Absurd: McDonalds doubles up the chips

Options

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    <--This poster ate McD today, I pay more than plenty in taxes, and I pay quite dearly for some extremely good health insurance. Maybe you should rethink a little about the 'type' of people who eat at McD.

So you're against the super-duper size fries?
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Nando's has been serving a large portion of chips at 1241 cals (as advertised on their menu) for some time. Nobody seems to be getting their knickers in a twist about that.

I guess it is just fashionable to criticize McDonalds.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    So everyone who's on a 1200 cals diet can eat 1 mega potato and call it a day! Nice.
    you can split it up over several meals :P
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Sooo...why don't we just educate the population then? Why jump to legislation?

The US has had a food education program in schools for 70 years. Obesity is through the roof.
    It's not just about putting it in the schools. Most of the time the parents buy ****ty food for kids so that's what they truly learn and grow up with. Parents need to learn better nutrition and pass that along to their children.
    Overweight people KNOW why they are overweight, they just choose to do nothing about it (speaking of people who don't have metabolic or health issues that attribute to being overweight). Parent do need to learn more, but at the same time they have to apply common sense. If their kid is looking pretty overweight, YOU DON'T KEEP FEEDING THEM MORE.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I completely agree. People need to take responsibility for themselves. I was just saying to teach the parents as a follow up to the question of educating the population to which it was replied that we teach kids, but obesity continues to rise.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

The US has had a food education program in schools for 70 years. Obesity is through the roof.
    It's not just about putting it in the schools. Most of the time the parents buy ****ty food for kids so that's what they truly learn and grow up with. Parents need to learn better nutrition and pass that along to their children.
    Overweight people KNOW why they are overweight, they just choose to do nothing about it (speaking of people who don't have metabolic or health issues that attribute to being overweight). Parent do need to learn more, but at the same time they have to apply common sense. If their kid is looking pretty overweight, YOU DON'T KEEP FEEDING THEM MORE.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I know you aren't advocating common sense? That is just silly talk. :drinker:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    <--This poster ate McD today, I pay more than plenty in taxes, and I pay quite dearly for some extremely good health insurance. Maybe you should rethink a little about the 'type' of people who eat at McD.

I am for the super-duper fries. Once my kids are older, I can buy one portion of those for the entire family! Right now I can still get the smaller size, but once my three boys are hitting those teen years....Yikes!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I think this part is the kicker
    "According to Japan Today, the Mega Potato is being advertised as "perfect for sharing" and is launched after the director of nutrition for McDonald's insisted that its menu can be good for you. "

This is being marketed to Japan and that fact actually has significance as to why this is even being put on the market. In east Asia (Korea and Japan in particular) there's a fad called "potato party" going around right now. Young people will go to McDonalds and buy a whole bunch of fries and then spread all of them out on the table and eat them all (of course divided up among many different people). It's been causing some trouble in Japan because it's seen as rude. This is probably to combat that trend.
    o-MCDONALDS-FRENCH-FRY-PARTY-570.jpg?15
    rude.jpg

Holy crap! How aren't they all obese?
  • crista_b
    Options

I am for the super-duper fries. Once my kids are older, I can buy one portion of those for the entire family! Right now I can still get the smaller size, but once my three boys are hitting those teen years....Yikes!
    No sharing! McDonalds will force you to eat them all yourself!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I completely agree. People need to take responsibility for themselves. I was just saying to teach the parents as a follow up to the question of educating the population to which it was replied that we teach kids, but obesity continues to rise.

The parents have been taught. Their parents have been taught. Their parents' parents have been taught.

And they stuff their kids full of crap anyway.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    "According to Japan Today, the Mega Potato is being advertised as "perfect for sharing" and is launched after the director of nutrition for McDonald's insisted that its menu can be good for you. "

This is being marketed to Japan and that fact actually has significance as to why this is even being put on the market. In east Asia (Korea and Japan in particular) there's a fad called "potato party" going around right now. Young people will go to McDonalds and buy a whole bunch of fries and then spread all of them out on the table and eat them all (of course divided up among many different people). It's been causing some trouble in Japan because it's seen as rude. This is probably to combat that trend.
    rude.jpg

Holy crap! How aren't they all obese?

Because maybe they don't eat them every day? Maybe they are very active? Maybe they don't finish them? Just a couple reasons that came to mind.
  • mattashbrock
    Options
    Why do we think it all comes down to education? People know cigarettes cause cancer, people know not using condoms/bc results in pregnancy and stds, people know eating a lot of calories makes you fat. It is very arrogant of middle/upperclass people to simply think if only people just knew all these facts all of these problems would go away. I challenge you to find one person who actually thinks these things are healthy and yet people still do them. They do them for much more simple reasons namely they are enjoyable to the people that do them. Fast food tastes good, it's inexpensive and fast. Education will not combat these things.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    -
    Double post
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    I like it when they sell stuff like this. It is cheaper to get the bigger size than multiple of the smaller sizes. We split it between everyone at the table. Right now, my kids are young enough that a small or medium is still usually enough for the three of us, but someday.....

I'm not even gonna tell you what I think about people who feed McDonald's to their kids.

This^
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    like u are telling us info we dont know
  • crista_b
    Options

The parents have been taught. Their parents have been taught. Their parents' parents have been taught.

And they stuff their kids full of crap anyway.
    You must have missed my previous statement. Most people were "taught" nutrition as a side-note in school as children. They don't do the grocery shopping. Their parents do. So what they actually learn is from home/family where they get the majority of their meals. So children grow up learning poor nutrition and no exercise, and that's all the know so it gets passed down to their children when they're parents. It's a cycle that won't stop until adults/parents take responsibility for themselves and their children.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Curious...so when you graduated high school did you know what a calorie was. Did you know the difference between a carbohydrate, protein, and fat? Did you know the calcium requirements for a growing teen?

I sure as heck didnt, and I only needed one semester of PE.

I absolutely think more education is needed and ASAP!
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    you know what, i don't feel like a 20 piece nuggets are intended for one person. I would feel better if they called it the family size, which for me (with 3 kids) i appreciate things that come in shareable sizes
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I'm not even gonna tell you what I think about people who feed McDonald's to their kids.

:laugh:
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Hrm....makes me wonder if they are gonna create me a quadruple quarter-pounder w/cheese to go with it.
    Can't have just fries....that doesn't seem right!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

rude.jpg

Oh, those overweight Japanese will eat anything . . .

And look that kid has a sugared soda at the table. Damn obese Japanese eating their Mickey D french fries.