Post Weight Lifting Nutrition

Options
13»

Replies

• grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    If you need the post workout meal 30-60 min after training to get your calories and macro nutrients then go ahead and take it. If you don't need to the cals and maros in skip it.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    "Your body can digest almost any amount of protein at once"

I have never seen any peer reviewed studies on this..
    But I will bump to read your link later.

You are confusing absorption and utilisation.

When you see a study saying 60 grams of protein did not increase muscle protein synthesis more than 30 grams of protein this is not the same as saying only 30 grams was digested/absorbed.
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Here is an excerpt from the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrtion. Vol 7. The article is about many ergogenic aides (supplements), there effectiveness and supporting evidence.

Post-Exercise Carbohydrate and Protein
    Ingesting carbohydrate and protein following exercise enhances carbohydrate storage and protein synthesis. Theoretically, ingesting carbohydrate and protein following exercise may lead to greater training adaptations. In support of this theory, Esmarck and coworkers [107] found that ingesting carbohydrate and protein immediately following exercise doubled training adaptations in comparison to waiting until 2-hours to ingest carbohydrate and protein. Additionally, Tarnopolsky and associates [430] reported that post-exercise ingestion of carbohydrate with protein promoted as much strength gains as ingesting creatine with carbohydrate during training. A recent study by Kreider and colleagues [431] found that protein and carbohydrate supplementation post workout was capable of positively supporting the post exercise anabolic response. In the last few years many studies have agreed with these findings in that post workout supplementation is vital to recovery and training adaptations [13,104,431-433]. These findings underscore the importance of post-exercise carbohydrate and protein ingestion to support muscle anabolism and strength. However, it is still unclear if there are direct implications of protein/carbohydrate supplementation on other markers of performance such as time to exhaustion, maximal oxygen uptake, and/or skill development.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Here is an excerpt from the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrtion. Vol 7. The article is about many ergogenic aides (supplements), there effectiveness and supporting evidence.

Ingesting carbohydrate and protein following exercise enhances carbohydrate storage and protein synthesis. Theoretically, ingesting carbohydrate and protein following exercise may lead to greater training adaptations. In support of this theory, Esmarck and coworkers [107] found that ingesting carbohydrate and protein immediately following exercise doubled training adaptations
    Taken out of context this statement is absurd and I'm sure you can see why

in comparison to waiting until 2-hours to ingest carbohydrate and protein. Additionally, Tarnopolsky and associates [430] reported that post-exercise ingestion of carbohydrate with protein promoted as much strength gains as ingesting creatine with carbohydrate during training.
    We already know that the when, hows and whys of creatine supplementation are mostly unimportant, all that matters is that you get it
    A recent study by Kreider and colleagues [431] found that protein and carbohydrate supplementation post workout was capable of positively supporting the post exercise anabolic response.
    Of course
    In the last few years many studies have agreed with these findings in that post workout supplementation is vital to recovery and training adaptations [13,104,431-433].
    That's just inane
    These findings underscore the importance of post-exercise carbohydrate and protein ingestion to support muscle anabolism and strength. However, it is still unclear if there are direct implications of protein/carbohydrate supplementation on other markers of performance such as time to exhaustion, maximal oxygen uptake, and/or skill development.

This is a case of skimming the surface and missing the fish just below.

The point is not that peri-training nutrition has an effect, the point is that it is so small as to be unimportant for the average punter. An athlete will do whatever it takes for another 1%, whereas for real people with jobs, families, friends, hobbies, etc... It is simple supplement company marketing that makes them think it is at all worth thinking about to get your proteinz and simple carbs within 30 minutes of exercise.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Ingesting carbohydrate and protein following exercise enhances carbohydrate storage and protein synthesis. Theoretically, ingesting carbohydrate and protein following exercise may lead to greater training adaptations. In support of this theory, Esmarck and coworkers [107] found that ingesting carbohydrate and protein immediately following exercise doubled training adaptations
    Taken out of context this statement is absurd and I'm sure you can see why

in comparison to waiting until 2-hours to ingest carbohydrate and protein. Additionally, Tarnopolsky and associates [430] reported that post-exercise ingestion of carbohydrate with protein promoted as much strength gains as ingesting creatine with carbohydrate during training.
    We already know that the when, hows and whys of creatine supplementation are mostly unimportant, all that matters is that you get it
    A recent study by Kreider and colleagues [431] found that protein and carbohydrate supplementation post workout was capable of positively supporting the post exercise anabolic response.
    Of course
    In the last few years many studies have agreed with these findings in that post workout supplementation is vital to recovery and training adaptations [13,104,431-433].
    That's just inane
    These findings underscore the importance of post-exercise carbohydrate and protein ingestion to support muscle anabolism and strength. However, it is still unclear if there are direct implications of protein/carbohydrate supplementation on other markers of performance such as time to exhaustion, maximal oxygen uptake, and/or skill development.

This is a case of skimming the surface and missing the fish just below.

