Lose body fat without cardio?

Options

Replies

• chickadelta
    chickadelta Posts: 43
    Options
    If I can only lift 30kg with real effort, like that is the heaviest for 5 reps I can bench press, is that still 'lifting heavy'?
  • Dr_Gains
    Dr_Gains Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You don't have enough testosterone to bulk. Squats, deadlifts, lunges, pushups to start with. Can't do a single squat on your own? Do it with your back against a wall. Can't do a real pushup on the floor? Start doing them against a wall or on a sturdy counter top.

This!! Compound lifts are the priority.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i sya its not a good idea- u wont see great results-
    and

Cardio strengthens your heart and lungs, improving your maximal oxygen capacity (known as your VO2 max). It also fine-tunes many of the hormonal systems in your body, making you more resilient in stressful situations. It improves your insulin sensitivity, and allows you to better utilize your body fat for energy. Cardio exercise reduces blood pressure, provides a boost in “good” HDL cholesterol, and helps you develop muscle stamina and overall endurance
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    NO But weight training won’t provide everything that cardio can (in the same way that cardio can’t provide the same benefits as weight training).

So, no, you shouldn’t skip your cardio.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If I can only lift 30kg with real effort, like that is the heaviest for 5 reps I can bench press, is that still 'lifting heavy'?

Lifting heavy is what is heavy for you. But then as you gain strength you add more weight.
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Lift :)
  • Dr_Gains
    Options
    For your body and strain it will put on it yes it is. Create a rep range and slowly build up. If you hit within that desired rep range for a certain weight (for example you finally bench 30kg for 3 sets of 6-8) then the next week go to 35kg and keep building it up week to week. It will create progressive overload. You should do this with all lifts and track everything.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/progressive-overload/

this right here is my go to site everything fitness related and has a ton of other helpful articles as well.
  • shrinkingWITS
    shrinkingWITS Posts: 108
    Options
    I havent did cardio in 2 years. A smart strength training routine + calorie deficit + dedication= greased up god like body :)

Clearly the way. :love:
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Aside from walking to and from the train, I don't do cardio. I am somewhere between 18%-19% body fat. I lift heavy. I eat.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm reading the New Rules of Lifting for Women and find it really addresses all of these questions.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30Day shred might be good for you, it does have some cardio but the whole thing is only 20 min long and cardio is 2 min at a time. My results are under the 36 or 5'8' catagory. I lost 9 lbs but if you look at the pic you will see it was all off my stomach area :)http://www.30dsresults.com/
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    i have a question, relatively related.

my husband said i should lift more often than cardio. that's fine. i don't like to sweat so much, anyway. (i know you sweat with weights, but it doesn't pour) anyway, i'm interested in free weights bec i read somewhere that that's better than machine lifting. so...what exercises does anyone recommend? i'd like to be lean, don't want to bulk (sounds like i won't on a deficit anyway, from another thread), but i want to be strong, lean, and smooth. i have access to some weights at work, and would be willing to get a couple handweights if necessary, but i don't know where to start, or where to start looking.

i remember butterflies (i think?) and curls, but that was from high school about 50 million years ago. my knees still hurt (with stairs and a lot of walking), and legs aren't strong yet, so i don't think squats are possible (can't even do them with my own weight, let alone addition weight), but (sadly) my legs are stronger than my arms, and i honestly don't remember anything else.

OP, please don't be upset that i include this here. i don't know how to start my own thread, and these people seem to know what they're talking about. :happy:

thanks for any help.

Do compound lifts: Deadlifts, squats, overhead press, bench press. Add in some accessory lifts, curls, triceps extensions, etc.
    There are great programs out there: Stronglifts, Starting Strength, 5/3/1, Jamie Eason's Live Fit, Beautiful Bad *kitten*, Nerd Fitness, etc.
  • Tazzymk
    Tazzymk Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Im interested in this to. I hate cardio apart from swimming and walking and want to start lifting to loose fat.

What routines are people doing as i want to start doing this at home and dont no where to start or what weights to buy.

Please feel free to add me as i would love hints and tips from people that loose fat by lifting.

Good luck to kassiebby1224

:-)

I lift at home and I love it. I currently working on the "New rules for lifting for women" which is a book you can buy. It's a step by step guide on lifting. There is a group for it on here too, there is also "Strength 5*5" which is meant to be good to.
  • Dr_Gains
    Options
    I havent did cardio in 2 years. A smart strength training routine + calorie deficit + dedication= greased up god like body :)

glad to see someone agrees with my methods lol :P
  • shrinkingWITS
    shrinkingWITS Posts: 108
    Options

uh huh... :love:

:noway: Err yes... I personally hate cardio machines.. I do some after lifting to keep my heart healthy and sometimes it just helps burn off stress and anger (not that I'm some super angry person but...yeah you know what I mean).

Lifting..lifting makes me feel good for days. I'm not one who wants to spend a whole lot of time in the gym either...so my cardio has moved from being obsessed with the treadmill and elliptical to walking outside, going hiking, etc. Three days in the gym lifting, and a tight diet...the diet is the hardest part but in my opinion, the most crucial to weight loss/fat loss.
  • Dr_Gains
    Options

uh huh... :love:

:noway: Err yes... I personally hate cardio machines.. I do some after lifting to keep my heart healthy and sometimes it just helps burn off stress and anger (not that I'm some super angry person but...yeah you know what I mean).

Lifting..lifting makes me feel good for days. I'm not one who wants to spend a whole lot of time in the gym either...so my cardio has moved from being obsessed with the treadmill and elliptical to walking outside, going hiking, etc. Three days in the gym lifting, and a tight diet...the diet is the hardest part but in my opinion, the most crucial to weight loss/fat loss.

pretty much the same things i do (except 4 days cause i do a upper lower split) and yes diet is #1. you truly are what you eat. I do believe cardio is really important for overall cardiovascular health but like you i refuse to get it by a treadmill or gym setting. Outside being active is for that. I refuse to be a hamster damnit
  • fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I do the bare minimum for cardio, usually just a 10 minute warm up before I lift and that's it. I lift five days a week, compound lifts and isolation exercises. I've been steadily losing body fat over the last two months eating at a deficit. Before that, I was doing a lot of intense cardio, only lifting three days a week and eating less than I am now. A big fat nada for results. Scale didn't move, body was still squishy and fat was going nowhere. I didn't see changes until I dialed back the cardio and focused on strength training. So I say lift hard and heavy, eat at a moderate deficit and be patient. Take measurements and don't rely on the scale.
  • jjrjmedeiros
    jjrjmedeiros Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I loathe cardio. I seriously think that treadmills and elliptical machines are like medieval torture devices... (but that's just my opinion). I lift heavy at LEAST 3 times a week (I love love love lifting) and to squeeze in a little bit of cardio, I will do a HIIT workout since they are very short. I don't mind going intense, as long as it's short. For me, I have found that this combination works best.

Side Note: I also only *weigh* five pounds less than I did at my heaviest, but I had no muscle at the time and my clothes fit so much better now. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    i sya its not a good idea- u wont see great results-
    and

Cardio strengthens your heart and lungs, improving your maximal oxygen capacity (known as your VO2 max). It also fine-tunes many of the hormonal systems in your body, making you more resilient in stressful situations. It improves your insulin sensitivity, and allows you to better utilize your body fat for energy. Cardio exercise reduces blood pressure, provides a boost in “good” HDL cholesterol, and helps you develop muscle stamina and overall endurance
    HIIT training does the same which can be applied with weights and short rest intervals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition