and my stats, and my calorie burn was 3x higher.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I am wondering if you are using a combined GPS/HRM. I use the Garmin 405, and I noticed my calorie burn was ridiculously low when I used it the heart rate. Essentially it was still basing calories on mileage (which was, surprisingly around .7 miles, I guess because you move around so much. At an average HR of 166 for 30 minutes, I knew it couldn't be right, so I used a calculator online based on average heart rate, time and my stats, and my calorie burn was 3x higher.

The Garmin 405 and many other of the older models do not base calorie estimates on heart rate. I believe all the newer Garmin models do.