I can't eat enough

Options
I always said if I kept track, I was not even eating 1000 calories a day! ok, so how did I get so big if I eat below that some days.....laziness. So now that I am up with all the energy I still find I am some days only intaking 600 a day, feeling pretty good, not hungry, energetic, but I know I can't lose any weight at this rate. Any feed back on this

Replies

• cvb_2006
    cvb_2006 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? And do you do any walking? Other physical activities?
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Calorie and nutrient dense foods - peanut butter, avocado, cottage cheese, protein powder shakes, lean meats, nuts
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I always said if I kept track, I was not even eating 1000 calories a day! ok, so how did I get so big if I eat below that some days.....laziness. So now that I am up with all the energy I still find I am some days only intaking 600 a day, feeling pretty good, not hungry, energetic, but I know I can't lose any weight at this rate. Any feed back on this

What happens is our bodies adjust to the lower caloric intake - we lose lean body mass, mess up our hormones and slow our metabolism. The result? Weight gain because our caloric needs get so low...so, gradually increase your calories to a reasonable deficit from your TDEE (many threads about this), stay off the scale in between (we have a tendency to gain when we reset our food levels, but it is temporary), and maintain the new caloric amount for 4-6 weeks at least. Also, add weight training to maintain and maybe gain (at first) a little lean body mass to help increase your metabolism. (NROLFW is a great start with lost of info, science to back it up, and workout troutines for 6 months). For example, I am 5'2" tall, 42 years old and moderately active (3 weight training sessions per week) and I eat 2000 calories per day for about a third of a pound loss each week (I only have 8 pounds to go)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    nonsense...how the hell did you get here if you can't eat enough? Seriously...just eat some friggin' food. Knock off the no fat/low fat bull****...the '80s are over, fat doesn't make you fat and you need about 20-30% of your diet to be fat for proper nutrition. Flippin' birds can eat more than 600 calories...the reason you're not feeling "hungry" is that when you go low cal, your body floods itself with the hormone leptin...this signals your brain that you are full...it is a defense mechanism against the dis-comforts of famine and starvation. Friggin' eat.