frustration!!

Options
Hey everyone!!
I have had weight problems all of my life. Before working in the health care field, 2 and a half years ago, I was 158, size 6, worked out everyday and was good with my weight. I kept my weight off for about the first 8 months working in a hospital then in 3 months I gained 45 pounds out of the blue!! WTH?! Six months later I lost 30 pounds of that. When I started back in school this past fall I gain the 30 pounds back in 1 month, another WTH?!?!
I went to my Doctor with thisin January, he said my thyroid was "fine" (I have a HUGE family history of hypothroidism) and he gave me adipex. I lost 10 pounds in the first 2 weeks with adipex. The next month and a half while eating 1200 calories, I lost NOTHING!!

For the past month I have been trying to get back on the diet. I work 4 12 hour shifts a week at the 8th buisest ER in the nation(I walk and average of 10-15 miles a day at work), I try to walk the neighborhood and lift free weights on my days off from work.

My day usually is filled with this
Breakfast
Plain Oatmeal with 1 tsp of raisins

Lunch
Roman with 2 tbsp of less sugar craisins and 2 tbsp of feta chesse
toped with walden farms salad dressing (zero calories, fat, carbs, or sugars)
and I will usually throw 4 oz of left over protien from the night before (usually chicken)

or

a lean cuisine or a steamer bag when I am rushed

Snack
2 tbsp Hummas with celery and a smart pocket or 1 serving of special k chips

Dinner
usually baked chicken and green beans
and will sometimes have half a glass of red wine with dinner

I am 200 pounds and eating like this and have not lost a pound in a month
Please help!!!!!!!!! :explode:

Replies

• ktblue67
    ktblue67 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have a similar story and identical frustrations. I am a teacher (much like nursing when it comes to stress). I think stress from my job makes me hang on to weight. In addition to maintaining good eating habits, be sure to find outlets for your stress. Yoga, walking, meditation and breathing exercises are all good, fast ways to reduce the stress bug that might be packing on the pounds. I feel ya sister!
  • Reeceybaby1988
    Options
    classic example of what "crash dieting" does to ones body over the years...

lose large amounts of weight on a VLCD, gain it all back when eating normally

read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • tawisdom
    tawisdom Posts: 7
    Options
    I have never "crashed diet." I eated around 1200 calories a day and exercise. Maybe you should look at medical history before you judge someone.
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    "eated"is NOT a word
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    That is bull**** that you aren't losing any weight. Did you figure out the 10-15 miles from a pedometer? Get another dr.'s opinion. Really does sound like something's up.
  • emilydiehl08
    Options
    MAybe you are consuming to few calories. Many people on here state they could not lose anything at 1200 but once they up their daily goal to maybe 1500 they lose pounds.
  • Reeceybaby1988
    Options
    I have never "crashed diet." I eated around 1200 calories a day and exercise. Maybe you should look at medical history before you judge someone.

so you think eating less than 1200 calories a day while also doing excercise is not a crash diet?

my statement still stands true
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It is also possible that your caloric intake is a bit too low. If your body is in starvation/famine mode, your body will cling to every fat cell like it is hooked on with a chain.
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Do you log what you are eating? I'm going to be honest...it's difficult to believe that you are eating like you say every day and not closer to a healthy weight. It's not impossible, but MOST people who are overweight are there because they ate too much. You need to be really, really honest to yourself about exactly what and how much you are eating. That is the first place you should start.

If you log everything you eat for a couple of months or so, stay within your calorie goals, and still aren't losing, that's when I think you should explore other issues. I think when people do this they find that they aren't "usually" eating as well as they thought they were. I think it's really helpful to do MFP with a real life buddy that's around you a lot. A spouse or a friend at work. Somebody who when they catch you with a bag of chips from the vending machine (cause I've worked in a hospital too! lol) will say, "Did you LOG that??"
  • tawisdom
    Options
    ktblue67

I have done yoga at home (the closest gym to my house is forever away) and I have recently even gone and gotten a massage to see if that helps (with relaxation and water retention since I drink a TON of water).
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    For most people it's hard to gain 40 pounds while eating 1200 calories.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Well first off, two things really pop out at me reading this...

If you gained 30 pounds in a month and don't really know why (which would be that you know you were eating over 6,000 calories A DAY) then there is a medical problem. Maybe get another opinion.

And if you are only eating 1,200 calories a day now and exercising plus the 10 - 15 miles you walk just on the job, you are not eating nearly enough. Walking 10 miles even at a slow pace with 1,200 calories of food would net you somewhere around zero calories for the day.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i know after a massage i lose a few milliliters
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Bump it up to around 1600 calories for a week or two and see what happens. Sometimes you just need to change things up a little to see a change.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options

If you gained 30 pounds in a month and don't really know why (which would be that you know you were eating over 6,000 calories A DAY) then there is a medical problem. Maybe get another opinion.

And if you are only eating 1,200 calories a day now and exercising plus the 10 - 15 miles you walk just on the job, you are not eating nearly enough. Walking 10 miles even at a slow pace with 1,200 calories of food would net you somewhere around zero calories for the day.

IF you are telling the truth, it's obviously a medical issue. I agree with ^^^. I think perhaps a second opinion by another doctor would do you some justice.
    Otherwise you may need to bump your calorie intake to about 1400-1500 and start over. 1200 calories at your weight is not enough. Im not being critical at all here, speaking softly with no harsh tone, but you need to understand 1200 cal at your weight is not enough food. If you are eating 1400 to 1500 a day and walking FAST for 45 minutes, four days a week then you would be better off. It's going to take your body a few weeks to adjust, you may even say a pound or two gain, BUT once your metabolim and body adjusts, youll start losing more... and at a healthier level. As you lose weight, then you can start to lower your calories but 1200 should be your ultimate minimum once you are down quite a few pounds.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to change up your diet a little. My dietican told me to change up what I eat. I used to just eat oatmeal everyday for breakfast. Make sure you are having protein and carbs together. Try adding some boiled eggs to your diet and a little more protein. Also beware of the sodium in the pre-packaged meals, it is usually high. Also make sure that you are drinking your water.
  • cdefries
    cdefries Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try changing out the raisins and craisins for blueberries or even almonds. I have a tendency to hold on to weight with dried fruit. Also, do get a second opinion. Drs are human and sometimes just miss the obvious. How are you sleeping? Are you working nights?
  • tawisdom
    Options
    Wow I thought this was for support not to be ridiculed.
    Thought I could ask for different diet ideas
    If yall were nice people that suported one another you would see that
    first off my doctor is a cooke and my thyroid is screwed up (from looking ay my lab values myself)

and eating 1200 calories is not crash dieting it is actually what this website recommened for me.
    also, why would I be lying about this? I would look like an idoit. I did this for help to see if anyone else has had this problem and what thier doctor has said about it.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options

^^This^^
  • tawisdom
    Options
    Try changing out the raisins and craisins for blueberries or even almonds. I have a tendency to hold on to weight with dried fruit. Also, do get a second opinion. Drs are human and sometimes just miss the obvious. How are you sleeping? Are you working nights?

In school sleep like crap
    I dont work nights but I can work from anywhere from 36-60 hours a week