Perforated eardrum and exercise/training - Advice?

Options
Hi all, hope you've all had a nice weekend?

This week I had to really drop my exercise to almost noting because of a really nasty cold. On Thursday night the cold culminated in almost excruciating pain inside my right ear, to cut a long story short I have got a perforated left eardrum as a result of a middle ear infection.

I have been told I can't swim until its healed which is likely to be about 4 to 6 weeks time. I've also been told I shouldn't exercise too strenuously until I've been given the all clear either.

I did a 3k slow run on the treadmill at the gym on Saturday and it didn't feel like it did anything bad so yesterday I was back in the gym on the elliptical, power walking on the treadmill and on the upright bike for about 1hr 20 in total and I'm not sure if I just feel bad because of the trauma in my ear or if I've gone and made it worse.

Does anyone have any experience of training with perforated eardrum(s)? Or does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance! xxx

Replies

• S_Arr_Uh
    S_Arr_Uh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've just perforated my left eardrum this morning (Y) Also told I couldn't swim (annoying as I was going to start up again this week!) but I asked about exercise in general and my GP said it's OK but to take it easy.. I've taken today off (even though I feel fine energy-wise, despite the cold, cough & ear thing) but I'll probably end up going tomorrow mornng anyway. I'll do strength training and depending on how I feel on waking, I'll hopefully do a spin class.

Just take it easy, do what you can. I'm only being impatient because I'm away next week and won't be able to do any exercise D: