Anyone from California

Options
2»

Replies

• Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Great info! I am actually going to all the baseball stadiums in California.

I do have free time during the day while going to the games at night.

Spending most of time in LA, Anaheim, and San Francisco.

No kids on this trip. This is my 50th birthday present to myself.

I am a true foodie, love the beach and wine.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Oh!! Thanks for the suggestions.
  • passmetheducksauce
    passmetheducksauce Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    hey bro, you must eat in and out burgers, carl's jr and alberto's(carne asada nachos are better than the fries and the fish burrito is bomb)

don't go to venice beach, its ghetto

3rd street promenade in santa monica

there's so much to do!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I am going to California and plan to visit the following cities.

San Diego

Los Angeles

Anaheim

San Francisco

Napa Valley

Oakland

Well first off skip Oakland. As was once said about it. There is no there, there. Napa any winery or restaurant, a favorite is V Situi.
    Go check out highway 49 and the gold country. SF is pretty touristy and expensive but that said go see the Giants play.
  • Refr_Quicksilver
    Options
    Dont go to ****s Last Resort... Bad idea.. unless you like wearing a penis hat...

While in San Diego, go to the gaslamp district (****s Last Resort is a fun place to eat), Coronado bay bridge, balboa park.
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Having lived in the Monterey area for nearly two years, and fallen in love with both San Diego and San Fran, I'd opine that you can pretty much skip anything in the LA area (personal opinion). Lots to do in the San Diego area (as mentioned), neat stuff in/around Monterey, and San Fran is a treasure trove. You could also side track and head out to Yosemite and/or Lake Tahoe....both are great for outdoors activities.
  • medicvaldez
    medicvaldez Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I know it's out of the way but Yosemite Nat'l Park is amazing
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I live in Pacific Beach, San Diego. It really depends on what your interests are!

For me, I am very laid-back and stick with the beach scene. There are a lot of events near Mission Bay Park. You can visit Belmont Park- it's like a year-round carnival on the beach and there are several restaurants, bars and shops in the area. Great people watching.

La Jolla is an upscale area of San Diego with great restaurants, wine tastings, beautiful ocean views and art galleries.

Check out downtown SD for the nightlife. The San Diego Zoo is world famous. I live next to Seaworld, it's a lot of fun too! If you like land/water tours, check out the Duck Tours. Oh, and look into the USS Midway aircraft carrier museum.

HAVE FUN!

Pretty much this. And visit some breweries while there.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Oakland... skip Oakland. The stadium is nothing impressive and well... when I go to Oakland I go heavily armed.
  • autumny70
    autumny70 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    China Town in San Fran too. Super fun, great food. Watch the game in Oakland, but pretty much leave as quickly as you can after. I agree Venice is Ghetto, Santa Monica is much nicer. Newport/Balboa Island are about 15 min from Anaheim, lots to do walking around there. Huntington Beach (Surf City USA) is just a few minutes north, that's my favorite beach. Fred's for Cerveza and tacos, and make sure you hit In n Out at least once. Double Double Animal Style, mmm.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    hey bro, you must eat in and out burgers, carl's jr and alberto's(carne asada nachos are better than the fries and the fish burrito is bomb)

don't go to venice beach, its ghetto

3rd street promenade in santa monica

there's so much to do!

Agreed...3rd street Promenade is way better. Great restaurants and pubs in the area, too. Hit up The Kings Head Pub.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Oakland... skip Oakland. The stadium is nothing impressive and well... when I go to Oakland I go heavily armed.

Lol yeah, I only drive through Oakland, I never stop.
  • LinFlemmer331
    LinFlemmer331 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This is a little out of the way but unbelievably beautiful...Yosemite! Oh and you must see the Redwoods, there is a grove close to Frisco! Yea, and everything else everyone suggested and more..... California has it all.
  • jolene_ca
    jolene_ca Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'll 3rd the Yosemite recommendation. Cut straight over out of Monterey. Great hiking and it's gorgeous. I live nearby. Santa Cruz mountains are an enjoyable ride as well. In SanFran my husband and I always make it a point to drive down Lombard St (Crookedest street) it's fun. 17 mile drive in Monterey and cannery row. In Anaheim Disneyland is great (so great we have annual passes...can't get enough of it!)
  • charmagnebrown
    Options
    I'm just jealous! Been in Texas for 5 yrs now, miss my home! Love all of California! From Anaheim area, but love San Diego and San Francisco! So much to do, all good suggestions! Go see my Angels play for me! Have a great time!
  • juliana0813
    juliana0813 Posts: 49
    Options
    I live in LA and when my boyfriend comes (he's German, we met in Austria when i studied abroad) i took him to the santa monica pier, the peterson automotive museum, griffith observatory, hollywood, hollywood sign, and we didn't have enough time to do lacma but those are some i recommend! :-)
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Happy 50th!!! Yes to the food and wine, wherever you go.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions here. I always make a trip to the Self Realization Temple in Encinitas when I go back to SD. It's just a beautiful place to walk around and relax.