Running and Lifting

Options
2»

Replies

• thenoxus1
    thenoxus1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Also - if you run and lift on the same day, always do your lifts first.

I did the exact opposite.

It depends on your priority. My priority then was a triathlon, so I did cardio first and lifts second. Now I've done the triathlon and my priority is body recomposition, so I lift first, and run when I can (now on different days).

I'd suggest starting one for a month or two, then adding the other rather than starting both at once!

No there's actually studies show that you should lift first. I am currently marathon training myself. It has to do with mental sharpness at first. I'll try to find the article/study.
  • thenoxus1
    thenoxus1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Just curious, why is that recommended? I've been focusing a bit more on my running so I currently run 5 days a week. Because of my schedule, I sometimes do a short run or other cardio and then strength training on the same day--if I run last, I have no endurance, so I always run (or do other cardio) first.

The reason it is recommended to lift before running is so that you have the power and explosiveness to get through your lifts without your muscles already being fatigued. Since running is a slower activity that doesn't require as much explosive power and engery as lifting you want to save it for after your weight session.

This is 100% the reason. I will try to find the article with the actual study results though.
  • runningbs
    runningbs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals and what your preferences are. What do you like more?

Personally, I like lifting more and my goal is muscle mass/strength and overall aesthetic looks.

I don't run at all. Maybe sprints.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I normally do a combo, unless I am going for a longer run, in which case I only run. Most of my workouts are 20-30 minutes running (either intervals or just plain running, but usually intervals for days where I lift also), followed by 20-30 minutes of lifting. Sometimes I spend more time lifting, but I rarely ever only lift. I like to feel good and warmed up first, although I'm reading that some people think it's better to do your lifts first. I'm also curious as to why that is!!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

Just curious, why is that recommended? I've been focusing a bit more on my running so I currently run 5 days a week. Because of my schedule, I sometimes do a short run or other cardio and then strength training on the same day--if I run last, I have no endurance, so I always run (or do other cardio) first.

It does depend on what your goal is. Many people who recommend lifting first have lifting as a priority, it works the same.

I look at it for saftey reasons

If you lift first then run and get tired
    iaaf_035.jpg

If you run then lift and get tired.
    HAbcm.gif
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options

All practical reasons aside (and there are many, as others said, depending on your goals)

But we're mainly focussed on body composition here. Looking good generally involves building muscle and losing fat, for men and women of all ages. Weight training is the optimal training method for gaining and maintaining muscle. Since we already hopefully know that weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, and that making the weight loss come from fat and not muscle involves resistance training, it becomes clear why we lift first. It is more important!

Note: clearly if you are a runner or just really like running this doesn't apply to you.
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice and suggestions! I don't really have any huge goals for one or the other. My biggest goal is fat loss and getting in shape. As of right now my stamina is low and my body is fairly weak (compared to when I was 20 and strong!) so I think I will benefit from doing both. My only running goal is to be able to do a 5k in late August (running all or most of it) but I don't think it will be too hard considering the C25K program only has me run 3 times a week and I have nearly 3 months before that. Other than that I just want to feel good about myself. I think I might go with the 3 and 3 of each with one day full rest. If I feel like I need more, I will take it but until then I will make myself a plan and stick with it!

It's good to think about the safety and the power needed to do lifts so I think if I ever combine lifts and runs into one day, I will definitely remember to lift first.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I did a cycle of this program. http://www.fitness666.com/2012/07/666-fat-burner-home-workout-version.html

It's basically 3 days strength training, 3 days cardio, 1 day off.

It went well, I made significant strength gains, and at least some speed/endurance gains on the treadmill.

So in my experience yes you can both run and strength train.