Call for help: Excess Skin?

Options

Replies

• LoudmouthLee
    LoudmouthLee Posts: 358
    Options
    I think I'm going to wait at least until next summer. I hope it'll come back on its own. I'm petrified of surgery. I'd rather NOT go under the knife, but I really want to feel better when i'm not wearing clothing.
  • about_time_4_change
    about_time_4_change Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You should be very proud of yourself for your healthy new lifestyle! I too know what you are going through. I used to be almost 300 pounds. I still have about 40 pounds to lose and I have extra skin that will never go away unless I have surgery. For myself, I am self concious to an extent, but proud at the same time. I remind myself that there is someone out there who will love me for all of me and that at this point in my life, I am not willing to risk my life to have the skin removed. Whatever you choose to do, make sure you do a lot of research. Hold your head up high because you have conquered an amazing task and look awesome! :)
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Same boat man ... Went from 382 to 240 .... I have done alot of reading about dealing with loose skin and there are alot of mixed thoughts. Some say it will gradually come back to were it should, but the longer it was stretched the longer/ less likely that will happen. Other articles talked about this lotion or that lotion, dont waste your money non of them seemed to be any different. But since I lost the weight its been over a year now I have just continued to make sure I stay extra hydrated, and use Coco butter after I shower, and though its not gone, it is noticeably tighter, and hopefully If i keep it up, it will continue to get smaller. Good luck, and congrats man, that's really great work.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I went through the same weight loss and did have to go through the surgery for the loose skin. It was covered by insurance however.
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    According to my scale, I am at around 19.5% body fat. My scale is awesome, but I have no clue how accurate those scales are in re: measurements. Ultimately, I'd love to be at around 15% body fat, but time will tell.

I have a scale. It's pretty consistent in it's readings (which surprised me). For me, it reads anywhere from 4% to 5.5% ABOVE what my body fat is based on a recent Bod Pod test I had performed. Daily, it fluctuates by up to 1.5%, which I find an acceptable difference rate (and lower than I thought it would be).

As for the skin, in looking at your pictures, I doubt that skin will shrink much. It make shrink some, but you are likely looking at surgery to get rid of it. You would likely be very happy with surgical results. I plan to visit a surgeon to discuss options once I'm closer to my goal (maybe another 10 lbs or so). No amount of exercise or time will fix it (it may improve some, but likely not enough to make you comfortable with it). A tummy tuck would make a huge difference and costs are probably from $6K to $10K depending on the Dr and what area you live in.

You can see some before/after photos here: http://www.realself.com/tummy-tuck/before-and-after-photos#tags=8085
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    I think if you can afford it, go for it. You certainly deserve it. Check out realself.com for some people's experiences with the surgery. I don't think too many people regret that one. Great work by the way.
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    You've done a fantastic job. No insight on the skin, going through something similar. Hoping there is more weight I can lose though. Really hope it works for you. Best of luck.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss is awesome and you should be proud of what you have done. The excess skin is a problem for me too and when I think of a tummy tuck the first thing that comes to mind is the "wait time" to exercise I would have to go through after a surgery and that is not so appealing to me. I hit a 90lb loss months ago and have been doing ab specific classes 3x a week for close to five months and got pretty good results, I still have sagging in plank position and it drives me nuts when people keep saying "stop losing weight you look great" yeah when I squish the belly under my belt I do. The skin is annoying, but it is improving with time so hang in there and it should get better for you. Best luck whatever you choose to do.
  • Fisherdh13
    Fisherdh13 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I haven't seen anyone talk about speaking with a skin doctor (dermatologist). If you talk to a surgeon, the answer is surgery . . . Keep working on it. I've only lost 60 pounds but have a similar problem.
  • LoudmouthLee
    Options
    My insurance will cover it if my doctor deems it necessary. I already (Jeez.. am I admitting this out loud?) have "sweat collection issues" underneath the loose skin. It's uncomfortable, and it smells something fierce. I'm meticulous with cleaning the area after a workout and every night, but still...
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    "It's like a tongue!" -- Movie "Click"

That is a lot of extra skin... I can't imagine that going away by Summer.. and if you're already having issues with sweat.. I'd get it removed.
  • tripledipped13
    tripledipped13 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Seriously, congratulations on the weight loss! That is great! But I know you know that :happy: . As far as the surgery, my suggestion would be to give your body about 6 months to a year to catch up with the weight loss so the skin can “shrink” some. I am by no means saying that surgery is wrong in any way what so ever and if it is causing you medical issues (i.e. rashes, infections, sores, ect) and your MD says you need to have it done than do it!
  • thedesertkid
    Options
    I will be in the same boat as you someday.

