Breaking the binge habit (help!)

Options
I am a binge eater. I have been trying very hard to change this habit... I eat small meals every 2-3 hours all day, but when night time rolls around I get cravings. BIG ones. I can sit down and eat my plate of delicious veggies and rice. Then I need something sweet so I have a (most of the time very large) bowl of Special K. Then another. Then peppers and salsa. Then something else. It just seems like I NEED to feel painfully full to be satisfied. I know it takes time to break the habit and I have been doing well but the cravings are driving me craaaaaaaaaaazy!! Anyone know what would help? I hit my calorie goals. I am eating enough. I just miss eating until I'm full. :frown:

Replies

• krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    i struggle, mainly that certain time of the month, with the exact same thing....you sound like your are describing me at times...I have found that since i have upped my water intake....i usually drink 15 eight oz glasses of water a day, this has helped with those cravings and helps me feel that lovely full feeling that i need...hope this helps...plus try to visualize how bad you feel after you eat all that.
  • pastamomma
    pastamomma Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you are missing something in your daily eating that your body is craving - nutrients, protein, carbs, flavor? I've just restarted this weight-loss journey but had some dieting success many years ago and found the following advice useful. Your body craves things it needs (as well as things driving by your emotional/hormonal/"flavoral" appetites). Try waiting 1/2 hour to fulfill your next binge. Set a timer. Drink some water. Many times you'll find you are listening to something other than true hunger. If, after the 1/2 hour you still are craving something, have it but only allow yourself 1/2 of what you'd normally eat. That way you aren't blowing your hard work completely out of the water.

Good luck. I struggle with these, too, but I'm making progress. I'm sure you will, too!
  • MelissaHopeG
    MelissaHopeG Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Me too, its almost like I just eat because I like something to do as well. I started chewing gum as a result, but I don't think chewing as much gum as I do is healthy...
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Same. I drink a lot of water and I always make sure that I've exercised enough to be able to 'afford' a little chocolate at night (I need that sweet finish to a meal to really feel satisfied). I also try to eat a little more at dinner to feel more full. After dinner I put everything away and start doing something for me (bath, computer time, a walk, sewing). And I've been going to bed about 2 hours earlier so I don't stay up munching lol. I needed the extra sleep, so it's a bonus!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You are eating too little during the day and that's why you binge at night.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    No, you're not a Binge eater. It's normal that your body wants to eat until you hit your calorie count for the day. If you have a large deficit, it's most likely the cause with the combination of nibbling on 200-300 calorie foods a day. Your body naturally wants to eat until it's full when you first start eating in the morning because your stomach doesn't have a built in calculator. Your stomach literally does not know how to divide your calories throughout the day. Tricks that a lot of fitness pros use is drinking 2 full glasses of water before each meal to trick your stomach into thinking that it's full, but I hate using that trick because you just pee it out 2 hours later and become hungry again. If you like spending all day in the bathroom, by all means drink drink and DRINK! There is something else you can do that is more natural. Skip breakfast, lunch, and only eat dinner. That way you won't be hungry every 3 hours. Count your calories just for dinner and you should be fine.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. Eat junk till I literally pass out from discomfort and probably the blood sugar rush from all the processed carbs.

Its more to do with ur mind I realized, after reading the book "Women, Food and God" by Geneen Roth. (the book is not religious) This book tremendously helped with my binges at night and I hope it will help u too.
  • thinkfreee
    thinkfreee Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys! I think I'm still going continue to eat 6 (or more when I exercise) 200 calorie meals a day, (my calorie goal is 1200) and tough it out until my body gets used to it. The water thing that some of you suggested should help, I know I'm not drinking enugh. Also, I think I'm just sitting around doing nothing too often. I need some hobbies to occupy me! The gum thing might work in a pinch too, I don't chew often. I'll pick up a pack and see if it helps! Thanks again everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • thinkfreee
    Options
    You are eating too little during the day and that's why you binge at night.

I try my best to space my meals in 200 calorie increments during the day (daily activities permitting), that's what my trainer has asked me to do. Also, it seems like if I eat larger meals earlier in the day, they only increase in size by night. I think I just need to learn self control. Haha. I do hit my calorie goals, and go over when I exercise (even if my diary doesn't reflect it). I tend to not log the last few things I eat as long as I know I'm within my limits.
  • AshlieCrabtree
    AshlieCrabtree Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to be a very bad binge eater! I would eat until I was physically sick and over the course of two years I gained a whopping 40 lbs! You could be binge eating becuase you aren't eating enough during the day or it could be other reasons. Try talking to a counsoler who specializes in treating people with abnormal eating habits and see if they can help you figure out why you're binging and how to correct it. What ended working for me was putting a sign on my fridge and pantry door that said, "Stop and think!" When I saw the sign (as silly as it sounds) it reminded me to think about why I was eating. Am I bored? Am I feeling blue? If the answer was anything besides "I'm hungry" then I'd walk away and find something else to do. Good luck! Binge eating is a tough habit to break!
  • thinkfreee
    Options
    No, you're not a Binge eater. It's normal that your body wants to eat until you hit your calorie count for the day. If you have a large deficit, it's most likely the cause with the combination of nibbling on 200-300 calorie foods a day. Your body naturally wants to eat until it's full when you first start eating in the morning because your stomach doesn't have a built in calculator. Your stomach literally does not know how to divide your calories throughout the day. Tricks that a lot of fitness pros use is drinking 2 full glasses of water before each meal to trick your stomach into thinking that it's full, but I hate using that trick because you just pee it out 2 hours later and become hungry again. If you like spending all day in the bathroom, by all means drink drink and DRINK! There is something else you can do that is more natural. Skip breakfast, lunch, and only eat dinner. That way you won't be hungry every 3 hours. Count your calories just for dinner and you should be fine.

