I confess...

Options
lina1131
lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
I have this desire to lift heavy. I seriously would love to go to the gym, grab a bar and just have at it. Do squats, and be bad *kitten*.

But...every single damn time I go to the gym I do my cardio (run on the treadmill). The entire time i'm thinking to myself, I'm just going to go and do it. Then when I'm done, I walk my *kitten* over to the free weights and just do those. :sad: All these people in the bad *kitten* people section know what they are doing and I don't have a clue. I know that if I go over there i'm going to look like the biggest dumbass. :laugh:

I confess i'm a gym scared-y cat. :grumble:

I wish I had someone that would go with me just a few times until I felt confident doing it on my own.

Replies

• JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I am so with you there. Just yesterday I asked a friend of mine to show me how to do the squats with the dumbbell. I have yet to do it on my own. They are intimidating.
    Just ask someone and they will probably help you. most guys are willing to assist a lady.
  • hungrywhodat
    hungrywhodat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Walk over and say "hi, can someone show me how to do squats?", and then get out of the way

Whoever wins the fight will be glad to help
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Walk over and say "hi, can someone show me how to do squats?", and then get out of the way

Whoever wins the fight will be glad to help

Ha!!!
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    There really should be a sticky on this....

I understand how you feel OP :)
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    If someone offered you a million dollars to learn how to be "pretty good" at the guitar in a year, what would you do?

Take that exact process and apply it to weight lifting. Read books, watch videos, ask people, and just try it out and see what happens. A good weight training program is the best thing you can do for your appearance and health (presuming you're eating right already) and you will look back and laugh while being a role model for those who feel like you used to.
  • texasfight78
    Options
    At one point in time most of those people in the bad *kitten* section didn't know how to squat either. Just make the leap and ask for some pointers, you'll be glad you did :)
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Check out this group on the forums. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
    Also New Rules of Lifting for Women. http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women.
    You can preview the book at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398

Personally I like the stronglifts. http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
    http://www.lundswingtsun.se/pdfwce/stronglifts5x5.pdf

There are a lot of Youtube videos that you can check out after you pick a program =)

Oh, my biggest piece of advice: don't use a "smith machine" for squats or overhead presses. It is fine for pull ups and inverted rows, but you can damage yourself with the other exercises.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    The thing is, I am really intimidated in that area. I know I need to get over it. I don't think I would ever build up the courage to actually walk up to a stranger and ask "can you show me how to do this?". UGH. Maybe I should just hire a trainer for a couple of sessions until I feel more confident to do it myself.

You guys are right and I know you are, lifting is going to change my body. I need to get over being too embarrassed to go over there and do it part.
  • tomg33
    Options
    Maybe you should get a trainer if you can afford it. Don't be so hard on yourself.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    The thing is, I am really intimidated in that area. I know I need to get over it. I don't think I would ever build up the courage to actually walk up to a stranger and ask "can you show me how to do this?". UGH. Maybe I should just hire a trainer for a couple of sessions until I feel more confident to do it myself.

You guys are right and I know you are, lifting is going to change my body. I need to get over being too embarrassed to go over there and do it part.

I hired a trainer for 6 sessions and made him go over the basics with me. Then i read the NROLFW and started following that plan and I feel amazing and no longer afrai to look silly. Just go do it.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    There is a gazillion videos on youtube covering pretty much every common exercise out there. Pick one with a high rating and follow, youtube reviewers are quick to vote down bad form.

The beefcakes are grateful just to see a woman in the free weight area, so don't worry about it. As a guy I really had to get over the embarrassment of starting with light weight. Nobody said anything disrespectful, but I hated to be the guy pulling 30lbs on the lat machine or bench pressing with just the bar when the big boys were around.
  • tomg33
    Options
    It's funny in a way, this idea that these super fit people are making fun of you. Do you think they got that way by sitting around hating? It's not easy to look like that. They respect hard work, if they even notice you at all.
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I started with the not-so-scary stuff and I'm slowly working my way up. Machines first, a few dumbbell exercises, Smith machine squats, hiding out in the MMA room to work on form when no one is in there. My next goal is to graduate on to barbell stuff. . Bodybuilding.com has an exercise library that I love, along with alternate exercises, videos, and step-by-steps. Youtube is also very handy. New Rules of Lifting is great, and so is Jamie Eason's LiveFit. That may not be the best method for you, but it worked for me. Don't let your fears keep you from what you really want to do. Get in there with confidence and own it :)
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Maybe this will help.

I started stronglifts a little while ago. My first day, I went over head down went to the machine, faced the mirror and ignored everyone there. I was absolutely terrified. I have always had a big butt, and the thought of people watching me do squats made me think there was giant bullseye on rear. So in between sets, I stared at the mirror, praying no one would notice me. There were only men around and I felt completely idiotic.

So my final exercise was inverted rows. Those are awful! Well after set 2, a man walked up, and said "I can see you are struggling, if you move your hands a little further apart then you will use more of your back and it should be a little easier."

So you are not alone :flowerforyou:
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I quit the gym a month ago because I was too intimidated to do anything except for cardio :( going to stick with working out at home/outside and maybe sign back up after I lose these extra 20 pounds. DON'T be like me though! Just do it! (I know, easier said than done... lol)
  • Ashashleigh
    Ashashleigh Posts: 10
    Options
    I was apprehensive too at the start but I really wanted to do it so I booked a session with one of the trainers and he took me through the big compound lifts and I have never looked back. I second what others say about watching videos etc but the only way to make it happen is to put on your big girl pants and DO IT! If you get your form down you will gain instant respect. What have you got to lose?
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    trust me, most of those peeps in the lifting area have no idea what they're doing.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    This is a fascinating subject for me. Because from the outside looking in, I can assure you that most everyone in there will not care that a girl is lifting weights. Outside of maybe being checked out. but then thats no different than what already happens to you.

Hopefully someday you will reach the realization that most everyone there is doing everything absolutely wrong anyway. So at the very LEAST, you would head over there and be able to fit in perfectly. And at best, you read SS or New rules, learn some ideas of proper form going in, and kick some butt. Trust me, just hit depth doing squats and you will be a lifting hero at any gym with smart gym goers giving you nods of approval.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I agree with finding a youtube channel with someone that has good form doing free weights. After you become familiar with what good form looks like....study the people in the BA section....you will then be able to pick out the ones with good form, AND the ones who are totally lifting wrong! This will help empower you! Does your gym have mirrors that you can adjust your own form as you go through your ROM?

I also agree with starting a routine that is easy enough, and setting a "first time" goal that you can meet. You can always push yourself later. This is a mental challenge, not a physical one. But you are the one facing it. You've got this!
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    It's funny but true, a good 50% of the people in my gym's weight rooms don't know what they're doing.