when you want a snack what do you eat?

Options

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb so my go-to snacks are cheese, nuts/seeds or some protein (deli turkey, ham, etc.) Also, 1 TB of chia seeds mixed in a glass of water is filling and super healthy.

please tell me more about chia seeds...i keep seeing this alternative pop up
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb so my go-to snacks are cheese, nuts/seeds or some protein (deli turkey, ham, etc.) Also, 1 TB of chia seeds mixed in a glass of water is filling and super healthy.

please tell me more about chia seeds...i keep seeing this alternative pop up

they're a super neat toy. Basically put them in water and they gel up. Lot of fun to be had with that. I used to make an "energy goo" that was chia, cocoa powder, agave, and water.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry to the point where I simply cannot wait to eat something, the mistake has already been made. More frequent eating simply has not been shown to make a measurable increase in "metabolism" in controlled studies, so there is no reason to be snacking unless you simply enjoy it, which is completely fine if it works for you.I don't, and it doesn't, because if nibble on food all day I'll eat you out of house and home.

I think it really comes down to hunger management. When you know that you're counting what you eat and that you're getting what your body needs to stay healthy while losing weight, it becomes a lot easier to simply accept that you're hungry, and just wait an hour or so for your next normal meal. Becoming okay with feeling hunger is not the same as depriving yourself, although there is a fine line that everyone has to find for themselves.
  • alethea88
    alethea88 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    fruits- apple, pear, banana...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Typical snacks for me...I snack a lot:

- Beef Jerky
    - berries (all varieties)
    - Apples and/or apples with peanut butter
    - nuts
    - trail mix (I usually make my own with a variety of mixed nuts and dried fruits and yogurt chips)
    - cheese
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Depends on how I'm doing elsewise for the day: how much I've eaten, how active I've been. Could be peanut butter (off a measuring spoon because I like just peanut butter) or could be broccoli.

Fruits, veggies are my go to for lower calorie snacks. Quest bar is my go to for moderate. Nuts and nut butters are my calorie bumpers.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    larabars
    fruit
    almonds
    pieces of turkey
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Almond butter and apple
    Almond butter and celery
    almonds
    avocados and 3 rice flax crackers
    raspberries
    greek yogurt
    cottage cheese
    seaweed snacks
    veggies and hummus
    i am always looking for healthy fast snacks as i do eat 6 or more times a day
  • mish24canada
    mish24canada Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great suggestions. I always snack because 3 meals a day is not enough for my appetite
  • Becksga
    Becksga Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    :smile: Almonds. Sometimes greek yogurt. Sometimes greek yogurt with almonds mixed in
  • diaryofaskinnygirl
    Options
    I tend to go for higher protein and/or fat snacks. For example:

Peanut Butter
    Cottage Cheese (often spread on Melba Toast Crackers)
    Protein Shake made with Light Soy Milk
    Yogurt with 2 teaspoons of mixed seeds.

Also:
    Fruit (I love apples, bananas, oranges)
    Bag of Mini Pretzels (The one I get is 95 calories for a decent amount)
    Cereal bar (not hugely filling but satisfies my sweet tooth)
    1 square dark chocolate (curbs my sweet tooth and feels very indulgent, and it's rare I'll crave another piece after that first one)

Hope this helps!
  • amberrea82
    amberrea82 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese - usually with sliced up cucumber in it - yum!!
    Pickle
    any fruit I have on hand
    sugar snap peas
  • blakerb29
    blakerb29 Posts: 74
    Options
    Whatever I want really at the moment!
    yoghurts, cereal, chocolate, dessert mousses.
    Whatever tickles my fancy & is affordable.

Having what I want makes me feel like i'm not even on a diet so I know I will not go off track and will reach my goal.
    In future i will probably have to become a lot more disciplined but that's another chapter.

-Blake
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I am a big snacked. I have at least three a day usually. I love pop chips if you can get them there. Pickles, oranges, and skinny cow desserts.
  • IronD
    IronD Posts: 10
    Options
    One of my favorite low calorie snacks I eat is Hummus, but instead of pita bread, I eat a yellow, red, or orange bell pepper with it. one whole bell pepper is about 30 calories, and hummus is about 50 calories per serving.
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    frut, nuts, cheese....:happy:
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Some of the things I eat for snacks

4 graham crackers and a tablespoon of peanut butter (I use PB2)
    1/2 c cottage cheese w/ 1 T walnuts, 1/4 t cinnamon and 1/2 packet of Truvia
    Apple with PB2
    Celery and 2 T hummus
    1/2 banana with PB2
    1/4 c pumpkin seeds
    2 T almonds
    2 Rye Krisp crackers with 2 T hummus or 2 T low fat cream cheese
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    natural or greek yogurt with granola
  • BunnyW22
    BunnyW22 Posts: 33