Currently not working out and no plans to do so.

Options
HI all,

Back when I first started MFP, I worked out 5 days a week. Also watched my calories and both efforts combined lost me about 15 lbs.

I have slipped since then - not working out, too lazy to get to the gym, eating whatever I felt like etc. I gained back 7 lbs.

Lately, I've been feeling like my biggest problem is not just getting to the gym and being more active, but curbing my eating habits. I binge eat, eat out of boredom, eat just for the hell of it - you name it. Is it safe that I just try to work on those eating issues right now, and get that under control, and lose weight safely that way? I feel like that is the biggest obstacle I have to face and feel that even if I do work out all the time, I will never have dealt with my eating issues and getting it under control.

Has anyone done this - focusing on the diet portion and not working out? Would you recommend it? I have about 100 lbs to lose. I totally get that strength training needs to be involved to build some muscle and get rid of leftover flab, but I just want to get this weight off and control those urges that make me eat and then do all the other required things like working out etc.

Thanks

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I think part of a healthy lifestyle is exercise. You won't build good habits by NOT doing something.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely lose weight without exercising. Exercise benefits both body and mind in a variety of ways, but ultimately, we lose weight by creating a calorie deficit. I think it's fine to focus on getting your eating habits under control without committing to regular exercise, and it will probably benefit you in the long run. Sometimes jumping into a dramatic lifestyle change is just too much all at once; if making smaller changes is what it takes to help you make the transition into healthier living, then by all means, do that. Be patient with yourself, allow yourself a sustainable calorie goal, and log everything. Once you feel like you've got a handle on your eating habits, start adding the exercise back in. It may not be necessary for weight loss, but it is an important part of a healthy lifestyle. You'll get there. :smile:
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    HI all,

Back when I first started MFP, I worked out 5 days a week. Also watched my calories and both efforts combined lost me about 15 lbs.

I have slipped since then - not working out, too lazy to get to the gym, eating whatever I felt like etc. I gained back 7 lbs.

Lately, I've been feeling like my biggest problem is not just getting to the gym and being more active, but curbing my eating habits. I binge eat, eat out of boredom, eat just for the hell of it - you name it. Is it safe that I just try to work on those eating issues right now, and get that under control, and lose weight safely that way? I feel like that is the biggest obstacle I have to face and feel that even if I do work out all the time, I will never have dealt with my eating issues and getting it under control.

Has anyone done this - focusing on the diet portion and not working out? Would you recommend it? I have about 100 lbs to lose. I totally get that strength training needs to be involved to build some muscle and get rid of leftover flab, but I just want to get this weight off and control those urges that make me eat and then do all the other required things like working out etc.

Thanks

What you propose is perfectly do-able. In fact, I lost my first 40 pounds with zero exercise...I also felt I really needed to get a handle on my food first.

What I learned doing it that way is while mastering my food is awesome, it did absolutely nothing to get my body more fit. I had loose skin and was still physically weak. I finally bought into working out and once I created the habit (I hated it for a while, but made myself do it anyway), I eventually began to crave the activity. Now I really look forward to going to the gym and sweating my *kitten* off.

I highly recommend that you try to master both now - you will be so much happier with your progress. BUT, workout smart. 2 or 3 times a week heavy lifting is most effective - and WAY more effective than pure steady state cardio. Check out Stronglifts 5x5 maybe... or New Rules of Lifting for Women. I use the latter and I am stronger, my skin is getting better, my body fat percentage is dropping (almost 5% in 2.5 months), I can see my muscles!!!! AND, the best part is I feel like I could do ANYTHING. You can do this too and feel just as amazing.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I will say, as someone who has issues with binge and emotional eating, that working out helps me keep that at bay. Obviously it's a personal thing, but I started a 6 day a week workout calendar in January and I can count on one hand the number of binges I've had between then and now, that's HUGE for me. I think it's a combo of being able to eat more when I workout and overall feeling happier about myself after a workout. It also keeps me busy during the midday slump when I'd normally eat, instead i workout :)
  • bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My advice is that you incorporate exercise into your life for healthy habits... but make the exercise simple, such as walking 20 minutes or 3000 steps a day and then focus solely on the eating. When you're comfortable with eating, add more exercise into your life.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    You have to make a concious decision to take your weight loss seriously. You have to make it an important part of your life, and not an afterthought, or a "nice to have".

When you set a calorie goal, do you stick to it? Or do you "choose" to ignore it when you start to have "cravings"?

Do you weigh/measure your food and actually record everything you consume? (ketchup, mustard, everything you drink etc..etc...).

There is nothing wrong with doing exercise, and alot of people find that it gives them something to focus on, other than food, to help them handle their eating habits.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I met my goal and list ten pounds counting on diet. I was too unwell to do much exercise, but I did run or walk once or twice a week.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    While ironing out your issues with food is a good step, do understand that once you iron them out and start working out again, you'll probably need more calories. And could that derail all of the work you did previously? Maybe.
    I would advise keeping just "some" exercise while you try to iron out your eating issues.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely lose weight without exercising. Exercise benefits both body and mind in a variety of ways, but ultimately, we lose weight by creating a calorie deficit. I think it's fine to focus on getting your eating habits under control without committing to regular exercise, and it will probably benefit you in the long run.

