Is there any reason not to eat a Steak every Day?

Options

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Testosterone!
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Steak every day is one of my long term goals. Don't believe the scaremongering, no one can show you a study that shows a STEAK a day causes cancer - they will show you dodgy reports about 'red meat' but I still wouldn't listen to them. The only health issue you might consider is that grain fed cattle which is the standard in the states has a poor fatty acid profile, but grass fed's fat profile is excellent.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    35nli6.jpg
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have no worries about the meat quality. I live in austria and a huge part of the country looks like this:

bk_pr_106.jpg
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Also, steak is one of the best sources for creatine.
  • IMD918
    IMD918 Posts: 49
    Options
    the thing is: I consume 175gramms of Protein every day. I already eat a lot of poultry and fish and would keep on eating those despite of all the steak since 300g of steak equal 60-70 g of protein... the other two meals would be fish or chicken and i usually have eggs or cheese or something like that for breakfast.

And i would grill it actually, thats what makes it so convenient.(on an electric grill)

I already switch up different seasonings and side dishes to keep all the meat i'm eating from being dull.

Does anyone know of any specific health concerns that come with that much beef that are not caused by overall fat consumption?

I realize that it is a common thought that you need to eat a gram of protein per pound of body weight, but it really isn't necessary. Anything after 0.8 grams per pound of body weight is pretty much a waste. The body can't really absorb any more than that unless you are on steroids. I was doing the same thing as you, eating 160+ grams of protein every day, until I heard the 0.8x rule. Now I'm only taking in about 120-130 and seeing the same results. It is a lot easier for me to get that amount of protein, and my meals are a lot more flexible now (before I was having to eat lean chicken twice a day to meet my goals).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    You'll run out of A-1 sauce for rice?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    the thing is: I consume 175gramms of Protein every day. I already eat a lot of poultry and fish and would keep on eating those despite of all the steak since 300g of steak equal 60-70 g of protein... the other two meals would be fish or chicken and i usually have eggs or cheese or something like that for breakfast.

And i would grill it actually, thats what makes it so convenient.(on an electric grill)

I already switch up different seasonings and side dishes to keep all the meat i'm eating from being dull.

Does anyone know of any specific health concerns that come with that much beef that are not caused by overall fat consumption?

I realize that it is a common thought that you need to eat a gram of protein per pound of body weight, but it really isn't necessary. Anything after 0.8 grams per pound of body weight is pretty much a waste. The body can't really absorb any more than that unless you are on steroids. I was doing the same thing as you, eating 160+ grams of protein every day, until I heard the 0.8x rule. Now I'm only taking in about 120-130 and seeing the same results. It is a lot easier for me to get that amount of protein, and my meals are a lot more flexible now (before I was having to eat lean chicken twice a day to meet my goals).

You got a scientific source for that statement?
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you are going to eat that much of it, you might want to look into getting a whole or half cow directly from a butcher. They would be local animals, and much fresher and tastier, and cheaper, if you have a good deep freezer...
  • _Countryboy_
    Options
    All that red meat might give you the GOUT!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    image.png
  • 0OneTwo3
    Options

that is highly dependent on the activity level and the sort of the activity.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    This article gets thrown about as proof of the danger of bacon and other processed meats, but take a look at the more interesting results on red meat consumption: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/11/63

Eat your steak.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I don't like steak. y'all can have mine kthnx.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

You got a scientific source for that statement?

My understanding is that these are baseline needs for strength training, and not what is considered optimal. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much in the way of conclusive evidence for what the optimal amount of protein for building and maintaining muscle mass is, so the common wisdom of 1 gram or slightly more per pound of LBM is probably a wise move.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    May I suggest you share the steak?? With me, specifically... In case you didn't get that that was implied. I'd like the steak. In my mouth. Now.
  • 0OneTwo3
    Options
    The studies i found are inconclusive. Some pro and some contra red meat consumption. See the posted studies above.

The other thing i found is that this seems to be a common thing in powerlifting. I doubt a guy that eats 4kg of steak a week but totals north of 1700 lbs has health issues...

So i'm not really worried anymore (Yay Steak!)
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    No. It's fine. Rumors of your imminent demise are greatly exaggerated.

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/121/21/2271.long
    Background— Meat consumption is inconsistently associated with development of coronary heart disease (CHD), stroke, and diabetes mellitus, limiting quantitative recommendations for consumption levels. Effects of meat intake on these different outcomes, as well as of red versus processed meat, may also vary.

Methods and Results— We performed a systematic review and meta-analysis of evidence for relationships of red (unprocessed), processed, and total meat consumption with incident CHD, stroke, and diabetes mellitus. We searched for any cohort study, case-control study, or randomized trial that assessed these exposures and outcomes in generally healthy adults. Of 1598 identified abstracts, 20 studies met inclusion criteria, including 17 prospective cohorts and 3 case-control studies. All data were abstracted independently in duplicate. Random-effects generalized least squares models for trend estimation were used to derive pooled dose-response estimates. The 20 studies included 1 218 380 individuals and 23 889 CHD, 2280 stroke, and 10 797 diabetes mellitus cases. Red meat intake was not associated with CHD (n=4 studies; relative risk per 100-g serving per day=1.00; 95% confidence interval, 0.81 to 1.23; P for heterogeneity=0.36) or diabetes mellitus (n=5; relative risk=1.16; 95% confidence interval, 0.92 to 1.46; P=0.25). Conversely, processed meat intake was associated with 42% higher risk of CHD (n=5; relative risk per 50-g serving per day=1.42; 95% confidence interval, 1.07 to 1.89; P=0.04) and 19% higher risk of diabetes mellitus (n=7; relative risk=1.19; 95% confidence interval, 1.11 to 1.27; P<0.001). Associations were intermediate for total meat intake. Consumption of red and processed meat were not associated with stroke, but only 3 studies evaluated these relationships.

Conclusions— Consumption of processed meats, but not red meats, is associated with higher incidence of CHD and diabetes mellitus. These results highlight the need for better understanding of potential mechanisms of effects and for particular focus on processed meats for dietary and policy recommendations.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    mmm heart disease!!!!

red meat is disgusting.