In fact, I was just researching tummy tuck surgery before I saw this post.

I too, am terrified of surgery. I've never had one and the thought of ever needing one is scary. However, if it is going to make you happy then it may be worth the risks involved. Just know that a tummy tuck is not a simple procedure and it can take a while to fully heal (6 weeks or longer).

I'd like to know what you decide i.e. if you're gonna wait a year to see if your skin tightens a bit or if you get the surgery. Either way, congratulations on far you've come and may you go infinitely farther in the future towards your own happiness.
  • sapphies
    sapphies Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't have advice about the lose skin...I am actually worried about excess skin after I reach my goal. However, you look awesome...great job:drinker:
  • LoudmouthLee
    Options
    I see my regular doctor in a week or two. Please feel free to friend me, and I'll keep you guys in the loop in regards to what I choose to do. If it's not one thing, it's another! :)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Get really lean (as in 6 pack territory, belly like the back of your hand) and cycle bulking/cutting (or get really lean in the process, don't need to be super lean the first go-round).

Something about the calorie surplus and the growth hormones (as in, you have to for real strength train) when bulking does wonders for the skin.

If you don't want to build muscle, suck it up and deal with it, then when you're happy with you skin, quit strength training and diet away your muscles treadmill hamster style.

This won't clear up 100% of loose skin issues, but it will clear up >95% of loose skin issues. You just have to be ready for the fact that your initial weight loss was the easy part and you have way, way further to go, think years (as an aside though, sure is a helpful way to avoid the gaining it all back scenario so many deal with).

You may not want to get super lean, but fact is at whatever your target weight, you will look way better if you reach that target weight gaining from super lean than you will cutting from super fat.

Always remember in the end doctors are trying to sell you services. Of course you need a tummy tuck and there is no other way to get rid of loose skin. Of course those big but fairly thin rolls of fat you have are loose skin you can't get rid of.
  • thedesertkid
    Options
    I see my regular doctor in a week or two. Please feel free to friend me, and I'll keep you guys in the loop in regards to what I choose to do. If it's not one thing, it's another! :)

You've come a long way and the journey is not yet over. However, your past and present victories can serve to drive you forward towards even greater personal fortune.

You really do serve as an inspiration to people like myself, who feel that our goals are nearly impossible and the challenges insurmountable.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    BTW the OP's pics are much moreso loose fat than loose skin.

The fat attached to the skin was deposited when you were much larger. Skin shrinks, fat doesn't. There is stil A LOT of fat on the skin preventing it from shrinking.

I had that exact same thing when planking (lost 75 lbs), now about a year and a half later, its almost fully gone.

As you get leaner it will get looser and shrink more. There will reach a point where the shrinking effect exceeds the loosening effect and the issue that got progressively worse will begin to get progressively better.

Swtiching to a small calorie surplus with strength training will significantly increase the shrink rate once you're on the upslope and its getting better.

The OP appears to still be on the downslope though where it'll continue to get worse before it gets better.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I don't have experience with loose skin, so I'll try not to comment on something I'm not knowledgeable about. I would imagine, though, when you reach your goal weight, if things don't tighten up it may be worth your dollars and time.

I follow a blog called Roni's weigh, a website chronicling a woman's amazing weight loss and maintenance. She had a tummy tuck and doesn't regret it for a second. You can read about it here if that interests you:

http://ronisweigh.com/ronis-updates/tummy-tuck-pictures

Just know that it isn't silly or vain to want one, if that's what you decide :smile:.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!