Calling all slow runners...

Options
Howbouto
Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
In training, I run a 13:30/mile. My last race, a 10k, my average was a 13:09. I want to sign up for a half on October 6, but there is a 15/mile minimum. I'm scared with that distance I will not be fast enough to complete it in the expected time. Has any other slow runners/joggers, completed a half? If so would you recommend it to another in the turtle club? Any other thoughts?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I am a slow runner. My best 5K time is around 35:30 to 36 minutes. But, once I started training for my half, that time got longer and longer. My typical 5K time now (not in a race, just in a run) is around 39 minutes. I completed my first half in April in 2:51:54 - faster than I thought it would be! What I found is that adding the additional distance didn't really slow me down too much. I think you would be OK with a 15 min pace minimum. I would think it wouldn't push your pace by more than 30 to 45 seconds per mile.
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I finished the one (and only!) half marathon I ran at just over 3 hours. If you are getting your long runs in during training, you'll be fine.
  • runninggirl1981
    Options
    I'm a keen runner and running coach. I hope you don't mind me posting.

If you can run 10k at 13.09 per mile, you DEFINITELY have enough time if you start training now to build up to running a half marathon in October more than quick enough to make that cut off. I'd expect you to be able to do maybe just under 14 min miles for that distance.

And you should definitely give it a go :) It doesn't matter who is at the front, or the back, you are all doing the same race, and it's a great acheivement. Plus it would give you something to work towards. Please don't ever worry about being 'slow'- even just the fact you're out there improving yourself is great.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    OK...I've done 5 Half Marathons and all other manner of races since starting to enjoy walking (mostly) and running (more recently) 7 years ago. It's really only been in the last year (since losing 50 pounds) that I have been able to do anything under the 16 minute mile pace threshold. Here are just a couple of the races I did last year...

September 2012 - 10 miler - 14:10 pace
    October 2012 - 10k - 13:18 pace
    December 2012 - Half Marathon - 13:23 pace

All three of these races I did a run 1 minute/walk 4 minute interval to finish.

So all i can say is if you are currently at 13:09 for a 10k and still 4+ months to train, you will have NO PROBLEM finishing under a 15 minute mile pace....heck I will put money on you being closer to a 12:00 pace.

Good luck and have fun!
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty slow right now too. I average around an 11 minute pace on my current runs but I'm also not pushing myself. My fastest so far has been an 8:30 mile. I plan on doing a half next May and I don't think I'm going to let my slowness stop me from doing it! Just get out there and do your best!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    You should be fine! Im an 11 minute mile runner and I finished my 1/2 marathon in 2:36 which is about 12.5 minute miles. Just ad like a minute to your time or so...
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT! I've seen people speed walk halfs and get in under the allotted time. Just sign up, train, go run it and have a great time!!!!!!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your words of encouragement!! I will be signing up this Thursday (payday)!!! I am very scared but mostly because this is pushing me out of my comfort zone (a good thing.)
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I power walk five miles every morning at a 13:30 pace. That's considerably less than the 15 minute pace you need to finish the race in. You've got the speed, now just build your endurance. Four months is plenty of time to do that in.