Should you lift weights if you are obese.

Options
2»

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Yes you should lift weights however that has nothing to do with any weight loss plateau. Provided you are aren't putting yourself at any risk by lifting I would start sooner rather than later.

Listen to him, he knows of what he speaks.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing, but more so because I'm still learning to eat properly and I know I'd have to change up my diet again for proper protein intake for lifting and I'm not sure I'm ready for that. I also know that if I'm gaining muscle and losing fat, I might not see the scale move as much and I'm still in that mindset where that number is still important to me (although I finally got my measurements).

I'd like to know how to gradually bring in heavy lifting and the appropriate diet to make it the most effective change.

You don't have to worry so much about your diet when you are first starting out. You'll know when you need to focus on it, because your lifting progress will stall, but you can start without a drastic diet overhaul.
  • ruig0k
    ruig0k Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    do lift weights! If you are new to it, some personal training sessions might be helpful. Congrats on your success so far!
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    How do you do free weights when you are so big and not injure yourself? I have an injury on my hips back and I don't know how to do regular free weights ( dumbbells and barbell) without hurting myself. I can't do squats, lunges or anything like that at my size with decent form. What kind of program could I actually do?
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    How do you do free weights when you are so big and not injure yourself? I have an injury on my hips back and I don't know how to do regular free weights ( dumbbells and barbell) without hurting myself. I can't do squats, lunges or anything like that at my size with decent form. What kind of program could I actually do?

With squats and deadlifts, you can open your legs wider and angle your feet slightly out. This allows your stomach more room to move. With lunges -- I've not encountered anything to stop me (other than a knee issue), is it your stomach that's in the way?

See my link further up 'Fat girl deadlifting' and I've posted another 'Fat girl squatting' you can search for them.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Long story short. I'm 5'10 down to 320 from 365 back in October 2012. I joined a gym last week. I've hit a 2 month plateau. I'm intrigued by the weight lifting. I've read some good things about it. But I don't know if I should just worry about cardio right now, try to get a lot more fat off as I have a long way to go. Or if I should do both. I haven't found any perspectives out there for someone of my size. I'd like to be toner, stronger etc, but I'm just not sure if I need to worry about that now at my size. Thanks!

I'm obese, I lift weights like a boss.

What's up?
  • JDBLY11
    Options

With squats and deadlifts, you can open your legs wider and angle your feet slightly out. This allows your stomach more room to move. With lunges -- I've not encountered anything to stop me (other than a knee issue), is it your stomach that's in the way?

See my link further up 'Fat girl deadlifting' and I've posted another 'Fat girl squatting' you can search for them.

Yes, it is my stomach in the way. I can't go down very far in a lunge. I just can't seem to do a lunge now. I used to be able to just fine but now I can't I don't know if my legs are strong enough to support my body.

I tried your technique and squats seem to be fine.
  • JDBLY11
    Options
    I am reading your deadlifting thread nz_deeva. How often do you meet with your trainer? How long did it take for you to learn good form? I am really scared to push heavy because I do not want to injure myself. I am so big and not very strong.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    I am reading your deadlifting thread nz_deeva. How often do you meet with your trainer? How long did it take for you to learn good form? I am really scared to push heavy because I do not want to injure myself. I am so big and not very strong.

I've answered this via PM so as not to jack the thread.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Yes, it is my stomach in the way. I can't go down very far in a lunge. I just can't seem to do a lunge now. I used to be able to just fine but now I can't I don't know if my legs are strong enough to support my body.

I tried your technique and squats seem to be fine.

do you work out at a gym? If so do they have TRX. If they do this could help you in doing a lunge