Cheesy restrictions, what is your limit?

Options

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I try to eat lighter cheeses like Laughing Cow or cottage cheese when I'm getting a bad craving so I don't overdue it. I'm a huge cheese addict, but I do indulge with melted cheese on a tortilla if I can keep below my calories. That used to be my go-to quick meal.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't beleive dairy fat is healthy fat so I do limit cheese. I don't have a specific daily amount. I may go several days without any. If a dish requires cheese, I add cheese and I usually used reduced fat cheese. But most of my dishes don't need cheese.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    If it's Brie, Camembert, Mozzarella or Boccocini I have no limit, so I try to keep them out of my house...

But at the end of the day it's about calorie deficit. If you know you will ignore your limit and eat the whole damn thing, you have to be smart and just not buy it. Everyone has their weakness, and the first step is admitting it ;)
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If it's Brie, Camembert, Mozzarella or Boccocini I have no limit, so I try to keep them out of my house...

But at the end of the day it's about calorie deficit. If you know you will ignore your limit and eat the whole damn thing, you have to be smart and just not buy it. Everyone has their weakness, and the first step is admitting it ;)

As bad as it'll make me feel, brie and camembert are too good for me to pass up. I feel ya on that one! And in case of brie emergencies, I carry lactaid chews in my purse. I might take the entire pack of chews, but it's so worth it.
  • tomg33
    Options
    As bad as it'll make me feel, brie and camembert are too good for me to pass up. I feel ya on that one! And in case of brie emergencies, I carry lactaid chews in my purse. I might take the entire pack of chews, but it's so worth it.

Yeah my sis is quite badly lactose intolerant but loves cheese. The pills don't work as well for her though. They're more of a precautionary thing that she takes before eating at a dinner party or some such. It's funny, your friends always think you're joking and just slip a little bit in there..
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options

Yeah my sis is quite badly lactose intolerant but loves cheese. The pills don't work as well for her though. They're more of a precautionary thing that she takes before eating at a dinner party or some such. It's funny, your friends always think you're joking and just slip a little bit in there..

Totally. I have a great sense of humor about it. But that's because I'm physically incapable of not laughing at a fart. But the cramping and gurgling is no joke!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    WINE AND CHEESE HERE WE COME!
    LOTS OF IT!!!!!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I stop eating cheese when I run out of calories for the day.

Usually.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options
    WINE AND CHEESE HERE WE COME!
    LOTS OF IT!!!!!

Ugh wine and cheese how did I forget? Wine makes me not care about the consequences, then I binge on cheese (and everything else in sight) :sick:
  • jillwhite12
    jillwhite12 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese everyday and I've lost 68 lbs since January. I buy amooza twists, they're only 60 cals and 6 grams of protein....they're a great snack!
  • tomg33
    Options
    I feel like this thread should just be renamed to cut out the middle man.. Cheese freaks anonymous
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    water retention.

Or you underestimated the cals in cheese or overestimated your exercise.

Or, you forgot that weight loss isn't linear - in other words, you might not have lost weight that week whether you ate the cheese or the same calories of fruit, or veggies. Give it a couple of weeks before you blame the cheese.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese every single day! Multiple times a day. mmm I love cheese!
  • mheath1293
    mheath1293 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The weight watchers smoked cheese sticks are pretty delish, and only 50 calories per stick.
  • jessamynwest
    jessamynwest Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I found that I could halve the cheese I put into a lot of things and not notice it at all. So my cheese approach (and I am from Vermont where we love cheese!) is

- halve cheese amounts
    - if a recipe will tolerate it, use some of the lower fat cheese options
    - supplement with lower cal/fat cheese like grated parmesan- sometimes try hummus or low fat sour cream instead
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I eat an ounce or two of cheese practically every day, 3-4 ounces if I'm having my weekly wine-and-cheese night with my friend. I use low or non-fat during the week because I'd rather eat more calories of something else, and I splurge on the good stuff for wine night. Cheese isn't going to set you back. Not measuring your cheese out accurately will, though.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

I noticed that I was working out to earn extra calories and then stuffed myself with chedder and other cheesy treats. But because they are so high in sodium and fat I was thinking it wasnt very smart of me, and I havent lost any weight during the time I did this, eventhough I always stayed under my calorie goal.

Yesterday I planned to put 1.5 oz of blue cheese on a full meal salad. 1.5 oz does not sound like a whole lot and isn't. I was just fine as far as calories were concerned, but this small piece of cheese had 1700mgs of sodium....the amount I usually eat in three days !
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese daily, usually twice a day. Sometimes more. Cheese is good for you. It's a protein and a fat so it's a great snack choice. I'll usually put some cheese in my eggs or on a wrap and have a cheesestick or slice of cheese for a snack.
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I just follow macros. I do lower fat cheeses. I am hooked on laughing cow wedges for burgers and sandwiches, and Crystal farms has a Jalapeno one that is divine. I do light string cheeses. I now make my own cream cheese from 4 cups 2% milk, 1 cup 1% cultured butterfat, 2/3 cup non-fat powdered milk, 3 drops rennet. It is so good on rosemary triscuits. And you can add in herbs with it and make some great spreads. Or go sweet and make some great desserts. I haven't been able to figure out exactly how much it has for calories and fat because so much whey drains off through the whole process. I also love making mushroom caps stuffed with fontina, basil and canadian bacon.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    As much as I want to.