what does "eating clean" consist of?

Options
I've been eating well cutting back sodium and sugar, but wanted to read what you all define eating clean as??

Replies

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Washing your hands before you eat.

Folks use "I eat clean" to mean so many varied things - no processed foods, or no foods that have "artificial ingredients" (often defined as having a 'chemical' listed on the label by scientific name, or no fried foods, or no sauces, or. . . you get the idea. "Eating clean" winds up having about as much validity for an actual discussion as labeling a food "wholesome".
  • skitttlesrock
    skitttlesrock Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    ok got it.. I have become all of that.. not 100% yet, but it's hard to break old habits sometimes..
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Lean meats (chicken and fish, mostly), lots of vegetables, fruits, whole wheat breads. Nothing processed... light on things like mayo and butter... you know.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Pretty soon the "no grain, no dairy, free range, only organic everything, only grass-fed beef people" will be here....

• MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You mean hippys
  • NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was told that it means the foods that you eat have less then 10 ingredients. Or maybe that's 'whole foods'?
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    The process of cleansing your food. I typically like to eat potato chips dipped in toothpaste and burger doused with mouthwash to ensure that 99.9% of contaminants are removed. A lot of food is dirty and handled by a lot of people so it's important to eat clean.
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Eating clean to me means eating real food, protein, fruits, veggies and healthy fats. Avoid over processed garbage food.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Pretty soon the "no grain, no dairy, free range, only organic everything, only grass-fed beef people" will be here....

And the vegans, the pescitarians, the raw foodists. . . .
  • skitttlesrock
    skitttlesrock Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Eating clean to me means eating real food, protein, fruits, veggies and healthy fats. Avoid over processed garbage food.

what about whey protein powder of pure protein bars or quest protein bars?
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    100% unprocessed foods including whey protein. It comes straight out of a cow as choc/peanut butter flavoured powder.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Eliminating or greatly reducing unhealthy foods, processed foods, and empty calorie foods.

For fats, you eliminate saturated fat and transfats and consume more monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, EFA's, Omega 3 and 6 fats.

For carbs you eliminate sugar and white starch (white bread, white pasta, white rice) with the exception of the sugar food in dairy and fruits (not fruit juice), yet those are used in moderation. Fibrous, whole grain, and starchy low GI complex carbs should be emphasized. Controlled insulin levels is very important in losing fat and eliminating cravings. Sugar in fruit is seen not that harmful as whole fruit has fiber and tons of antioxidants.

For protein you emphasize lean sources with little fat with the exception of fish like Salmon. You also consume complete protein foods as opposed to getting the majority of your protein from fruits and grains which have incomplete proteins. You can supplement with whey protein too.

Then reduce sodium levels as high levels of sodium are associated with hypertension.

Eat like this and you'll reduce bodyfat, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and any acid reflux symptoms. Of course, if you need to lose weight, you'll need to reduce calories.
  • wanttoloseweight4
    Options
    RllyGudTweetr what is that in your pic i want it! it looks good!
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    So much bro in this thread.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    anything not on the floor longer than 5 seconds

It means whatever you want it to mean. Everyone has an interpretation. Figure out what foods your body likes and forget about food rules.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It really means different things to different people. Probably the best way to go if you're curious is search second-hand bookstores for "The Eat Clean Diet" by Tosca Reno. I have a copy, and it's more about principles than execution. That being said, it's hard as a vegetarian to eat the way she suggests.
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Many people have their own opinions on what eating clean is. Mostly I would say not eating processed foods. Things from a box, can or frozen with additives. You can take that as extreme as you want. I try to stick with lean proteins, vegetables, whole grains, fruits.
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Food, mostly.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Yep, we are already here..........