Selling clothes on ebay

Options
hkystar
hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
I want to start trying to sell my old too big clothes on ebay. I just have some quetsions. I will ask them here in case others want to do the same.

Is there an ideal time to post an ad?
How much shipping do you generally charge?
Do you sell each item seperately or is it better to make a lot (like 3 or so items sold together)?
Does it cost to put up an auction that doesnt sell?
Have you found it to be a cost effective way to sell your clothes over yard sale/craigslist/donation?

I am trying to offset the money I have to spend to buying new/used smaller clothes.

Replies

• verykristin
    Options
    It does cost money to post things on eBay, regardless of whether they sell or not. You may want to post your items on Craigslist first because it's free and you don't have to worry about shipping. So you won't lose anything if your clothing doesn't sell.

I've found that unless clothing is very unique, designer, or vintage, it's hard to resell.

Good luck!
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I would also look for a local consignment store....they may only give you a credit but that you can use towards wonderfully smaller sizes while you are on your journey. And yes Ebay charges you a fee regardless of whether or item sells or not and it can run up to a couple of bucks per posting depending on how you list it.
  • eekface
    eekface Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Name brand (lane bryant etc) and in great shape you can usually sell for 5 or 10 bucks with free or low shipping

Walmart type brands have no resale value

if you do a lot of like 20 to 30 items in good condition (and throw some of the non brand in there that are in good condition) you can get anywere from 15 to 50 bucks per lot
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have never found a good way to sell my old clothes, so I donate them to goodwill and move on. I also buy though from thrift shops while i'm in the losing weight phase so that I can get stuff cheap.
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Ok I have sold and purchased clothes on Ebay, but only kid clothes. I know name brand things usually work the best on Ebay, whatever is popular. I would not ship international. I list things that and sell them Parcel Post, but remember you can't use the boxes the post office provides. I also just print my labels at home for shipping. I make listing of items in outfits (except dresses) and those sell really well. I think the best time is for your listing to end on a Saturday or Sunday or 15th/1st/30th. I buy lots of things for my daughter on Ebay. I have had a couple of bad purchases and someone that bought something from me was so rude...so be prepared for that. I usually pass all her clothes to our youth pastor, but sometimes sell the higher end items on Ebay. I would search the items you want to sell and see if they are selling. Hope that helps.