I'm not talking about eating until I'm full. I'm talking about 1,000-4,000 calorie binges until I feel like I want to throw up. And then eat more. I think that probably counts as binging. Lol. Especially when done multiple times a week. Unfortunately, I cannot skip breakfast and lunch... I become light headed and dizzy after a few hours (and have no energy for my training sessions), but I think the water thing might do the trick. I don't mind being hungry after 2-3 hours, I'll need to eat again by then anyway. I'm trying to break the binging habit to help stabilize my metabolism, so I think the one meal a day thing would be counter productive for me. I appreciate your suggestion though, thank you. :)
  • thinkfreee
    Options
    I had the same problem. Eat junk till I literally pass out from discomfort and probably the blood sugar rush from all the processed carbs.

Its more to do with ur mind I realized, after reading the book "Women, Food and God" by Geneen Roth. (the book is not religious) This book tremendously helped with my binges at night and I hope it will help u too.

I love books, thanks for the suggestion!
  • LesleyNegus
    LesleyNegus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    craving is horrible isnt it.

have you tried something like putting the, for example, Special K box, on the table in front of you and seeing what thoughts come up, without actually eating any. As someone else said earlier, craving tends to come from something other than hunger (assuming your body doesn't actually need the calories). A counsellor I was seeing suggested that instead of walking past the biscuit aisle (my particular weakness) with my eyes averted, I should go and stand in there and see what happened. It felt weird, but I did feel more in control afterwards. She said it is something to do with the energy used trying so hard NOT to do something, if you can get your thoughts along the right lines, it is much easier to make a decision that you are not going to eat x, y or z rather than continual, exhausting, resistance

or I have found Paul McKenna's anti-craving thing works. It involves doing certain physical things, like tapping your collarbone, and verbal things, like humming Happy Birthday. It sounds mad, and I felt an idiot when I tried it, but it really did reduce the craving. It is also something to do with re-setting your thought patterns, like stamding in the biscuit aisle

good luck, if you are hitting your cal targets, you are doing very well with it already
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Drink tea. Get lots of flavored teas and have 2 or three cups with some stevia and almond milk after dinner. I like chamomile, cinnamon, ginger and peppermint. The warm liquid in your tummy makes it feel like you just ate a big hot meal. Also, it keeps your mouth busy, it tastes sweet like dessert, and it's a very soothing ritual.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options

I'm not talking about eating until I'm full. I'm talking about 1,000-4,000 calorie binges until I feel like I want to throw up. And then eat more. I think that probably counts as binging. Lol. Especially when done multiple times a week. Unfortunately, I cannot skip breakfast and lunch... I become light headed and dizzy after a few hours (and have no energy for my training sessions), but I think the water thing might do the trick. I don't mind being hungry after 2-3 hours, I'll need to eat again by then anyway. I'm trying to break the binging habit to help stabilize my metabolism, so I think the one meal a day thing would be counter productive for me. I appreciate your suggestion though, thank you. :)
    i stand by what I said. You are not eating enough during the day so you binge at night as you said to the tune of 1000-4000 calories. 1200 is NOT enough especially since you appear not to eat back any exercise calories. This has nothing to do with improving your self-control! I stopped bingeing when I learned to feed myself properly and I lost the weight and I'm not feeling like *kitten* anymore from bingeing.
    Eat lots of veggies, especially filling ones like broccoli and cauliflower. Eat good proteins like chicken, fish, eggs, beans, nut butters and some beef. Eat some fruit. Eat some olive oil on those veggies! You started this thread to get some advise. What you are doing is obviously not working for you and yet you will continue doing what isn't working. Makes no sense to me.
  • bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If it seems to happen every day, and at the same time of day, it might help to change things up during that time of day - where you are, what you're normally doing during that time, who you're usually with, especially if it requires your body and brain to focus on something other than food - like ride a bike, take a bath, go for a drive, take a walk, listen to a meditation tape, call someone. This helps me about 90% of the time.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Large amounts of starchy things, like white rice or pasta or bread make me crave sweets like nobody's business. For the most part I've cut them out of my diet and am much happier for it (and have lost 3.5 lbs in a couple weeks), but the other day at work we had a lunch meeting with pizza. I ate two pieces, a whopping 800 caloires, btw, and was starving quickly after. I also immediately craved the M&Ms my coworker keeps at her desk. I don't have that problem when I skip the bread.

Just something to consider...
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    If it seems to happen every day, and at the same time of day, it might help to change things up during that time of day - where you are, what you're normally doing during that time, who you're usually with, especially if it requires your body and brain to focus on something other than food - like ride a bike, take a bath, go for a drive, take a walk, listen to a meditation tape, call someone. This helps me about 90% of the time.

THIS
    save your exercise for during that "weak hour" , or right before the "weak hour" hits, then exercise like HECK! mke that your new "binge" if you change your habits you change your plan ,
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Drinking a lot of water helps, though right before bed might not be a good idea. Maybe a cup or two of decaffeinated green tea. Chewing gum also helps. Try to find something else to do at night when you get these cravings. Maybe go for a walk, jump on the treadmill or elliptical, whatever you have. Maybe an online yoga video? Something else to occupy your time. Also, remind yourself of what your goals are. If you are truly hungry or your body is craving something that it needs, that's fine. But if you aren't hungry and are just eating for the sake of, try to remind yourself of your goals. Maybe post them on the fridge or cupboard, so that when you are about to binge eat, you stop and evaluate if you are really hungry or not. As you said, it does take time, but you will get there. Best of luck.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to overcome the same thing too. The biggest thing that has been helping me is making sure I don't sit around in the evening with nothing to do. Bored and alone is the worst thing for binging. Find a project to work on, invite someone over, get out or even clean house.