Calling all UC and Crohn's sufferers on their MFP quest....

Options
I am a long term UC sufferer and I would like to know if there are any others out there with UC/Crohn's who have managed to become strong and fit in spite of their IBD.

We are strange creatures - we can be normal weight (or more!) and well for ages, then become very poorly and get very skinny very quickly. I have wavered, at 5ft 7, between 10.5 stone and 8.5st (148lb and 120lb) in the past few years. I like myself best at the mid-point but the symptoms of the disease make it very hard to summon up energy to exercise. Co-morbidities such as arthritis don't help either! At the moment I'm in a bad patch but I've still got the energy to cycle. In a few weeks, it'll be a different story.

Add me if you are an IBD survivor!

Replies

• bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    though I do not suffer from such conditions - I wanted to share with you regarding an article that I read about today regarding a research study for individuals regarding "fecal transplants". Fecal matter is collected from a family member - in this case the study was done with children, so collected from healthy parents/friends, filtered, added to saline solution and given to individuals via enema. Though a small study, results were promising. May sound disgusting to some, however the article stated that affected individuals were willing to try anything for relief that has caused significant issues with every day life.

Take care:heart:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and my hubby has UC. I also have 2 autoimmune conditions- PsA arthritis and a spinal cord disease similar to MS. I have found that cutting out processed sugars and most grains, especially wheat, has made a tremendous difference in my pain and inflammation levels, and in my intestinal issues. I am a completely different person than I was 8 months ago. I also keep my net carbs below 60g/day, so I have evolved into a High Fat Low Carb diet at 50%Healthy fats/30%Protein/20% carbs (mostly non starch veggies and fruit)

I never would have believed that simply changing the foods I eat, would have made such a difference. The only time my IBS has flared up is when I have eaten bread. I can get away with a very small amount, but if I go over, I feel it immediately in my guts and by the morning, with pain thru out my body.
    I also eat a very high fiber diet, without problems.
  • MtnGirl525
    MtnGirl525 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi Ragingwitch,
    I was diagnosed with CD last year in Sept. I'm heavier now than I want to be. I'm about 40 lbs away from my goal. My doctor told me one of the best things you can do is get into the gym. Working out helps reduce inflammation. It helps with your energy level. And, depending on what stage your disease is in, can be invaluable in combating osteoporosis made worse by steroids (prednisone).

I know how hard it can be to make it to the gym when you're not feeling well. Sometimes all you can do is make the trips between bed and the bathroom. But if you're well enough to make it out the door, getting there is half the battle. And even if you don't accomplish everything you'd like to at the gym, be proud of what you can do. Every effort counts.

As a general rule, I avoid caffeine. But if you're really having a hard time mustering the energy I have found that vitamin b-12 sublingual supplements give me just enough of an energy boost to successfully conquer fatigue, without the unwanted side effect of the big D. You can find them at most health food and vitamin stores. They dissolve under your tongue. They may not be effective however if you've had an ileocecal resection, as b-12 is absorbed in this part of your small intestine. You would know, because you would already be taking monthly b-12 shots.

Best of luck in health. Feel free to add me.