Absurd: McDonalds doubles up the chips

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I think this part is the kicker
    "According to Japan Today, the Mega Potato is being advertised as "perfect for sharing" and is launched after the director of nutrition for McDonald's insisted that its menu can be good for you. "

This is being marketed to Japan and that fact actually has significance as to why this is even being put on the market. In east Asia (Korea and Japan in particular) there's a fad called "potato party" going around right now. Young people will go to McDonalds and buy a whole bunch of fries and then spread all of them out on the table and eat them all (of course divided up among many different people). It's been causing some trouble in Japan because it's seen as rude. This is probably to combat that trend.
    o-MCDONALDS-FRENCH-FRY-PARTY-570.jpg?15
    rude.jpg

Holy crap! How aren't they all obese?

Because maybe they don't eat them every day? Maybe they are very active? Maybe they don't finish them? Just a couple reasons that came to mind.

Come on! McDonald's instantly makes you fat. Forget portion control, exercise and balanced macros.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

I'm not even gonna tell you what I think about people who feed McDonald's to their kids.

:laugh:

That an occasional treat is fine and teaches the kid about moderation and talks about why there is nothing inherently evil about food just some nourishes the body more than others is a good parent? :bigsmile:
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    So everyone who's on a 1200 cals diet can eat 1 mega potato and call it a day! Nice.
    you can split it up over several meals :P

Yep! Might boost your metabolism by doing so!
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    THE MEGA POTATO?

seriously. this is gross.

Its mental. They know damn well people will eat it.

this is true, but it isnt their responsibility to decide for you what you eat. I know people severly overweight who go to McDonalds and order two large fries for themselves, anyway, so what is the difference? I know people who order a whole large pizza and eat it in one sitting. Just as these fries are advertised as "perfect for sharing" one wouldnt think a single person should eat a large pizza, yet people do. Companies are going to continue selling large amounts of unhealthy food, because people are buying it. I educate my family and myself as much as I can, and other people make their own decisions.

Also, I knew when I was ordering two value meals at once, just for myself, that it was too much food... I made that decision, noone else did it for me!! And yeah, I was one of those people ordering a large pizza, plus the cinnamon sticks, from Papa Johns and eating it all in one night. I knew it was wrong, thats why I only did it when I was home alone and never told anyone about it! People are going to eat that much whether McDonalds sells it in that size or not! I didnt have to know what a calorie was to know I was going overboard-- I just didnt care at that time!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Side note: I'm really surprised at the amount of debate on this on a fitness-centered website. It seems that the people on here are self-aware enough that they know they need to take responsibility for their lives and/or fitness, but a lot of people still want to jump and blame "the man" for causing obesity and health problems. Strange.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Well, they do say it's perfect for sharing...maybe they mean with 10 people!!!!!!!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I like it when they sell stuff like this. It is cheaper to get the bigger size than multiple of the smaller sizes. We split it between everyone at the table. Right now, my kids are young enough that a small or medium is still usually enough for the three of us, but someday.....

I'm not even gonna tell you what I think about people who feed McDonald's to their kids.

It's not just about putting it in the schools. Most of the time the parents buy ****ty food for kids so that's what they truly learn and grow up with. Parents need to learn better nutrition and pass that along to their children.

This^

The amount of passed judgement in your last two posts in this thread is awesome to say the least. I like you.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    Options

That an occasional treat is fine and teaches the kid about moderation and talks about why there is nothing inherently evil about food just some nourishes the body more than others is a good parent? :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Side note: I'm really surprised at the amount of debate on this on a fitness-centered website. It seems that the people on here are self-aware enough that they know they need to take responsibility for their lives and/or fitness, but a lot of people still want to jump and blame "the man" for causing obesity and health problems. Strange.

Not everyone here has gotten to the point of realizing that they are responsible for themselves, or that they alone can really motivate themselves. It's painful to watch tbh.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    Options

This^^^
  • crista_b
    Options

Not everyone here has gotten to the point of realizing that they are responsible for themselves, or that they alone can really motivate themselves. It's painful to watch tbh.
    True. I guess that's why there's so many threads about diet pills and things like that. Those seem to be the kind of people that are still trying to find an excuse and easy fix. Sad.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

If we just pretend millions of people aren't dying from obesity-related conditions, and focus on the people who obsessively track food intake on an app, it's very strange indeed.
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

True. I guess that's why there's so many threads about diet pills and things like that. Those seem to be the kind of people that are still trying to find an excuse and easy fix. Sad.

People need to accept the fact they can't undo a lifetime of damage with a magic pill.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    It's not McDonalds job to keep your eating habits in check. They sell a product, buy it or don't.
    The groceries store sells 10 pound bags of potatoes. If you don't understand that those are not meant for one person to eat in one sitting, well, you have a problem.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options

That might be true, if McDonald's were actually food.
    Websters:

"Any <b>nutritious</b> substance that people or animals eat or drink, or that plants absorb, in order to maintain life and growth. "

I find nothing nutritious about fries. Therefore they are not food. They are poison.

Delicious, addictive, crispy, salty poison.
  • crista_b
    Options

If we just pretend millions of people aren't dying from obesity-related conditions, and focus on the people who obsessively track food intake on an app, it's very strange indeed.
    Not everyone on here obsessively tracks food. This website isn't just about losing weight; it's about fitness and overall health. Yes, millions of people are dying from obesity-related conditions, but we need to stop blaming other people for it. The fact is, as long as people continue to shirk the responsibility of their health, there is going to be an obesity problem.
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sadly, people often don't like to think for themselves!
    9027c97e1c6fbe7d9bbe8c4d2d6bdca4

You are my favorite person today.. .sadly I think the world of Idiocracy is closer then we think :(
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I like it when they sell stuff like this. It is cheaper to get the bigger size than multiple of the smaller sizes. We split it between everyone at the table. Right now, my kids are young enough that a small or medium is still usually enough for the three of us, but someday.....

It's not just about putting it in the schools. Most of the time the parents buy ****ty food for kids so that's what they truly learn and grow up with. Parents need to learn better nutrition and pass that along to their children.

This^

The amount of passed judgement in your last two posts in this thread is awesome to say the least. I like you.

Thanks. I like you too. I don't like BS. Everyone judges. I just post my judgment. Cheers!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options

Yes, do tell.

I want to know.

I fed my kids McDonalds - not every day or even every week or every month - but a few times a year we would have McDonalds.
    Strangely, none of my now adult children are over weight.

Re the original post - Im not seeing the issue - the chips are marketed as perfect for sharing - so buy them and share between your family or friends - or buy the smaller size for just yourself - too easy.:happy:

Not getting how it is any different to buying, say, a large pizza and sharing between your family - or buying a single serve or small one for yourself.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options

^^to both:drinker: