Breakfast: Oatmeal vs Smoothies?

Options
I'm trying to figure out what a better breakfast for weight loss is, oatmeal (or quick oats) vs a smoothie?

I like to make a veggie smoothie with basically 1 cup almond milk, 1 serving whey protein, kale or spinach, flax seed, ice (sometimes add carrots, or beets). Fills me up until lunch!!

But I'm reading how important breakfast is and that maybe I should be getting carbs in the morning?

I could do oatmeal with flax, but don't see how to add the veggies in. I also saw these recipes for overnight oats which seem like a nice fill (below).

I love that I'm getting all of these veggies in the morning, and it doesn't seem like something that is easily transportable to the office that I could have for lunch...

PM Ingredients:
1/3 cup regular oats
1 cup almond milk, and more if needed
1-2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 ripe banana, peeled and smashed
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions: Mix together the above ingredients in a bowl and place in fridge overnight.

Read more: http://ohsheglows.com/2010/04/08/easy-vegan-overnight-oats/#ixzz2U42vFudQ

Replies

• TheDirtyBulker
    Options
    Neither......Go with eggs for breakfast. The benefits of eggs are amazing.
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I've been known to add oats to my smoothies.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If the shake is giving you what you want, it's fine. If you want to try the oatmeal out, that's fine too. They're both good healthy options.
  • GreenEyedLady1
    Options
    As long as it is healthy and in your calorie goals then either would be good. Are you eating breakfast because you feel like you need to? Because you really don't. Eat at whatever schedule feels best for you.
  • MelissaHopeG
    MelissaHopeG Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yes I need a good breakfast. Just wasn't sure if I should have more simple carbs, or the smoothie is ok... Sounds like it is.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Variety!! It sounds like you have a couple of solid options. Keep it varied so you don't get bored.
  • riboui
    riboui Posts: 8
    Options
    Sounds like a radical change from a protein heavy to a carb heavy breakfast. My guess is that if both have similar caloric content, the carbs will leave you hungry earlier. Since it's working for you, I'd stick to the smoothie.

A compromise might be to add a couple tablespoons of cooked oatmeal, half a banana or some other fruit to the smoothie.