best ways to speed up metabolism

Options
Hi I was just wondering what can I do to speed up my metabolism? Are there exercies I should be doing? Do certain foods help? supplements? let me know what has worked for you.

Replies

• clobern
    clobern Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Best things I can think of...

Eat breakfast!!
    Eat 5-6 meals throughout the day instead of 3 large meals
    Drink Green Tea
    High Intensity Interval Training
    Weight lifting - muscle means more fat burning
    Whole grain, fruits and veggies with lean proteins
  • cyndilie
    cyndilie Posts: 52
    Options
    Just had a visit with a dietician regarding my slow moving metabolism. She said eat three meals a day plus snacks in between, especially breakfast, which I normally don't do, and exercise, preferrably with weights (again not something I normally do). Minimum calories per day 1,200, not incuding eating back exercise calories burned.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have seen really good believable data on is HIIT. It was discovered almost by accident by college cross country runners cross training with the sprinters. They started dropping weight until they upped their calories (they were on regimented diets). The problem with HIIT (Google is your friend if you don't know what it is) is that it is extremely difficult to do effectively unless you are in top shape. I try to do it sometimes by jogging a couple of miles and then interspersing wind sprints during the next mile. It is all I can do to make it back home and collapse after a few sprints and I am not sure I really did enough to kick in the metabolic effect.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    A lot of sources I have read indicate eating spicy foods help too.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Lift weights to build lean muscle mass. Muscle will cause your body to burn through more calories as it takes more energy to keep more muscle. As for eating more frequently throughout the day - I don't really buy into that for keeping metabolism high. It's more or less a preference based on my appetite.

ETA: you can also do body weight bearing exercise as long as it is challenging your muscles.
  • marita_mimi
    marita_mimi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    HIIT bodyweight exercises
    squat jumps, burpees, sprints, etc
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    i am sorry but ... O,o is that Gumby *jealous*
  • jangier
    jangier Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Best things I can think of...

Eat breakfast!!
    Eat 5-6 meals throughout the day instead of 3 large meals
    Drink Green Tea
    High Intensity Interval Training
    Weight lifting - muscle means more fat burning
    Whole grain, fruits and veggies with lean proteins

This advice is AWESOME and totally agree!!!!
  • Caitlinhappymeal
    Caitlinhappymeal Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    just keep moving, be as active as you can
  • justinhemker
    justinhemker Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Run like you stole something. :wink:

Start off with a healthy breakfast and eat small meals throughout the day.
    Drink green tea.
    Get enough exercise AND sleep.
    Build more lean muscle mass.
  • hhansing
    hhansing Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The Metabolic Effect sounds like what is what you need. There are tons of recipes and workouts that will jump start fat loss. I swear by this. Take a look at the blog posts and you'll be fascinated by the science behind it all. Its a lifestyle change, remember that!

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief, you will not speed up your metabolism by eating breakfast or by eating 5-6 times a day. Every time you eat something, there is a thermic effect proportional to the number of calories you take in (10 pecent I thought). So while technically you are expending energy to digest/process the calories, the "boost" in metabolism is only temporary. So you would have to eat 100 calories to burn 10 that way.

The only way I know of to increase your basal metabolism is to increase your lean mass, but I don't believe it is a significant increase.

Instead of worrying about how to speed up your metabolism with gimmicks, you are better off working your calories into the metabolism you have right now.
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Eat often. I eat every two to three hours and it has speeded my metabolism up no end!