Fat loss with cardio and strength training

Options
What do you guys think is the better mix of strength and cardio for fat loss? The strength training I do is full body.

day 1 : strength
day 2 : cardio
day 3 : strength
day 4 : cardio
day 5 : strength
day 6 : cardio
day 7 : rest

or

day 1 : strength
day 2 : cardio
day 3 : cardio
day 4 : strength
day 5 : cardio
day 6 : cardio
day 7 : rest

In other words is it worth doing strength training more than twice a week?

Any other mixes?

cheers!
Tony.

Replies

• kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Bump

Just starting to add strength into my routine. Interested in answers!!
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    The one I use is identical to your second list. Stregth training 2x a week but I enjoy running!!
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    i'd recommend doing more strength than cardio each week. Too much cardio will aid weight loss but weight loss is a combination of water, fat, muscle and bone density.

strength training for fat loss and lean mass maintenance
    cardio for stamina/ fitness improvements

I only do cardio (spin, circuit training) because i enjoy it.
    Hope that helps
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I know guys that lift 6 or 7 days/week. They tell me they never work the same muscle group without ~48 hours rest.

I do StrongLifts 3 days/week and cardio 2-4 days/week.

Out of your 2 proposed options I would choose the first, but either would be better than doing nothing at all :)
  • harleenarang
    harleenarang Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert but I would day Option 1 is the better any day. I personally feel much better on the days I do strength than the days I do just cardio so now I add 20 -30 mins strength even on full cardio days so basically there are no full cardio days.
    Cardio is very good for heart and conditioning but I am a strong believer of strength.

Also from the numerous success stories I have read - Strength training has always been on top of their charts.
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Why don't you do strength + cardio on some days? You can do cardio in the morning, before breakfast, and strength train after a protein-filled breakfast. A lot of research has indicated that exercise before eating is associated with higher levels of fat burn because your body has to draw on fat and calories stored for energy rather than calories from food you've recently eaten. However, it's very important to have some fuel before strength training. For optimal muscle recovery, the ideal food to have after running or any intense cardio has a 2:1 carbs-protein ratio, although if you're strength training that same day, you need a bit more protein. AND get plenty of sleep!
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    Sorry, I should of said. I already do option 1. I was just wondering if option 2 was better!

and the cardio I do is aleady "fasted".

thanks for all your replies!
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    I really think it depends on what you are trying to acheive. I will say this...after 4 months of cardio and no strength training, I lost a lot of weight but really hit a wall. Been lifting now for 4 weeks with the following routine and have had good success.

1. Upper Body
    2. Lower Body
    3. Cardio
    4. Upper Body
    5. Lower Body
    6. Cardio
    7. Rest

In reality, I am doing light cardio for warmup before I lift...about 15 minutes...couple miles. All I can say is at the point I am at now, lifting is the focus and cardio is secondary.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Taking workout intensity out of the conversation...

Most people will see better short-term results with more cardio, but better long term results with more strength training. Assuming fat loss/body comp is your primary goal, I'd do something like this...

strength
    HIIT
    rest
    repeat