How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
Hi All,

I was wondering if there was recommended amount of times you should weigh yourself in a week? Some say that weighing everyday helps them keep on track, but others advise to only weigh once a week. What do you do? Any thoughts??

Replies

• cflec1
    cflec1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was just about to asked a similar question. My official weigh-in day is Thursday (that is the one that I put on MFP whether it is good or bad. But, I was wondering whether you weight in the morning, noon or in the afternoons, because it seems mine is different at different times of the day.
  • DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm going to weigh myself once a week, as I don't want to get too controlled by the scales, also I'm going to measure myself once a fortnight, because sometimes you don't loose much in weight but you could have lost an inch or so.
  • rotay1960
    rotay1960 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Every morning after emptying bladder for me. I feel that it gives me feedback on how to go about my day. I know that weight fluctuates and blah, blah, blah..., but this is how I do it. :)
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself every day as a routine, whilst im brushing my teeth in the morning i step on the scales,

i only record once a week though, on a wednesday,

it isnt important how much your weight changes day to day, particularly as you can lose a few pounds just by sleeping.

a good rule to remember is a litre of water weighs a kilogram, so if you drink eight cups, thats close to 3 kilos of water, just in one day.

i find by weighing myself daily i can spot trends when im not exercising or drinking enough water, by recording weekly i can make sure im heading in the right direction.

thats just my experience though :)
  • deedoll04
    deedoll04 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have heard that in the mornings is the best time to weigh and to do it at the same time of the day whenever you record.

Thanks for your thoughts - it seems to be a 'whatever is best for you personally' kind of thing. :smile:
  • natsthename
    natsthename Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Once a week, at the same time of day (morning, before breakfast in my undies.) There are too many daily fluctuations and I'd drive myself nuts if I weighed in daily. My hubby weighs himself 2 or 3 times a day, which I find OCD. Hahaha (he has never been overweight.)
  • GrabacrPD
    GrabacrPD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Every morning but only officially write down my measurement on a saturday morning
  • steve6331
    steve6331 Posts: 4
    Options
    I weigh myself every Monday morning as close 0800 as I can. Then put it on MFP be it good news or bad, then thing is not to let it get you down, if I put on then I am even mor determined to lose it for next week. Sometimes I feel like checking part way through the week but up to now have managed to resist. I also put down my measurements on the first of each month.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    never, ever,,,, for me it is about feeling good about myself and accomplishing things,,, not about how much I weigh every day,,,
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I weigh and record every day. I also track EVERYTHING on an exceedingly detailed spreadsheet.
  • spruitt417
    spruitt417 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself every day as a routine, whilst im brushing my teeth in the morning i step on the scales,

i only record once a week though, on a wednesday,

it isnt important how much your weight changes day to day, particularly as you can lose a few pounds just by sleeping.

a good rule to remember is a litre of water weighs a kilogram, so if you drink eight cups, thats close to 3 kilos of water, just in one day.

i find by weighing myself daily i can spot trends when im not exercising or drinking enough water, by recording weekly i can make sure im heading in the right direction.

thats just my experience though :)

This!
  • swisse2
    swisse2 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi i have been told that you should weigh yourself once a week at the same time every week, after you have been to the toilet in the mornings is best:smile:
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    When I feel like it.

My clothes are looser, I have these things called "pectorals" starting to show up that I've heard about before, and I know from my calorie and exercise tracker that I'm staying on course. It doesn't bother me if the scale's too stupid to see my progress day-to-day.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Every day I'm at home. Fluctuations in water retention due to either not drinking enough or high sodium meals (particularly eating in hotels/restaurants) can be larger than you might think. A couple of days at home drinking normally and not piling on the salt and the water drops off. I can come back after a week away, be heavier than before I left, then over the next 2-3 days lose 3 - 4 lbs.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    every night right after a run before the shower, but I don't place too much stock in the number, more habit at this point, and just to see the trend, but don't obsess about the number.. it jumps all over the place, couple up, couple down, etc etc...
  • Gracie1214
    Gracie1214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I weigh naked every Friday morning after having a wee if it's TOM I skip a week :smile:
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Every 4-6 weeks or so. My doctor's office has a BMI machine in the waiting area (almost said "weighting" area... not inaccurate!) and I use that. I don't own or want a scale in the house.
  • bishtanoop
    bishtanoop Posts: 9
    Options
    Morning is the best time to check your weigh. I used to check my weigh once in a week.
  • beautifulctb
    beautifulctb Posts: 100
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week because if I do it more I become obsessed with the scale.
    I also get my measurements taken once every 4 weeks.
  • enjoythesound
    enjoythesound Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every morning but I don't recommend it! my weight fluctuates a lot so sometimes it is a bit disappointing to see that the number on the scale is higher than the day before! (ok on the contrary this morning for example I was ecstatic because my weight was loooooower than expected).
    I only record my weight once a week though (usually on Mondays).

The best is to do what you think suits you the most, if you feel the need to weight yourself then do it! but don't become over obsessed with the numbers you see! And if you don't want to weight yourself then do it only once in a while just to check where you are in your weight loss journey!