How to make flounder taste good???

Options
woahohjme
woahohjme Posts: 28
I am TRYING so hard to incorporate fish into my diet, however I haven't came across any that taste good to me. I bought some flounder and baked it. It was Okayish....if I mixed it with other things... How do you flavor/season your fish to make it taste better???

Replies

• BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    Lemon pepper. And the tiniest bit of butter.
  • woahohjme
    woahohjme Posts: 28
    Options
    Thank you:) Ill go try that!
    Lemon pepper. And the tiniest bit of butter.
  • bhaas1972
    bhaas1972 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Old Bay if you can find it. I'm from Md so it's readily available. If not I love it with Carribean Jerk seasoning or Cajon seasoning. Bake, grill or pan fry in a little bit of olive oil.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I toast up some panko breadcrumbs and lightly coat the flounder filets with it. Then I squirt lemon juice all over the top, bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, a little more lemon on top, healthy, fresh, and delicious!!!

There is also this great dressing I bought at Whole Foods for a dip, called Amy's Naturals, Coconut Mango & Pepper, it tastes very good on top.
  • johnny059qn
    johnny059qn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    cornmeal batter and deep fry. Eat it with tartar sauce!!

Otherwise learn to love the taste of fish.
  • 65svtfastback
    65svtfastback Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Cayenne pepper!! I use it like I used to use salt lol
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    add whiskey.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Frozen flounder have a massive amount of water during the freezing process, the key is to eliminate the water, so whatever season you use will work. So I would suggest if you have to bake then use 2 piece of tin foil, One to line the pan, and crinkle the other one so it have a lot of peaks and valleys. so the excess water doesn't stick to the fish and make it soggy. and tasteless. but ultimately just get some butter on a hot pan to start and pan fry it.
  • amandanndel
    amandanndel Posts: 47
    Options
    With any type of fish I make a foil "pouch" throw lots of lemon pepper and hot pepper flakes on the fish. Top with fresh lemon slices than bake at 350 till fish is done.
  • BeckyAnne4
    BeckyAnne4 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, if you're just eating white fish at this time, switch to cod, or tilapia. they just plain taste better. flounder is icky. that's just my opinion though. i'm sure there are other people out there with the opposite opinion :wink: fish preferences aside, some lemon juice and/or some simple seasonings usually help a lot!
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    A little butter and some "Slap yo Mama" seasoning.
  • Darryl4126
    Darryl4126 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Down South I will go flounder gigging . I will clean fish leave it whole (do not fillet) stuff with crab meat and 55-60 count peeled shrimp. Before stuffing season with slap yo mama stuff and cook on grill until done
  • Jchambers1130
    Jchambers1130 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Down South I will go flounder gigging . I will clean fish leave it whole (do not fillet) stuff with crab meat and 55-60 count peeled shrimp. Before stuffing season with slap yo mama stuff and cook on grill until done

I'm with Darryl, here in Florida we cut the head off fillet one side and slap the other on the grill. Very little seasoning used. Maybe some garlic powder and lemon. Blackened is also good.
  • sznnn
    sznnn Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I put a little butter on it, then sprinkle Lawry's seasoning salt, then bake. Quick, easy and delicious. I just had it last night. :) This is also great on tilapia.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Salt. Same as everything else :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    My mother's fish recipe is good on any fish. Not super lean because it uses oil, but most of it stays in the serving dish. It's outrageously good.

Contact fried Chinese fish for 4
    some fish (fillets, whole ones, fatty, lean, doesn't matter)
    a cubic inch of ginger
    a bunch of spring onions
    a pinch of sugar
    a little alcohol (white wine, sherry, or mirin)
    a few lashing of soy sauce
    salt to taste
    lemon, lime or vinegar to taste
    a quarter cup of olive oil

Finely dice the ginger and spring onions. This can be done in advance, but keep the mixture in a bowl with the ginger on the bottom so it doesn't dry out. When you want to eat poach or microwave the fish until done. Arrange in a serving dish and sprinkle the spring onions and ginger over it. Add some lashings of soy sauce, wine and lemon, the pinch of sugar and salt, if using. Bring to table. Heat up the oil in a small sauce pan until just smoking. Carefully pour hot oilnover the fish to blend the flavor of the herbs. There will be a lot of dramatic sizzling sounds.
  • maarbo
    maarbo Posts: 22
    Options
    1st, start with the FRESHest fish you can find. If using frozen, thaw all the way, throw away the water/liquid, and pat the fish dry with a paper towel.

I normally use the pouch method to cook it. Basically start with a piece of parchment paper that's about three times the size of the fish. On one third, layer some fresh herbs (dill and parsley are good) and lemon slices, then place your fresh fish on the herbs, salt and pepper the fish, add some lemon slices on top of the fish, and top with another layer of herbs. Fold the parchment over the fish/herb pile, crimp and staple along the edge. Put the resultant "pouch" on a baking sheet and bake for about 20-30 minutes in a 350 degree F oven. Remove from the oven, carefully open the pouch (should have some steam escaping), and enjoy. You can also add OldBay seasoning, cayenne of other chili peppers, etc. Works with almost any fish and you can experiment with the herbs/seasonings.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Lots of garlic, salt and pepper!
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    First off make sure that whatever fish you are eating is fresh. Really fresh fish will not smell fishy. Ask your butcher if you can smell it. If it stinks, pick another fish. I usually go for alaskan wild caught salmon, but my kids love tilapia. I take fresh cilantro, squeeze lime juice, add some salt, water and olive oil (and if you like it spicy I put in a jalapeno) and blend it all into a puree. After that I pour it on top of the fish filet and broil on low until done.
  • MonkeeBob
    MonkeeBob Posts: 28
    Options
    Flounder has sort of a fishier taste to me but I bought a bunch of it....so it have to eat it up. I looked around online and I saw some websites that said to soak it in milk for an hour and it takes some of the fishy-ness away, and it worked! Just soak then dry off and add whatever seasonings you like. I dusted mine in flour and sautéed it in a pan with a little butter and squeezed some lemon over it when it was done, it was yummy!!