I do my Insanity workout which is 6 days a week @ 40-60 mins/day
    Weights 3 times a week @ 45 mins per session
    Swimming 5 times a week @ 1 hour per day
    Running or Cycling twice a week @ 30 mins per session

:bigsmile:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Maybe one 20 min sesh once a week and another 35-40 minute sesh later in the week.

That's probably 60 mins give-or-take in total a week.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    1 hour zumba class once a week, then morning 20 mins toning/aerobic DVD workout, walking am/pm to and from work, walk lunchtime ( if not raining) 20 mins, evening 20-45 mins either zumba or mixed aerobic/toning dvd.

My legs are very firm, arms getting there, need to do more work on stomach.
  • louisemallas
    louisemallas Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When using the elliptical trainer - what speed do you aim for. I do mine to music and hit around 17.3 k per hour (I do just under 40 mins worth as I aim for 10 k and it includes a bit of a warm up at a slower pace). I'm just wondering as I worry about what is recorded for calories by mfp and whether its accurate? I don't want to start eating the calories back and find that I should be working harder for the amount I'm credited with.
  • Tubbytucka
    Tubbytucka Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The days I don't cycle to work I will walk at least 30min each way, and usually stretch to a 30-60min walk home. I like to cycle when it's dry and not too windy, and will always do at least 30min a day.
    Usually I like to cycle at least an hour one way - I have a few routes for 20, 30, 45, 60 and 90min rides, and it's also good fun doing different routes/exploring. Yesterday was nice so I did a 2 hr ride in the morning up through some hills, then a leisurely 1 hr ride home.
    If it's nice out, it doesn't feel like exercise, and the long steady distances are great for base fitness. Also, in the gym, all you have is the cycle or rowing machine and the pain; outside, you have the scenery to distract you from the hurt.

I am lucky though as I have the free time to do this, and I'm training for a 75 mile ride I plan on doing later in the year.
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Well, I do anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 hour of cardio, and like 20 minutes to 30 minutes of strength training. Elliptical/treadmill/spin bike for like 15-20 minutes or 100-200 calories burn on each. Strength training- I mix it up with free weights, cables, and lunge/squat/all that stuff.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    * Posted twice by accident haha
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I used to run A LOT before I seriously injured myself & discovered my passion for lifting.
    Now, all I use is the treadmill/elliptical for HIIT sessions of 20-30 minutes. I sometimes throw a 10 minute session after a upper body work out in, but that's about it. :)
  • louisemallas
    louisemallas Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Well, I do anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 hour of cardio, and like 20 minutes to 30 minutes of strength training. Elliptical/treadmill/spin bike for like 15-20 minutes or 100-200 calories burn on each. Strength training- I mix it up with free weights, cables, and lunge/squat/all that stuff.
    Hi - when using the elliptical, what speed do you aim for?
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight and you are doing a massive amount of cardio, your weight will eventually plateau and you may find yourself not losing weight...the body eventually adjusts to the cardio and will continue to store fat...

I think resistance training is a fabulous thing but I wish its fans didn't feel the need to post rubbish like this.

If you are consuming less calories than you're burning you will lose weight. Really. Yes, like with any skill your body can become more efficient but it doesn't stop magically requiring calories for cardio if you do a lot of it.

To answer the original question I find the gym horribly boring so I don't go. My cardio consists of swimming (around half an hour each time 4 to 7 times a week) and running (usually 3 times a week, 2 hour long run and 1 slightly longer). Throw in a few sessions with Jillian and some resistance stuff (and I'm the first to admit I could do with more) and I'm busy enough to stay out of trouble.
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    @louisemallas
    Hi - when using the elliptical, what speed do you aim for?

I usually end up doing 5 kilometers, 18-22 minutes. Not sure about the speed- but it says 7-9 mph :)
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Watch what you eat as well. And it seems to me like your routine is hard to stick to. You could simply reduce the time you spend on each machine, but put more effort into it. So instead of cycling moderately, you will go vigorously for about 15 minutes.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Xiaolongbao - I'm with you! :happy: Fun class like Zumba - tick! Lifting weights while looking in the mirror - no thanks!

Each to their own, I fully accept not everything works for everyone, and not everyone enjoys the same things. But any exercise is better than none - which is what people will do if you try to force them down a road they don't want to go (ask any school PE teacher :laugh: )
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    15 to 20 minutes, 2 or 3 times a week. I alternate interval running, walking and running.
  • nicolen160
    nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You WALK at over 5mph???? That's a full jog for me!

I do 15 minutes of cardio three days a week. i spend most of my gym time lifting heavy weights.

That's what I'm saying!! :)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    My trainer wants me to do high intensity cardio for 3 hours a week (so walking and cycling only count for half the time as my HR doesn't get quite high enough). I typically do cardio 4 times a week for about an hour each time. Two to three times are running, and one to two times are walking or cycling (or some other lower intensity workout).

I also strength train twice a week with my trainer.
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    Monday and friday: one hour bicycle + 1,5 hours martial arts both of those days
    tuesday till thursday: one hour bicycle everyday

Then i might or might not do anything in the weekends..
    My bicycle sessions are mostly split in two of 30 minutes, both riding about 7 km far, im guessing.
    Martial arts arent split.
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I used to love cardio, until I starting lifting weights. I love the way I feel, look, and the strength I'm building. Currently doing the Stronglifts program 3x a week. On other days I'll either do HIIT, go for a short jog, or actually rest. It all depends on how sore I am after lifting. I would say you are doing enough...or more than enough cardio. Maybe you should start lifting more. Get a routine and you will surely enjoy it and most likely decrease the amount of cardio you are doing.
  • keithf1138
    keithf1138 Posts: 63
    Options
    Cardio (mostly eliptical) for 6 days per week for 45-75 minutes.
    Weight training every other day for 30-45 minutes. Days that I do cardio for 45 minutes I do longer weight training session.

Most weeks I have one day off, but still may take an hour walk.

I also strive to hit 40-50 flights of stairs on work days in the office. Basically every time I leave the office I am required to walk down to the 1st floor and back up to the 5th floor. Sometimes I go all the way to the top of the building and back down.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    5 days a week: I do a light warm up on the treadmill/elliptical/bike (about 10 minutes), then I do 30-45 minutes of strength training/weights, and follow up with 20-30 minutes of boxing, interval runs, or something else. Some days I'll cut that down to 15 minutes depending on my mood.

1 day a week: I just do cardio. 40-60 minutes of running