Is there any reason not to eat a Steak every Day?

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    The studies i found are inconclusive. Some pro and some contra red meat consumption. See the posted studies above.

The other thing i found is that this seems to be a common thing in powerlifting. I doubt a guy that eats 4kg of steak a week but totals north of 1700 lbs has health issues...

So i'm not really worried anymore (Yay Steak!)

Yay steak me too. I love me some steak and it's the best part of hubby's annoying paleo diet is that he is no longer anything close to vegetarian like he was when I met him. Yay for me cause I can eat some meat.

The only thing I would say, is I feel in my gut, that variety and moderation are necessary to getting all the right nutrients. I feel like I've been healthiest whenever my diet has been very varied and it sounds like your's still will be. So as long as all that steak doesn't get in the way of other things that have other nutritional benefits to offer, it seems like a yum idea to me.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Red meat takes the longest time to digest, about 48hrs, so it's not good to eat it daily.
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    As long as it works for you. go for it...
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    cooking every single day sucks balls. Cook 2-3 portions at a time and then you'll only have to cook every 3rd day or so. (eggs don't reheat all that well so unless its boiled eggs maybe skip cooking eggs in bulk).

In reply to your actual question I think you could eat steak every day. Most weeks I have mince 4-6 days a week. Watch the fat on your steak though. Steak is so good, if it wasn't so expensive where I live I would eat it 3 nights a week!!
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that these are baseline needs for strength training, and not what is considered optimal. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much in the way of conclusive evidence for what the optimal amount of protein for building and maintaining muscle mass is, so the common wisdom of 1 gram or slightly more per pound of LBM is probably a wise move.

Thanks BI!
  • Benson1127
    Benson1127 Posts: 4
    Options
    All steaks are not considered equal. Tenderloin is more low fat and isn't a terrible option as a protein. If you are trying to lose weight though, eating a ribeye every day is probably not the best thing.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I realize there is no inherently bad food but on the other hand i'm a little worried about consuming up to 2kg of beef every week.

Why? Why be worried?

So you can face a couple things:
    Boredom. Yup, steak can get boring. I got bored of lobster after having it at work every day for like 5 months.
    Industrial steaks, you know the stuff you get at the local supermarket... filled with some things that may not be the best for you.
    Expensive - not sure about you, but I can easily find places to spend $17-18 a pound for marginal beef at the market.

Now, if you do want to go this route, some things I'd suggest:
    Buy a cow from a 4H auction. Those 4H kids take exemplary care of their meat. No antibiotic baths, the animal has a name, etc. Buy a whole or a side. If I wanted to eat enough beef for it, I could get a quarter side for about $2-3 a pound after butchering, a half a little less, and a whole a good number less. That's from a small vendor supplier here, and add about a buck for a cow from an auction, but those are whole animals only.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that these are baseline needs for strength training, and not what is considered optimal. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much in the way of conclusive evidence for what the optimal amount of protein for building and maintaining muscle mass is, so the common wisdom of 1 gram or slightly more per pound of LBM is probably a wise move.

Thanks BI!

The research is out there and easily found at a website called scholar.google.com

I had a few articles until Monday when I had a full windows meltdown and lost ALL DATA. Basically, there is research showing that .6-.8g is optimal. Over it is waste. Again, go look it up, don't take my word for it.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Bowel cancer. Not saying you shouldn't eat it, but there's a reason for moderation.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/red-meat.aspx
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    image.png

^^^ this x1000 :drinker:

I get an amazing grass fed beef tenderloin and eat it rare (just slightly seared), by a ton!
    Great source of protein and deliciousness!
  • spetermann190
    spetermann190 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Just left grocery store - porterhouse, ribeye, KC strip, even some charcoal steaks ... I vote Yes!!! Steak each & every day :)))
  • Skratchie
    Skratchie Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I love steak, but I would be concerned about the saturated fat every day.
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Just left grocery store - porterhouse, ribeye, KC strip, even some charcoal steaks ... I vote Yes!!! Steak each & every day :)))

May I come over to your house, plz?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I would eat a grass fed steak every day if I could! I'm envious....:drinker:
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

May I come over to your house, plz?

There is a butcher i walk past every day on my way home. i guess me and him will become really good friends.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    The research is out there and easily found at a website called scholar.google.com

Bookmarked. I had forgotten that Google Scholar existed. This is going to make research papers infinitely easier.
    I had a few articles until Monday when I had a full windows meltdown and lost ALL DATA. Basically, there is research showing that .6-.8g is optimal. Over it is waste.

I will, thanks.
    Again, go look it up, don't take my word for it.

I wish more people were this direct and honest about things on MFP. This is probably the best anti-broscience message someone could send.
  • jmessina205
    jmessina205 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    image.png

This!!!!!

Love me some steak. Although it sounds like bank account suicide to eat that much lol...... by the way feel free to share :love:
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I love steak, but I would be concerned about the saturated fat every day.

Why? Saturated fat is necessary. Trans fats are the ones to avoid.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    $$$$$

You can prepare steaks many different ways with a near infinite number of sides...

I'm betting that much red meat might eventually be a problem.