I Quit smoking..(side effects)

Options
I have recently quit smoking or good and Im focusing on healthy eating & exercise.
I have quit smoking before and had all sorts of symptoms but now I have a burning/hot spot sensation in one of my legs (and no its not a blood clot or anything)

Has anyone experienced hot flushes in there legs after quitting?

I think it could just be more circulation in my legs type thing

Replies

• WooPancakes
    WooPancakes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking on Sept 16th and I get wierd cramps and hot spots here and there especially on my calfs, I think it just takes time for your body to go back to pre-smoking normal.
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i havent had anything like that before but every time i have gone more than a day without a cigarette (currently on 5 days, longest was 6 or 7 months last year) i have had some or all of the following happen within a week
    - cough a little more often
    - cold sore on tongue or in mouth or both
    - dreams about smoking
    - pimple or some sort of skin abnormality on my face
    -when i am outside, every person i see is smoking, it is uncanny!

about 10 to 15 days in those things clear up, but not the dreams, they stick with me for a while and at 6 months still popped up on me just less frequently.

at about 15 days i noticed that i barely ever coughed as opposed to the occasional cough i had before quiting, didnt realize it at the time that this apparently was a light smokers cough. I think it is around this time that i started to notice an improvement in my general energy level, being a little later in the evening/day before i started to feel tired with no other notable change in my routine, food or workout regime.
  • Maeanna1962
    Options
    This will sound very very odd. I have not seen anyone post a side effect like this. I am 52 days into not smoking anymore. I still crave them but have the will power to not get one.

My question: does anyone else get "white stuff" lodged in their tonsil? Since I quit smoking, I have the feeling in my throat of an ashtray and when I get to coughing, I get this whitish stuff that lodges on the left tonsil. It would almost resemble tonsillitis or even strep-throat but I have no fever or sore throat.
  • tc41586
    tc41586 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Today is Day 142 for me... I had some weird side effects. I HIGHLY recommend the Cessation Nation smart phone app.... it is what got me through. I no longer crave cigaretts (maybe when drinking) and the smell of them usually doesn't bother me anymore. I would say I knew I was done after a month of not smoking passed. I always had sugar free gum or mints and would even crack the window in my truck when I chewed the gum. Cessation Nation tells you how many you haven't smoked, how much money you have saved and counts the time since your last cigarette to the minute. There are games to play when you have a craving, and they tell you your health benefits as you go. The main thing to remember is to not smoke today. When you wake up tomorrow, focus on not smoking tomorrow... otherwise I got extremely overwhelmed at the thought of never smoking again. I coughed a little more when I first quit smoking and did break out a little more. I still have dreams that I sneak a cigarette or a hit off of a cigarette and I wake up absolutely hating myself until I realize that it was just a dream. I'll tell you what though, I have never felt better then I do now!! Best of luck to you, you can do it!
  • hilarydurst
    hilarydurst Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking February 17, 2013. I have NOT had a single side effect, and I quit cold turkey. I've noticed that I'm able to breath better, exercise more and am finding myself more healthier. Those of you that have quit or are in the process, I wish you the best of luck!!
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Maeanna1962... Research Tonsil Stones, that is what it sounds like to me.
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    This will sound very very odd. I have not seen anyone post a side effect like this. I am 52 days into not smoking anymore. I still crave them but have the will power to not get one.

My question: does anyone else get "white stuff" lodged in their tonsil? Since I quit smoking, I have the feeling in my throat of an ashtray and when I get to coughing, I get this whitish stuff that lodges on the left tonsil. It would almost resemble tonsillitis or even strep-throat but I have no fever or sore throat.

it sounds like you have tonsilloliths (tonsil stones/tonsil cheese). not generally harmful but itll give you bad breath.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    no i didnt i quit over 7 months ago
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    This is just your circulation improving. My husband was a huge smoker and when he quit he got that feeling. He twitched at night. He went to the doctor and it turned out it was his small blood clots dissolving.

You'll be getting the dreams soon......
  • hkb85
    hkb85 Posts: 37
    Options
    i havent had anything like that before but every time i have gone more than a day without a cigarette (currently on 5 days, longest was 6 or 7 months last year) i have had some or all of the following happen within a week
    - cough a little more often
    - cold sore on tongue or in mouth or both
    - dreams about smoking
    - pimple or some sort of skin abnormality on my face
    -when i am outside, every person i see is smoking, it is uncanny!

-your still producing the same amount of mucus you did while smoking, but your body is playing catch up on you dont need it
    -cold sore are viral infection that you never get rid of and show up when immune system is low (can be caused by stress)
    - any cravings after day 3 are psychological, so just ignore the dreams
    - your skin may have produced extra oils to counter-act the smoke and are still making the same amount
    - its not just you, i can smell where a smoker has been, and they are everywhere