Totally agree to that one. Just watch your calories and though you do not work out, have a moderate level of activity.
    I was too lazy to work out at one point of time but following the 5/2 rule (walk for 5 minutes in atleast every 2 hours) and watching my diet helped a lot.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I started out without doing exercise back in October. I got some exercise just by doing my daily activities, since I was attending college and taking the bus to get there. On average about 20-30 minutes of walking sometimes over an hour though if I decided to walk across the plaza to make better time getting to school rather than take a bus to get dropped off right by my school. I didn't really start exercising until April this year though and right now it's just walking. But, if I had started walking back in October as much as I am walking now, I would have lost approximately 28 more pounds than I have now. It would be a total of 81 pounds. That would be over half way to my reassessment goal.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss in September and worked out 4-6 days a week till Christmas, then fell off the workout wagon. I continued to eat in my calories majority of the time and lost weight well. Last month I finally got back on the workout wagon and did 30 Day Shred. I like that it's short, and I can do it right in my house. I definitely noticed the biggest change in my body in these last 30 days, even though the scale and even the measurements don't show a massive change, the pictures show it.
    So now I am onto Ripped in 30 DVD to keep the progress going.
    I am a naturally muscular person already so I didn't think 30 Day Shred would get me great results, but it did give me good results (though I didn't see them till the last 10 days).
    So long story short, yes there is no NEED to exercise to lose weight, however you will probably LOOK like you weigh less (so you will need to lose less) if you do workout and sculpt your body.
  • nannukka
    nannukka Posts: 52
    Options
    Also, just a gentle question: are you eating enough calories? I know, I know...this the ongoing thing on this board, but eating enough relatively good stuff helps you kill the binge eating. I first went by MFP calculations (and I even put the the recommended 0.5-1lb/week loss) and I was soooooo hungry. It was bad. I don't like to be hungry. Then I stumbled on PU's posts and heybales spreadsheet and posts and realized that maybe my calories are too low. I increased my calories, started to loose weight AND I'm not hungry. And let me tell you, even though I eat clean in a sense that I cook from scratch a lot and do all the right things in protein etc department, I do treat myself for something sweet EVERY day. If it fits my goals, I will do it, because then I do not get those uncontrollable sweet cravings. Works for me.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm going to PM you some info...
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely lose weight without exercising. Exercise benefits both body and mind in a variety of ways, but ultimately, we lose weight by creating a calorie deficit.

Yes I did it. But my weight loss stalled after a bit when I wasn't exercising.

Plus, even though I lost weight I was still flabby. I absolutely had to get up and make myself exercise, because I didn't look slim I looked deflated. I'm still combating that.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea to tackle your food issues first, it's really important to develop a healthy relationship with food and more normal eating habits

Once you get used to eating, you can slowly start working out again. Because your food needs change with exercise there is going to be balancing act for a bit.

I dont think you need to lose all the weight before you start working out though. With 100lbs to lose I reckon before you are halfway done you'll have worked through your food issues.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I did it for a few weeks in January. I started with getting the junk out of my system by going on Phase 1 of South Beach, without counting calories. Then I started working out, then I started tracking. A couple of weeks later I started weighing myself.
    This was the first time I used this kind of incremental approach and it worked pretty well for me.
    It really is *mostly* about what you eat, and not *mostly* about the hour or so we tend to spend in the gym. So if starting with the food side seems like it will help you get that in order, great :)

Edited to say -- but I don't think this has to be months....maybe a few weeks. Exercise is too valuable to let go for that long.
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I didnt work out for the whole year it took me to lose 30lbs- the extra is from exercise. In my opinion, diet alone is fine, just a slower route :)
  • WalkingMermaid_
    WalkingMermaid_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I don't have a schedule or a routine, and I have never enjoyed going to the gym. However, walking/hiking and swimming I absolutely love so I do these activities on a regular basis but without a routine. I think the key is to find something you actually enjoy, that way you're more likely to stick with it.

You could diet alone for a few months, then maybe seek out some form of exercise once you've got the food part under control. You can definitely lose weight dieting alone.
  • Elvisfan4life
    Elvisfan4life Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    No pt all of us are gym bunnies I'm a couch potato.....try simple walking more as exercise you can lose by just diet but exercise helps in many ways however it can just be walking and simple this not excessive exercise regimes which don't interest me at all
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    What you propose is perfectly do-able. In fact, I lost my first 40 pounds with zero exercise...I also felt I really needed to get a handle on my food first.

What I learned doing it that way is while mastering my food is awesome, it did absolutely nothing to get my body more fit. I had loose skin and was still physically weak.

This! I also lost my first 40 pounds without exercise. I'm still not a huge fan of exercising (well, if I can get to the gym, I like it, but it's hell trying to motivate myself to go). However, I guess I live in a fantasy world and thought 40 pounds (out of 120 I needed to lose) was going to make me slim and it really didn't. I didn't start "seeing collarbones" or having any real self-esteem until I started going to the gym.

It never feels like I'm doing enough. But yesterday I ran a whole mile without stopping. A few months ago, when I started exercising, I struggled with jogging for 30 seconds. It is totally worth it.