what are the alternatives?

I just read somewhere that whole wheat bread and skim milk is not good for dieting if anyone knows good alternatives
Please let me know. Because I just went shopping for my diet and thought I was doing the right thing. So if anyone knows please share .....

Replies

• oofdieblunk
    oofdieblunk Posts: 60 Member
    Almond milk is a great alternative. I think bread is ok if it is whole grain. Am I wrong?
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Why is it not good? Any whole wheat is better, and skim would be lower fat. All depends on your goals?
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    I love almond milk also, it has much lower carbs than regular milk. Just depends where you are, its a long process to changing your eating habits. It has taken me well over a year to get in the habits I am now. Small steps? If you were drinking whole milk or 2% or white bread its a step in the right direction. I personally choose not to eat bread regularly, but I do eat a lot of other options, oats, potatoes, etc.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Why is it not good? Any whole wheat is better, and skim would be lower fat. All depends on your goals?
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    i eat white bread and losse w eight so
  • TLWallperson
    TLWallperson Posts: 125

Was just reading that whold wheat bread isn't healthy because it's basically white bread with some added fiber. And white bread is not healthy because it's processed. Whole grain is the healthier buy.
    Cows milk is unhealthy mostly because of the added hormones.
    Again soy or almond milk is the healther buy.
    If you are only trying to lose weight then eating low cal foods are fine, but if you are trying to be healthy then it is better to have the foods that will provide your body with actual nutriants.
  • jessichri
    jessichri Posts: 81 Member
    Just a little note for you..everything is bad, fattening and gives you cancer.

But seriously, there is so much conflicting info out there take all you hear with a grain of salt. I have heard that skim milk is not as nutritious (which makes sense due to being basically watered down milk) but nothing about whole wheat being bad. Whole grains, including wheat, are much better than processed white of course. My thoughts on this is everything in moderation.

For alternatives..I do like almond milk from time to time. Its good in smoothies and on cereal. I've heard ezekial bread has its benefits but I usually stick with whole grain or whole wheat..and sometimes white when I want it.

Its all about your nutritional goals though I suppose. If you intend on eating super clean and cutting out a bunch of processed foods (which all power to ya) definitely go for the alternatives. Otherwise, I say just eat sensibly and you should do just fine.

Good luck!
  • hkb85
    hkb85 Posts: 37
    Everyone is saying buy almond and soy milk

What they arent telling you is about the sugar, and of course if you dont burn sugar it turns into fat

when you do this look at the added sugar most companies add to the product and find one low in sugar or make it at home yourself (plenty of recipes online)
  • cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    You've been on here for one day and already have two posts about not eating healthy foods? ANYTHING that I eat that allows me to get to a healthier weight is a good start. If I limit my intake of food to seven Dove bars a day, lose the weight I have gained, and then make a decision to start replacing the chocolate with life-sustaining foods, I am going to be even better off. Perhaps you should be looking at small steps forward rather than for reasons to avoid healthy foods.....
  • oofdieblunk
    oofdieblunk Posts: 60 Member
    Unsweetened almond milk has no sugar in it and is approx. 40 calories for a cup. I try to stay away from mainstream labels like Silk. If you want something super good for you but earthier tasting, hemp milk may interest you..
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    I just read somewhere that whole wheat bread and skim milk is not good for dieting if anyone knows good alternatives
    Please let me know. Because I just went shopping for my diet and thought I was doing the right thing. So if anyone knows please share .....

someone told you wrong.
    Skim milk is packed with vitamins A & D. It is great for protein/carbs ZERO fat
    Whole wheat bread is packed with protein/carbs and fibers to help keep you full.

Next time, if I were you..I would tell that person to read the label.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Everyone is saying buy almond and soy milk

What they arent telling you is about the sugar, and of course if you dont burn sugar it turns into fat

when you do this look at the added sugar most companies add to the product and find one low in sugar or make it at home yourself (plenty of recipes online)

Ladies, stay away from soy. Soy is linked to causing BREAST CANCER!
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    I just cut them out and didn't replace them with anything else :)
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    I use fresh milk ( raw). I stay away from milk that doesn't list what type of vit D on the label. Many use Vit D2~which is a synthetic derived "equivilant". As for bread? Stay away from bread that uses bromated flour, mold inhibitors, dextrose, HFC.....all things that your body just doesn't need.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    I eat a lot of bread for someone who is losing weight, apparently. Also if you can tolerate whey with water you either A) smoke a lot or B) spend too much for it
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    You've got one thing right...skim milk is horrible. As an alternative I'd suggest, at minimum, 2%. But really, whole milk is the way to go.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Skim milk and whole wheat bread are fine.

I prefer 2% myself because it keeps me full and tastes better but really it's all about what fits within your calorie and macronutrient allowance.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    I was told (and I'm not in the bread making industry so I can't verify this) but I was told that whole wheat is just white bread with added fiber and molasses.

the bread has to say WHOLE GRAIN for it to actually have the parts of the grain that is not refined out of the flour (to make it white flour).

as for skim milk, it's good for you, but it's also missing essential fats and for some people it's a healthier way to get more fat in your diet if you can't get it elsewhere.
  • Maridinger
    Maridinger Posts: 74 Member
    I eat whole wheat bread and skim milk and have lost 65 pounds
  • MudRunLvr
    MudRunLvr Posts: 226 Member
    I eat whole wheat bread and skim milk and have lost 65 pounds

I'll one up you. I eat white bread and 2% milk and have lost 83lbs.

It's all about counting your calories people. Not cutting out foods.