How do you know how far to push yourself?

Options
I usually do 10 minutes on the rowing machine when I go to the gym. But today, I wanted to see if I could do 15. I also was going very fast (over 600 calories and hour, when I usually stay in the 400's). I just got really amped up.

But, I was unable to complete my workout. After the rowing machine, I go on the elliptical for 10 minutes. Then, I do the bike for 30 minutes. I was very tired after I finished the elliptical, so I decided to do my strength exercises instead. But then I became dizzy so decided it was time to quit for the day.

It is not a calorie intake thing because before I went to the gym, I had already eaten atleast 1400 calories today. So I did not get dizzy from being hungry.

Now a few hours later, my body is very sore and I feel like crap. I may not be able to go to the gym tomorrow :( so I can allow my body to rest.

Is there a way to know while you are working out that you are going too far? Warning signs to be aware of? I did not feel any pain during the rowing.

Or was it just me being impatient, wanting to jump from 10 mins to 15 mins?

How often should you increase your aerobic times? Is it better that once you are good at one resistance level, to try and do the same amount of time on the next resistance level? Or to do the same resistance level as before, but just increase your time?

Replies

• frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear others response to this. I experience the same thing when pushing myself extra hard lately at the gym but I always force force force myself to push through and finish my workout And do it the next day again, however, lately I've been painfully sore at night (not the awesome I kicked butt sore) so I think this is an interesting question...
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'd say that increasing both the duration and resistance was the problem. Try to

As you're up to almost an hour of cardio I would definitely not increase the duration of the cardio any longer. An hour is more than enough, you want to do some other stuff with your life as well than work out right? Look into HIIT (high intensity interval training) for your cardio.

Also, you wonder about going back in tomorrow. Your body needs rest after working out, it is the rest time that makes you stronger, not the actual working out. So if you want to work out take it slowly today, but you might be doing to much in general making your body too tired.
  • melissa3324
    melissa3324 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well, I was planning on going to the gym tomorrow (or today...Thursday) because I cannot go there Friday, and I do not like going Saturday or Sunday because the gym is very crowded. Monday is kinda iffy because I cannot actually drive myself atm. That's why I was planning on doing it Tues Wednesday Thursday because that is when I can go. But then there is the problem with 4 days in between and not going at all.

If I do go tomorrow, I will probably just go swimming.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Years ago when I was really out of shape and jogging on the treadmill near my max speed, I had a funky heart palpitation in the middle of a 10 second sprint. I was also startled by a loud noise, so I had the palpitation with a sudden burst of adrenaline that was no fun. I definitely slow down if that ever happens.

I always try to push myself during my workouts, and now that I'm fit I don't really get any side effects from it. If I get nausea like I'm about to throw up (very rare these days), I slow down to a walk until it subsides.

IF my body is getting a general, overwhelming fatigue then I have to take a rest day. I need to allow my body to recuperate. I hate rest days though, since I enjoy eating and less exercise = less food.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I'd say that increasing both the duration and resistance was the problem. Try to

As you're up to almost an hour of cardio I would definitely not increase the duration of the cardio any longer. An hour is more than enough, you want to do some other stuff with your life as well than work out right? Look into HIIT (high intensity interval training) for your cardio.

Also, you wonder about going back in tomorrow. Your body needs rest after working out, it is the rest time that makes you stronger, not the actual working out. So if you want to work out take it slowly today, but you might be doing to much in general making your body too tired.

HIIT is great, less time consuming and keeps your metabolism elevated after you finish training. I tried this on an empty stomich the first time and it was a big mistake, i was dizzy felt sick and lost my appetite but then i did this with food in my system and HIIT kicked my but in a good way
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If I feel nauseated I slow it down. That's the only sign I get. If I end up pushing too hard and getting super beat down, there's nothing like a soak in a tub with Epsom Salts. The magnesium in the salts is absorbed through the skin and helps soothe the muscles. It also helps replenish your magnesium stores if they're low. It works like magic for me.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    For cardio, I keep my duration the same and move up a resistance level once I can do the entire 30 minutes at my current resistance level.

For strength training, I'm working with kettlebells, and I try to move up a size on a particular exercise once I feel that it's relatively easy at the size I'm using.

For either, I take it down a notch if my knees start hurting or if I'm having trouble breathing (which happens if it's a day that I'm experiencing allergies).