The point is not that peri-training nutrition has an effect, the point is that it is so small as to be unimportant for the average punter. An athlete will do whatever it takes for another 1%, whereas for real people with jobs, families, friends, hobbies, etc... It is simple supplement company marketing that makes them think it is at all worth thinking about to get your proteinz and simple carbs within 30 minutes of exercise.

This was my point... well said.

I will add, however, that a simple protein shake is quick and easy, even if it only does gain me 1%. I look at it much like I do a multi-vitamin. Do I need it? No, probably not... it certainly isn't the make or break factor in my success. However it is quick and easy, so for me it's silly not to have a shake post work-out.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    This was my point... well said.

I will add, however, that a simple protein shake is quick and easy, even if it only does gain me 1%. I look at it much like I do a multi-vitamin. Do I need it? No, probably not... it certainly isn't the make or break factor in my success. However it is quick and easy, so for me it's silly not to have a shake post work-out.

Preaching to the choir my friend :) We all have standards for what seems excessive and what doesn't. Today I spent 45 minutes foam rolling and stretching because that is a priority for me right now. Will we recommend these things to the "average" person though? We'll probably keep recommending the basics until they see results, then once they believe in their ability to change you can add the smaller stuff.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You are going to get two answers here:

1. yes its great and you have to do it
    2. no as long as you get your macros in throughout the day it doesn't matter when you eat it

I used to believe #1, now I'm a believer in #2. It just happens that I am usually hungry after my weight training and always have food ready but I don't wait to eat a meal so that I can consume it after a workout, it just happens that way.
  • jgcurry3
    Options
    Then I apologize for trying to bring a documented credible source from a published and scholarly peer reviewed journal. I guess the people with degrees and years of experience do not know what they are talking about.
  • hungrywhodat
    hungrywhodat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I religiously drink a protein shake immediately after lifting.

I'm not sure I buy the nutrient timing stuff, it's just that I find if I do that then when I get home to make dinner I will take the time to cook some chicken or something instead of just stumbling into the pantry and immediately eating all the things
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    This is a great read from The International Society of Sports Nutrition .

Nutrient timing revisited: is there a post-exercise anabolic window?
    Alan Albert Aragon1 and Brad Jon Schoenfeld2*

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    This is a great read from The International Society of Sports Nutrition .

Nutrient timing revisited: is there a post-exercise anabolic window?
    Alan Albert Aragon1 and Brad Jon Schoenfeld2*

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5

^ This is an excellent one.
  • jgcurry3
    Options
    I like this now. We have two credible sources to go off of and both have different and similar claims. Here's the link to the one I read through,

http://www.jissn.com/content/7/1/7

if what I understood was correct from the other one posted was that if you are doing multiple workouts in a day such as an AM weight training and a PM cardio then post workout meal/shake would be beneficial. In the circumstance of someone only doing weight training or only doing moderate cardio for an hour then it would not be as necessary.
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the thoughtful answers. I appreciate it.
  • OregonMatt
    OregonMatt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • OregonMatt
    OregonMatt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The principle of consuming right after a work out is sound advice. All those foods are generally good for you, if consumed in moderation, except for the cereal. That was random in the field of 10 foods.

If I go on a long bike ride like 2 hours, one of the first things I do when I get home is drink a sugar coke. Note, I do not drink or eat High Fructose Corn Syrup. I buy the mexican cokes that are still made with sugar. This sugar is quickly converted to glucose and shuttled to hungry starving muscles and will not add weight. About an hour later, I eat complex carbs, like a whole wheat sandwich with peanut butter or turkey. Good luck.

Hello, may I ask, how many grams of sugar is in that particular soda? (no hate, I'm just curious). I like to have a small amount of sugar after a workout also, it makes me feel a little better, but thats just me, everyone is different. Thanks!
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Then I apologize for trying to bring a documented credible source from a published and scholarly peer reviewed journal. I guess the people with degrees and years of experience do not know what they are talking about.

The main problem with research is people seem to think it's somehow magically 100% right and accurate. Peer review doesn't mean anything honestly, I'm working on a submission to a peer reviewed journal right now (and it's largely my opinion, reinforced by other sources). There's literally hundreds (if not thousands) of journals out there, and you can specifically market to ones with similar viewpoints.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I like this now. We have two credible sources to go off of and both have different and similar claims. Here's the link to the one I read through,

http://www.jissn.com/content/7/1/7

if what I understood was correct from the other one posted was that if you are doing multiple workouts in a day such as an AM weight training and a PM cardio then post workout meal/shake would be beneficial. In the circumstance of someone only doing weight training or only doing moderate cardio for an hour then it would not be as necessary.

I haven't looked at the above study but regarding your second paragraph, generally carbohydrate timing will matter if you're performing multiple intra-day glycogen depleting events. In the manner which you've laid out the above scenario, it would make sense to ingest post workout carbs to replenish glycogen in between training bouts, assuming the AM bout was somewhat intense.