Could I Have Burned That Many Calories?

Options
I worked out today while wearing my HRM - Sportline brand. I'm 46 and weigh 248. I've haven't worked out consistently in several months. I exercised for 55 minutes and stayed between 75-85 percent of my max hear rate. My HRM registered over 900 calories! I can't imagine that's accurate - the HRM didn't seem to malfunctioning otherwise.

Does this even seem possible? I was doing aerobics, not running or anything.

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    It won't be entirely accurate because your HR will have shot up as a protection mechanism. Stress, etc, causes our HR to go up. Remember, it's not a beating heart that burns a bunch of calories. It's cells utilizing oxygen and fat that burns the calories.

That being said, that calorie burn for your weight over that period of time at that HR is not out of line. Count it for today. Just don't be surprised when your HR drops dramatically as you continue the exercise.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Yes it is possible. I don't know what your height is, but if you are say 50 lbs overweight now, you're moving a lot of extra weight, which means you'll burn far more calories. Someone who's as out of shape as you feel now but without that weight will instantly burn fewer cals due to less energy being required.
  • melfitnesspal13
    melfitnesspal13 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience today. I use a HR monitor/calorie burner watch to keep track of workouts. Today, for the first time, it registered 1066 calories burned. True I completed a fierce workout, my house was HOT, and I was pouring sweat but I didn't realize I could burn that much in 60 minutes. My fitness pals often record these numbers but it was my first time. Could it be possible? I think so.
    Keep on working out to see how the progress goes.!! :bigsmile:
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I worked out today while wearing my HRM - Sportline brand. I'm 46 and weigh 248. I've haven't worked out consistently in several months. I exercised for 55 minutes and stayed between 75-85 percent of my max hear rate. My HRM registered over 900 calories! I can't imagine that's accurate - the HRM didn't seem to malfunctioning otherwise.

Does this even seem possible? I was doing aerobics, not running or anything.

It's certainly possible. I'm more than 100 pounds lighter than you and I can burn around 600 in an hour of walk/run intervals (doing around 10k in the hour)
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience today. I use a HR monitor/calorie burner watch to keep track of workouts. Today, for the first time, it registered 1066 calories burned. True I completed a fierce workout, my house was HOT, and I was pouring sweat but I didn't realize I could burn that much in 60 minutes. My fitness pals often record these numbers but it was my first time. Could it be possible? I think so.
    Keep on working out to see how the progress goes.!! :bigsmile:

Heat and humidity can elevate the readings of HRMs. You will probably find the same intensity and time will produce a lower reading in a cooler environment.
  • fitnessfreddie
    fitnessfreddie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    They're pretty accurate for the most part on calories but won't be spot on. What I do to play it safe with my tracking is after I use mine I'll subtract 15% of that.
  • lisatee67
    lisatee67 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think my HRM was malfunctioning yesterday to show 900 calories burned. I did the same workout today and got 650 which is more in line with what I've seen in the past. The last time I was exercising wearing a HRM, I was more than 20 lbs lighter than now, and I was using a different HRM. I'm sticking with the 650. I don't actually eat my exercise calories, so I should be ok even if it's off a little.