What is a great IPhone App for new runners?

AJHornik
AJHornik Posts: 58 Member
I want to start a running/walking program tomorrow. I'm looking for an app that possibly tells me what mph to run at when. Can anyone help??:glasses:

Replies

• lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Bumping for responses, as my husband suddenly expressed interest in a 5K recently.
  • danekin
    danekin Posts: 21
    If you're looking for a good C25K app try "Ease into 5k".
    If you're just looking for a great walking, jogging, running app try "Runtastic". Runtastic also links into MFP so your calorie burn gets logged as soon as your activity is completed. It calculates energy burn, distance, speed, etc.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    When I started wanting to run, I used the c25kFREE app by Zen Labs on my iPhone. It is a 9 week program that has you running for 30 minutes, or about a 5k, by the end of the 9 weeks. It prompts you when to warm up, when to run, when to walk, etc, through a cool down at the end for each session - you do this three days a week.

It doesn't give you a pace or mph to run, and honestly, speed doesn't matter when you're starting out. Just compete each day's time, going as slowly as you need to in order to finish each round. Slow running is still running! Your endurance builds up as you progress through the weeks, and before you know it, you're running for 30 minutes without stopping. :bigsmile:

Once I knew I could run for that amount of time, I started using other programs to track my distance and pace (although I still didn't worry so much about speed at that point), so I could see how far I was going - 5k and beyond!

Good luck in your quest to start running - I've been at it for about a year and half now, and I love it. This weekend marks the anniversary of my first 5k race, and I'm registered to run the same one again this year. I can't wait!
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    I use RunKeeper to track my distance, speed and calories. I believe that they have training programs on it as well. Check it out.
  • AJHornik
    Thank you for all your responses!! :)
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    I use 5K runner on my iphone.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    I love MapMyRun.
  • urbanplum
    urbanplum Posts: 188
    I like MapMyRun, Endomondo, and Ease Into 5K
  • k11a
    k11a Posts: 6 Member
    I love http://easeinto5k.bluefinapps.com/
    if you turn on gps you get your run, distance, map, pace, calories burned and track over time
    you can import your play list, or I listen to audio books.

its a 9 week program to train for a 5k, its challenging.. but starts you off slow... and builds you up over time.
  • cisko213
    cisko213 Posts: 10 Member
    I use 10k runner by clearsky. It's pretty much just a timer that tells you when to run and when to walk. I started in April and today was week 7 day 1. In addition I use the nike running app at the same time. The nike app gives you very good details about your runs with splits and pace times. Plus it adds to your nike fuel points which is fun and addicting. I think the key is to stay within the training. I could have easily run past the 1 minute run clock on day one. But I didn't. I checked my ego and went with program.
  • ayankeefan51
    ayankeefan51 Posts: 135 Member
    I also use a c25k app since I'm a beginner at running. but I will try these others as well.
  • AJHornik
    I will be running on a treadmill at first, so I won't needing a mapping or gps unit. I guess I was just concerned with my speed, because I seem to do too much too soon. I did download the C2K Free app, I like it.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Endomondo- i love it, and you can set up auto sync to your mfp account and loggs your exercise for you! simple to use too
  • My mom swears by Couch to 5K.
  • AJHornik
    I decided on C25K FREE. Thank you all, and send me motivational thoughts! :glasses: